Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I hate scams
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jonferns
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-Porsch...1QQcmdZViewItem

It's great at taking pics from old auctions and using them as his own ar15.gif
EdwardBlume
How can you tell he's a scammer and can you report him? It does seem suspicious that someone who racks up feedback selling albums suddenly is selling a 914-6 AND wants outside correspondence on email.

Scammers suck. chair.gif
jonferns
That same /6 was for sale a few weeks ago on ebay, and the seller was asking alot more. Its also fishy that they ask to contact them outside of ebay, and ebay does warn against this!
skline
And they only want $8k for it? It sure does sound fishy to me. stromberg.gif
tdgray
idea.gif hmmm location listed as Akron, Ohio... hmm that just so happens to be where I am from...hmm

Damn though if this picture sure does not look like any landscape of Akron I have ever seen. Mountains and tropical foliage... I think not.

If anyone is interested I can email them and ask to see the car in person.

mudfoot76
QUOTE(tdgray @ Jul 25 2007, 09:20 AM) *

If anyone is interested I can email them and ask to see the car in person.

For $hits and giggles, why not? And if the car is real, and he only wants 8k happy11.gif
kconway
Hmmm, yep something very fishy I'd say. Looky here: http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.co.../4/89634024.htm

In Torrance, Ca. 7/21. with a phone number too!
boxstr
bid the auction up to $125,000. then back out.
CCL
boxstr
bid the auction up to $125,000. then back out.
CCL
tdgray
I emailed the seller asking to see the car.

should be interesting idea.gif
BKLA
QUOTE(tdgray @ Jul 25 2007, 08:02 AM) *

I emailed the seller asking to see the car.

should be interesting idea.gif

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
happy11.gif
jonferns
Group buy?
G e o r g e
sellers email response

Hello,

Thank you for inquiring for my car, that i have listed on eBay( 8.000$ with an $4,000 deposit).The shipping/handling fees will vary depending on your location and will be covered by the buyer.The car is in perfect condition and it has not even a scratch or damage, it has not been involved in a accident,clear title and it is a US registered car. The paint is in fantastic condition as in the trim grill, bumpers etc. The wheels are in "as new" condition with no abrasions and the tires are in excellent condition (10-15% usage).The interior of this vehicle has no tears, burns, nor worn spots on the seats or anywhere else, smoke free(I don't smoke).The car drives and looks brand new and has an accident free history.
If you are interested in buying the car please email me back asap...

Thanks,

G e o r g e
where do you apply for US registration? is it good for life chairfall.gif
jonferns
Did he sign his name in the email?
jhadler
Seems the auction has already been pulled. So long sir scamsalot...

-Josh2
Dr Evil
As far as I know, if you put the word CASH as a form a payment in your ad they pull it. I dont know why, but I have heard this from many sellers after reposting their ads (all annoyed, of course). Still, sounds like a scam. I would have guessed that back drop to be CA, deserty with desert shrubs.
G e o r g e
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jul 25 2007, 09:43 AM) *

did he put his name at the end?

no name

email addy: hsh yyaya <berylan212@yahoo.com>
G e o r g e
latest response to me telling him i would fly in with cash tomorrow

Hello,
Thanks for your e-mail, I will not be able to meet anyone at this time, as my work requires a lot of travel in the country, this is why I choosed ebay to handle the transaction for us. Please let me know if I can make the arrangements with them and they will send you the transaction confirmation.
Regards!!!
jonferns
av-943.gif
Brian Mifsud
He is currently corresponding with me, ignoring the question as far as where the car is.

I'd love to pull the "cashiers" check scam on HIM.

There was a priceless website years ago called "Scamming the Scammers" where a British guy managed to get $2K out of the Nigerian. It was a saga that went on for months.
jhadler
QUOTE(Brian Mifsud @ Jul 25 2007, 12:04 PM) *

He is currently corresponding with me, ignoring the question as far as where the car is.

Tell the "seller" you're willing to pay a bunch o' cash, but must inspect the car in person to do so. And I think pulling the cashier's check routine on him might be enough to flush him/her/it out.

-Josh2
tdgray
Hmmm... wonder why he never emailed me back but he will correspond with you guys out of the state blink.gif biggrin.gif confused24.gif dry.gif
mudfoot76
QUOTE(tdgray @ Jul 25 2007, 04:21 PM) *

Hmmm... wonder why he never emailed me back but he will correspond with you guys out of the state blink.gif biggrin.gif confused24.gif dry.gif

Maybe if you tell him you are actually in Nigeria, but keep an Akron mailing address for purposes of exporting your millions of pounds of gold boullion, he'll reply to you biggrin.gif
levonfarra
It might be Legitimate. I spoke to the owner on the phone, told her I lived locally and she told me the car was in riverside and I could inspect it.
jonferns
Riverside, OH?
tdgray
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jul 25 2007, 05:35 PM) *

riverside, OH?

No such aminal that I know of blink.gif
jonferns
It might be Legitimate. I spoke to the owner on the phone, told her I lived locally and she told me the car was in riverside and I could inspect it.

you contacted the owner on the ebay listing? today?

riverside, OH?

the reason I ask is because you said that the car was located in OH, and "levonfarra" said that it is in riverside.....

kconway
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jul 25 2007, 02:56 PM) *

riverside, OH?

the reason I ask is because you said that the car was located in OH, and "levonfarra" said that it is in riverside.....

-JON

As I eluded to in my earlier post, this car is for sale here: http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.co.../4/89634024.htm

The ad lists the car in Torrance, CA. but has a phone number listed that looks to be from Riverside, CA. At $29K, I'd say that ad was legit, perhaps overpriced but legit.

Kevin
nomore9one4
QUOTE(kconway @ Jul 25 2007, 02:12 PM) *

QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jul 25 2007, 02:56 PM) *

riverside, OH?

-JON

As I eluded to in my earlier post, this car is for sale here: http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.co.../4/89634024.htm

The ad lists the car in Torrance, CA. but has a phone number listed that looks to be from Riverside, CA. At $29K, I'd say that ad was legit, perhaps overpriced but legit.

Kevin

I think the problem in question is in the ebay ad. Not the classified ad. type.gif
sww914
Earlier I read an ebay review on the subject of scams. It sees that all of the scams have a couple of things in common- some urgency as far as the buyer sending a deposit, usually western union, and they all look like they were written by somebody that grew up speaking a different language. Their language flaws are subtle but the ad just feels weird when you read it. Also, there's usually a mention of how busy the seller is, traveling for work, and usually they say that they're doing it for their spouse or that they must sell because of an ill spouse or a job transfer. Also, they offer lots of different guarantees, ebay buyer protection, paypal buyer protection, whatever.
So the common elements that I see are
1 Urgent need for deposit.
2 Strange form of english.
3 unnecessary mention of spouse or work troubles.
4 all kinds of guarantees
As usual, if it doesn't ring true, it's probably a scam.
jonferns
5. stating "do not bid, or I will cancel your bid", contact them first
6. warning to not contact them through ebay, as it doesnt work for them, etc.

G e o r g e
Hello,
Thanks for your e-mail. To start the transaction with ebay I will need your name and shipping address. Please provide those infos and ebay will contact you real soon.
Regards!!!

G e o r g e
edited
SLITS
I may have been the one that ruined all youse guys fun .... I sent eBay a message with the auction number and the link to the classified ad. Seems eBay thought the same thing as I and others did ..... they jerked the jerk.
G e o r g e
he is still trying to get me to send him money to an account in Florida

i had posted the email, but i didn't want somebody clicking on his links and sighing on to eBay through him, giving him their account login

this email bantering has given me something to do in between reading the latest post on Howard hands.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.