Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: will a 225 pressure plate fit a 901 bellhousing?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
blink.gif

so i've been busy changing the clutch on my car, just got to the point where i was going to put the tranny back on and it's not sliding on.

tried for half an hour, no luck.

then i grab the box the new clutch and pressureplate came in and the box says:

"KEP 915 225mm"

will the 225 pressure plate for the 915 fit inside the 901 housing or am i F U C K E D ???
headbang.gif

i'm stranded at McMarks shop, i don't have a ride home and McMark is not here today.
please tell me it ain't so ...
unsure.gif Andy
skline
I have a 228mm for mine and the Chalon ran the Kevlar 228mm so it will fit.
SirAndy
QUOTE(skline @ Jul 24 2007, 08:10 PM) *

I have a 228mm for mine and the Chalon ran the Kevlar 228mm so it will fit.

well, what the ffff is holding it up then?
it's not even close to sliding in, still at least 1" to go or so ...

??? confused24.gif
John
Did you use a centering tool for the disc when you tightened up the pressure plate? (I sure hope so)

Tried putting trans in gear and turning the output flanges to turn the input shaft?
neo914-6
different plate per the KEP site:

KEP 225mm PORSCHE 915 TRANSAXLE PRESSURE PLATES

Porsche 225mm 911 clutch package. Primarily sold as a clutch kit to Kit Car builders complete with installed bearing, ring gear, fasteners and all new genuine German parts. Fits '72 or newer 915 Porsche transaxle. The 360 ft. lb. of torque capacity handles most stock 350 Chevrolet V8 engines.

You should probably have got this:
KEP 215mm PORSCHE PRESSURE PLATES

Porsche 215mm pressure plate for 914's and '65-69 Porsche 911 features stronger diaphragm and a full circle torque link system to prevent failure due to excessive torque.

Stock - (for comparison). Holds 180 ft. lbs. of torque.
Stage I - 215mm Pressure Plate. Holds 230 ft. lbs. of torque.
Stage II - 215mm pressure Plate. Holds 270 ft. lbs. of torque.
41ghost
make sure you use a clutch allignment tool and some times you have to turn the tranny a little when you slide it in.
Dr Evil
Are the splines the same? I am not sure off hand if the 915 and 911/901 trannies have the same splines. 225 is a fine size as far as that dimention.
PRS914-6
Andy, check your personal e-mail.....If you did not use a centering tool, it will never slide in. The parts you have are not 915, only the box is......

915 input shaft is significantly larger and a 901 shaft would drop right through a 915 disk.

The parts are correct, the alignment is off.......
John
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 24 2007, 08:47 PM) *

Are the splines the same? I am not sure off hand if the 915 and 911/901 trannies have the same splines. 225 is a fine size as far as that dimention.

The 915 alignment tool is larger in diameter than the 901 tool, so I don't think that is it. It almost sounds like the input shaft isn't wanting to slide into the pilot bearing.......
SirAndy
QUOTE(John @ Jul 24 2007, 08:26 PM) *

Did you use a centering tool for the disc when you tightened up the pressure plate? (I sure hope so)

Tried putting trans in gear and turning the output flanges to turn the input shaft?

yes and yes. used the tool, turned BOTH shafts about 50 times, used a flashlight to make sure the input shaft was actually turning ...

got it in, took only another 30 minutes of brute force. blink.gif

i sure hope this is going to work ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy
Cap'n Krusty
Yet ANOTHER satisfied KEP customer ...... I've had poor experiences with every one of the few I've tried to use ................... The Cap'n
Dr. Roger
Don't make me come a'runnin' up to Napa.... biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Jul 24 2007, 10:13 PM) *

Don't make me come a'runnin' up to Napa.... biggrin.gif

i could use a ride ... sad.gif

clutchy not worky ... i'm stranded here at the shop. mark is not around.

i guess i'm gonna sleep here tonight ...
dry.gif Andy
Dr. Roger
Wish I could but all of my cars are down as of this evening.... If my dirt bike had lights..... =)
SirAndy
alright, she's running again ...

piratenanner.gif Andy
Dr Evil
So how'd ya get her up and running?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 25 2007, 05:23 PM) *

So how'd ya get her up and running?

had to take it all apart again ... blink.gif

drove home just fine an hour ago.

parked the car, went back 10 minutes later to pick up something, now the damm alternator light won't go out. checked all fuses, nada. now what ???
headbang.gif Andy
SirAndy
old clutch ... ohmy.gif

can you see the burn-marks? blink.gif

Click to view attachment

fuzzy closeup: icon8.gif

Click to view attachment

burned the pressure plate as well: barf.gif

Click to view attachment

what's all that dust falling out of there? sheeplove.gif

Click to view attachment

headbang.gif Andy
SirAndy
new clutch, pressureplate (thanks paul! pray.gif ) and custom ringgear:

Click to view attachment

custom tool i made to remove/install the ball socket for the clutch lever pivot. 14mm socket that needs to be ground down to fit.

Click to view attachment

and installed smilie_pokal.gif :

Click to view attachment

driving.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.