Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Well that'll scare the shit out of you!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brando
So I had it all planned out to swap engine and trans mounts tomorrow morning. Looks like I get to have it towed! On the way home from the grocery store... Good thing I was on a non-major street!

I heard a *kathunk-scraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaape* as sparks are flyin behind me. Got it next to the curb, looks like I get to call a tow truck tomorrow to get it either home or to the shop. Then damage control... Possibly... Bent exhaust, shift rod, might need a new bursch but we'll see!

Anyone want to lend a hand? This is gonna suck with only one set of tools...
GWN7
Why does this sound familiar? smile.gif
Dr. Roger
forgot the big steel washers that keep the motor mount bolts from pulling through the rubber doughnuts?

I only ask because I made THAT mistake once. =-P
Twystd1
Brando,

I'm screwed. I can't get free till Saturday at best. And thats a maybe.

I don't know what to tell ya bro.....

Question. if'n ya didn't break anything bad. Can'y ya just toss in new mounts without pulling the engine?

And how did that suspension adjustment I did on your car work out?
(A/X tweak in Riverslime?)

Cheers,

Clayton
SirAndy
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
rhodyguy
wtf? i thought you replaced the f &r mounts. again, you dodged a bullet. you're only going to get so many chances.

k
Brando
Kevin, only replace the rear mounts. Front mounts were going to get done today when work was over and I had a lift available.

Looks like I get to do it anyway... Ouch.

Clayton, appreciate the help any way you can mang. I'll keep ya posted.

Oh, I guess I just had a joe buckle experience...
DrifterJay
Oh, I guess I just had a joe buckle experience...

I remember that day... smile.gif
JB 914
Heh,

The Joe Buckle Experience

are you experienced?

dlo914
Brando, still need a helping hand?
Brando
Thanks everyone! I got it all put back together and running in about 30 minutes this afternoon. The most damage was a few small cracks in the bottom of my muffler (bursch) where the collector comes together, but other than that, it's all good!

Thanks everyone... And I will show pics of the broken mounts when I get home in a few.
BMXerror
Sorry Brando. I would've loved to come down and help today, but it's 45 miles to Riverside and my gas gauge (reading under half a tank) is SOOOO accurate. lol3.gif I also have 3 bucks in my wallet AND bank account to get me through the week, so no gas money. Sorry bro. Glad you got here running again. thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Mark D.
Brando
Appreciate the intent Mark biggrin.gif

So, new predicament.

Got the car home. Let it cool for an hour or so, decided to head out for errands.

Now, cranked the car over, went 'whir whir whir whir THUNK'. Then no more. Also tried to move the car in gear (4th). Was able to go a few feet back, then forward and same thing... stopped completely, felt like I was hitting a wall.

I'm thinking... Re-check the mating of the engine and trans - tighten the nuts and bolts. Then pull the starter and see if it's jammed in the ring gear. Turn the engine over a few times maybe and see if there's any flywheel damage. I don't see how there could be as the car started up and ran fine without issue on the way home from the shop.

Anyhow, all suggestions appreciated. Been brainstorming with Bruce for the last few and have a few ideas. Bendex?
Brando
On a side note... maybe this will allow me to justify buying a nippondenso high-torque starter.

Is this the kind I'm looking for?

PORSCHE 911 MINI STARTER ALSO 912 / 914 / 930 IMI
JB 914
Brando,

Since you are now an official member of " the Joe Buckle Experience" you can come by and pickup that can of Budweiser.

Dr. Roger
QUOTE(Brando @ Jul 25 2007, 11:31 PM) *

On a side note... maybe this will allow me to justify buying a nippondenso high-torque starter.

Is this the kind I'm looking for?

PORSCHE 911 MINI STARTER ALSO 912 / 914 / 930 IMI

That's the one I am using. Works great on a V8. =P
Brando
icon_bump.gif

any thoughts on the new predicament?
Grimstead
Sorry I have no idea on your new problem but I can tell you I have the same starter and I really like it. I don't drive the car as much as I want to so the battery is always close to giving up but this new starter makes the most of the juice I have left and starts her up (old one would just kill it off).
Brando
New starter goes in shortly... I made the mistake of removing the old one between 1:30 and 3:00 PM. That was NOT fun. Figured when the temps are lower would be better...
Brando
The enverending saga continues...

Installed new starter, makes a bit of a wierd noise compared to the old one but it cranks bitchin!

Car would not turn over well. Heavy gas smell and fuel pouring out of the exhaust tells me... Ugh, sticking injector or a stuck one. Naturally I think to check #3 injector and, wow. Are they supposed to flop around like that? #4 is secure why is #3 all wobbly? Then when it touched a bit of metal it sparked! That can't be good.

Picked up two good used ones from SLITS this morning, ran some cleaner through them and I'm getting ready to install the pair on the #3/#4 side. I also picked up a large sun shade/umbrella to use too. Figured I'd enjoy working in the shade a bit more. Lets see if I can get this thing driving again by this afternoon. I got birthday gifts to buy!
Aaron Cox
give it hell little buddy!
ConeDodger
Check your ground. If you dropped the engine you may have fubared that ground at the aft end of the transmission....
Brando
All done n buttoned up. Two 'good used' injectors installed and I'm up and running again. Ground strap on the trans is what kept it from completely rubbing asphalt. It lives again!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.