Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In 10-20 years.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
I'm thinking of selling my 914 and pennying up for a more modern, more reliable car. Starting college this fall and I really am scared that I can't rely on the 914 as my daily driver. To work and back everyday, and to school. I'm not sure it'll hold up. I really love the car. Have put SO much time, money and effort into it (yet it's still a junker rolleyes.gif ) and holds great sentimental value to me. I know I'd miss it big time. But the practicality part of me is becoming more eminent.

So in 10-20 years, what do you think the status of the 914 will be? Will I be able to find another one at a reasonable price? I know value will go up. Or would I be saying goodbye to the 914 forever?

What do you think...... ?
914nerd
I say keep the teen and make it into a DD
These cars have pretty good reliability if they are properly cared for and in the right shape
I know that I'm not going to be getting rid of mine (same position you're in, but at a school that doesn't allow freshmen to have cars)
Also, where are you going to school?
Public transportation maybe?
jonferns
These cars have pretty good reliability if they are properly cared for and in the right shape

agree.gif -JON
Hammy
QUOTE(914nerd @ Jul 24 2007, 02:38 PM) *

I know that I'm not going to be getting rid of mine (same position you're in, but at a school that doesn't allow freshmen to have cars)

I'm going to school in town. no long distances. I've considered public transport but PT here is kind of a pain really. I highly doubt I could pull it off.
Why doesn't your school let freshmen have cars?
plymouth37
I say keep it, ask any old geezer about the car he regrets selling as a kid, they all have a story. I had a 914 as a daily driver when I was in college in wyoming, I drove it every day most of the time in the snow, it will be a pain in the ass sometimes but I guarantee you will not regret your decision in the long run. If you like your car keep it, the rest will fall into place.
Dana.
G e o r g e
QUOTE(Hammy @ Jul 24 2007, 03:00 PM) *

because ALL freshman are on double secret probation cool_shades.gif
914nerd
QUOTE(Hammy @ Jul 24 2007, 04:00 PM) *

QUOTE(914nerd @ Jul 24 2007, 02:38 PM) *

I'm going to school in town. no long distances. I've considered public transport but PT here is kind of a pain really. I highly doubt I could pull it off.

Not enough space
Middle of St. Louis and not as much parking space as would be needed
Not that it really matters due to the fact that the PT there is good and free to students
John
I drove mine to school basically on a daily basis. I was kind of lucky as the Engineering School was off the main campus and we had our own Private Parking Lot.

My opinion is to purchase a POS as a backup, but keep your 914 as a driver. (It's always good to have spare vehicles.).

Lavanaut
Well, if it's going to take you 10-20 years to graduate from college, I'd say you have other "more important" things to worry about... huh.gif

biggrin.gif
Dr. Roger
It's interesting to note. My daily driver, a Toyota Tacoma 4X4, just blew a head gasket and is in the shop for a week. So now my V8 914 is my daily driver.

I know that if anything goes wrong with the 914 I can fix it fairly quick and for a reasonable cost.

Sounds like you have invested much time into your 914 and probably have a lot of knowledge on how to fix her. I'd hate to see all that experience go to waste. :evil_grin:
Zaney
In central Cali you can get away with a motorcycle or even a bicycle for a commuter. How many hills do you have to climb? Keep the 914! Mine is my DD and I get rained on 3/4 of the year despite poor defrost! driving.gif
I am sure you can find a disposable car on Craigslist for less than $500 if you need to drive. Good Luck!
BahnBrenner914
I'm in the middle of my 4 years of engineering school and I've driven my 914 maybe 20 miles (most of them not enjoyable, read my threads) and it stays here when I'm across the country at school for 8-9 months a year. I thought about selling it so I'd have some money for other things, but this is my porsche and I've put a lot of work into it.

Plus, I probably wouldn't get enough money to compensate for the fun I can have in it. driving.gif
Andyrew
Ask scott carlsburg about his 914..

He drove it daily for 10 years, then got something with AC...

I drove mine semi daily for about 2...

And let me tell you.... Theres a reason im driving an Audi a4 right now...

Call it blasphemy, but I have more fun in my audi than I ever did in the 914... A turbo and AWD helps.

Andrew
Jake Raby
The reliability is in YOUR control...

Every car I own is 31+ years old and all are aircooled, that never stops me from driving them anywhere at any time without worry. I drive 83 miles roundtrip per day and go for weeks ata time without even checking my oil- because I know the car, know the engine and know when it needs something.

The WORST thing for these cars is NOT being driven, drive it daily, keep it serviced and don't worry about it.

Fact is that any car like the 914 is appreciating in value daily, puting money into these cars is an investment. Buying a new radiator ladedn, plastic piece of recycled garbage is just a "not so smart" purchase as it depreciates immediately.

drive it.
914nerd
agree.gif
Drive it and have fun with it
Mine has been a DD since I got it a little over a year ago
The only times it has not been usable have been my fault (replacing things and improving things and sometimes taking on more than I really had the time for)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.