Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
warrenoliver
I just installed sawzall-smiley.gif a new Bursch exhaust on my 73 2.0. The exhaust that I ordered from "the bird" has the pipes welded to the muffler. When I took off the old muffler, I noticed that the muffler is bolted to the pipes WTF.gif . So, looks like even though my muffler went bad, the pipes are in pretty good shape.
Is there any value to these pipes confused24.gif ? What are they called? These are the pipes that bolt directly to the heat exchanger pipes. They are attached to the 2 heat exchanger pipes with the usual 3 bolt arrangement. It seems to me that a different muffler could be attached to these pipes and someone could have a cheap replacement muffler.
Is it worth screwing around with these, or should I just pitch them along with the old/holey muffler?

Thanks.

Warrenoliver
rhodyguy
given the price of new burschs and complete systems in general, they may be of value to someone wanting to simply attach a new muffler to your old piping. try selling it. you could have done the muffler for less than the price of the new bursch.

k
warrenoliver
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 24 2007, 04:26 PM) *

given the price of new burschs and complete systems in general, they may be of value to someone wanting to simply attach a new muffler to your old piping. try selling it. you could have done the muffler for less than the price of the new bursch.

k

Yeah, now I know that! chair.gif Maybe I can make a little to help pay for the new one and at the same time help out a fellow teener.

Warrenoliver
SGB
I believe someone added a flange to prevent having to replace the entire unit agian. The pipes themselves are called an extractor. When I replaced my Bursch, I got just the muffler from somewhere and had it welded on. Looks to me like a PO had decided that was impractical, as was tossing the pipes with the muffler, so he welded flanges on to allow bolting up. I don't think you can buy a flanged Bursch though, It would always require at least that much modification.
Dave_Darling
Could be that the old one is a "Sebring"; I remember that those were a lot like a Bursch but with a flange for a bolt-on muffler.

--DD
Joe Ricard
Agree with Dave.
warrenoliver
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 25 2007, 02:01 AM) *

Could be that the old one is a "Sebring"; I remember that those were a lot like a Bursch but with a flange for a bolt-on muffler.

--DD

Dave,

If I post a photo or two of the contraption, would you be able to tell if it is a Sebring? I would like to know what it is before I try to pedal it. I glanced at the weld job on the flange and it is pretty good - if it is added later, someone did a nice job.

Warrenoliver
Dave_Darling
How about this?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca...f_pg1.htm#item2

--DD
McMark
Pipe value = very little to zero. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.