Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A little bling: Spunone gauge rings and LeCarra wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BigDBass
After some major service done by Brad Mayuer and fixing my brake light switch, I thought it was time to do something more fun and finally took the time to install a LeCarra steering wheel ebay purchase that's been sitting on the shelf next to the silver gauge rings I got from Spunone awhile back. (You can also see my ashtray -> cupholder a la Garold)

Click to view attachment

The feel of this wheel is way more comfortable than the stock wheel. The greater amount of padding over stock gives it better grip and cushion. (The stock wheel always felt like it had sharp edges to me. The smaller diameter lets me get in and out without rubbing my legs against it, and I'm not that big a guy at 5'11 1/2" and 200 pounds. (Damn that missing half an inch and that extra 1 pound. Hmm, and those other missing 2 inches come to think of it. happy11.gif ))

I have two questions about the steering wheel install. First, in order to get the wheel all the way onto the shaft, I had to pop off a retaining clip that seemed to keep the stock wheel from going too far on the shaft. I then ended up using that clip as a shim between the big nut and the washer. Is this okay or am I asking for something to break?

Also, I've "disrupted service" of my turn signal cancellation. I figure it's the orientation of the plastic part attached to the bottom of the hub adapter. Can someone tell me what the orientation of that piece should be to hit the turn signal cancel switch?

Thanks!
retrofit
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Jul 24 2007, 11:04 PM) *

After some major service done by Brad Mayuer and fixing my brake light switch, I thought it was time to do something more fun and finally took the time to install a LeCarra steering wheel ebay purchase that's been sitting on the shelf next to the silver gauge rings I got from Spunone awhile back. (You can also see my ashtray -> cupholder a la Garold)
What's this about a cupholder? I'm forever chained to a water bottle and an ashtry turned into a cup/water bottle holder would be my ideal 914 modification! Tell me more
Allen
Click to view attachment

The feel of this wheel is way more comfortable than the stock wheel. The greater amount of padding over stock gives it better grip and cushion. (The stock wheel always felt like it had sharp edges to me. The smaller diameter lets me get in and out without rubbing my legs against it, and I'm not that big a guy at 5'11 1/2" and 200 pounds. (Damn that missing half an inch and that extra 1 pound. Hmm, and those other missing 2 inches come to think of it. happy11.gif ))

I have two questions about the steering wheel install. First, in order to get the wheel all the way onto the shaft, I had to pop off a retaining clip that seemed to keep the stock wheel from going too far on the shaft. I then ended up using that clip as a shim between the big nut and the washer. Is this okay or am I asking for something to break?

Also, I've "disrupted service" of my turn signal cancellation. I figure it's the orientation of the plastic part attached to the bottom of the hub adapter. Can someone tell me what the orientation of that piece should be to hit the turn signal cancel switch?

Thanks!

BigDBass
What's this about a cupholder? I'm forever chained to a water bottle and an ashtry turned into a cup/water bottle holder would be my ideal 914 modification! Tell me more
Allen

Take a look here: Link.
geniusanthony
Looks great Dan
BigDBass
Hmm, nobody knows about the alignment of the hub for turn signal cancellation? Or the importance of that retaining clip thingy? sad.gif
Coy
If yours is like mine this should illustrate how to line up the hub to the indicater ring. It took me a couple tries to make it work like it was supposed to. I guess I'm kinda slow... confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
BigDBass
Thanks. (Naturally, mine is in the "Won't cancel at all" position!)
GaroldShaffer
Don't feel alone, mine doesn't cancel either. You get use to it. Its habit now, once I make a turn I flick the signal swicth to off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.