Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bump steer even with the kit?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
i have the bump steer kit (rack spacers) installed and when my car used to be lowered a lot, it worked great.

but now that my car sits high, i'm getting a lot of bump steer again.

does it work both ways? meaning, you get bump steer when you are too low and don't have the spacers and you get bump steer when you're high and do have the spacers?
would kinda make sense ...

anybody know?
idea.gif Andy
SGB
Not from experience but geometry tells me that it would be the very same since the arms are not nominally parallel to the ground anymore.

So: yes.
Demick
The spacers don't 'fix bumpsteer'. They correct the suspension geometry that you changed when you lowered the car. So when you raise the car, you have changed the suspension geometry again - and the spacers should be removed to correct the geometry again (back to original).

Bottom line is - you are correct.
Gustl
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 25 2007, 09:09 PM) *
... i'm getting a lot of bump steer again.

just for my interest ... what is bump steer confused24.gif
Rand
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jul 25 2007, 02:56 PM) *

just for my interest ... what is bump steer confused24.gif

You hit a bump, it steers? (Steering wheel moves because of bump, not from your own input - not good.)

Google "bump steer" for more info.
Gustl
QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 25 2007, 10:59 PM) *
You hit a bump, it steers? (Steering wheel moves because of bump, not from your own input - not good.)

Google "bump steer" for more info.

I see - many thanks pray.gif
PRS914-6
Andy, the bottom line is that the arms should be parallel with the A-arms not the ground. If the two run parallel, the bump-steer will be minimal.
SirAndy
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jul 25 2007, 02:48 PM) *

Andy, the bottom line is that the arms should be parallel with the A-arms not the ground. If the two run parallel, the bump-steer will be minimal.

yeah, a-arms are parallel to the ground, but the tie rods are not parallel to the a-arms ...

oh well, just one more thing to do ...
rolleyes.gif Andy
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Demick @ Jul 25 2007, 03:43 PM) *

The spacers don't 'fix bumpsteer'. They correct the suspension geometry that you changed when you lowered the car. So when you raise the car, you have changed the suspension geometry again - and the spacers should be removed to correct the geometry again (back to original).

Bottom line is - you are correct.

Yeppir!

Change the geometry? Adjust for it.

If you've raised the suspension beyond factory settings, you may have to change the suspension mounts (maybe). Haven't heard of this anomoly before!
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.