Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 tach issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kyracedog
What has to be done to the stock 914/4 tach to allow using the HEI distributor signal to accurately show engine revs? I have heard adding a resistor, but not clear? Tried a cheap aftermarket tach, worked one day and died. 2nd one never worked. Is there something from the HEI that is unique?
nick mironov
See the following 2 options for converting a 74-75 tachometer. (Earlier tachometers are different - see pdf attachment). Nothing special required with an HEI distributor. I converted two tachometers - one using the resistor method and the other using the capacitor method. Both methods worked. The problem was that both tachometers were crap to begin with - they had no damping and would grossly over-react causing the needle to swing back/forth until it settled down.

I finally gave up and got a tachometer from bigmarkdesign. Very nice. $150.
BIGKAT_83
The damping of the 914 VDO tach is not a electrical adjustment. Its set on the back of the meter movement. A small pin is set in silicon grease and dries out over time and causes the swing. Its a pretty easy fix after you have done a couple of them.

Bob
nick mironov
What is the procedure for the fix?

Nick
turbo914v8
I have RH converted tach you can have for 40 + shipping if your interested please PM me. It cost me 100 + at the time.
drive-ability
QUOTE(turbo914v8 @ Jul 26 2007, 08:47 PM) *

I have RH converted tach you can have for 40 + shipping if your interested please PM me. It cost me 100 + at the time.

Paul PM sent biggrin.gif
BRAVE_HELIOS
QUOTE(nick mironov @ Jul 25 2007, 09:15 PM) *

See the following 2 options for converting a 74-75 tachometer. (Earlier tachometers are different - see pdf attachment). Nothing special required with an HEI distributor. I converted two tachometers - one using the resistor method and the other using the capacitor method. Both methods worked. The problem was that both tachometers were crap to begin with - they had no damping and would grossly over-react causing the needle to swing back/forth until it settled down.

I finally gave up and got a tachometer from bigmarkdesign. Very nice. $150.

Hope y'all can help! I have a tach dated 9/74… the one with the calibration pot. I want to convert it for v8 use. I am looking in the same area as in your photo. My tach already has 3 resistors mounted on the board! As far as I know this tach came out of a 4 cylinder car. What gives! It does have a 0.22 capacitor in place. Somewhere around this forum, I also saw someone who replaced the 0.22 uf cap with a 0.10 uf cap with the same results. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

joefri187
This looks similar to the picture above, but see if this helps...... It worked perfect on mine....
rick 918-S
QUOTE(nick mironov @ Jul 25 2007, 10:15 PM) *

bigmarkdesign. Very nice. $150.

agree.gif Send it to Mark. It's way too easy that way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.