Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clear coating the fan shroud?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mike373
Just in the middle of wire brushing the fan shroud.... It is looking very nice and shiny. I was wondering if any of you have clear coated the fan shroud after polishing it up?? And will clear coat stick well to the material?

Mike
Joe Ricard
POR-15 clear. About the only thing that will stand up to oil vapor puking on it.

You could get it ceramic coated.

I am just goig to POR-15 engine enamel mine Yellow of course.
mike373
So ..... regular Krylon clear would suck???? I do have por-15....but in black. Hmmmmm....

Mike
ptravnic
I had mine blasted & powder coated clear. If I had to do it again, I'd powder coat it a silver(ish) color.

-pt
lotus_65
i cleaned mine and rattle-canned it clear. it looks cool, factory style but it's not as easy to clean.

one thing to note, make sure you grind the ground points after coating (and anything else you coat). you want to make sure everything conducts correctly.
IronHillRestorations
I've bead blasted, cleaned, and then used high temp clear. It worked pretty well for me. You've got to clean and de-grease it good.
geniusanthony
While waiting for parts to get done at the machine shop I used a mouse sander and a dremel to smooth and then polish my shroud and top of engine cases.
Sorry no pics. car is 10000 miles away.
The metal isn't the best with pores and irregular spots here and there
but it looked decent when done.
To final polish and protect I used aluminum polish with a coat of Carnauba(sp) wax after complete.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.