Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: @#!@#$!$#@$ Windshield trim
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Ok car is painted, new windshield installed, but the F'n trim wont stay down headbang.gif

New clips were installed, but the trim keeps coming up in the lower corners. I wish I would have went with my gut and used the black rubber seal, but NOOOOOooo I 2nd guess myself and went with the old chrome trim slap.gif

So now I'm screwed, right? If I want to go to the rubber trim I have to pull the windshield to do it. $#@!@#$!%$%#^&%# Anyone know of a good windshield shop in Northwest Indiana?
chair.gif
McMark
I bet the lower section won't stay down because the window was installed too low and the clips bump into the glass. If the clips can't open up enough to accept the trim, then it will never actually clip into place. There is a very close margin for installing the glass and some replacement windshields are better than others. Andy installed his rubber trim after the glass and used urethane to glue it in. So far so good.
SGB
I just try not to look at mine, and never push it back down (thats just starts the "cycle of frustration").
IronHillRestorations
One thing I do is make sure all the trim is nice and smooth, and fits the glass perfectly, before you install the glass. I always use new clips too, sometimes old clips don't grip the glass very well. Bummer Garold, messing with the windshield is always tricky.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
We encountered this long ago. There could be two problems. First, some aftermarket windshields are miscast by design and those 'shields stick up too far in the corners. The solution here is to replace the windshield with an approved brand. Also if the installers did not us 1/4 inch butyl tape then the windshield will stick up too high and the windshield chrome will not stay down.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 25 2007, 08:28 PM) *

Andy installed his rubber trim after the glass and used urethane to glue it in. So far so good.

I might try what Andy did, what do I got to loose. Still pisses me off. mad.gif
boxstr
Garold, Sorry to read about this after the fact. You can install the rubber trim after the windshield has been installed. The only negative is you may see some of the body under the glass around the perimeter.
If you look at the new cars that use the rubber trim they have a black band on the inside of the windshield. This hides alot of stuff that you don't want to see.
CCLINGLASSISUS
neo914-6
take some measurements of the depth of the clips and compare to the depth of the trim frame lip. That should tell you if the glass and seal to body stack tolerance is too great. If it's the butyl, you can remove and reinstall the glass with the right thickness seal.

did the rear view mirror work out ok?
dinomium
just DONT try to force the trim any more, or you will get to buy a whole new windscreen!
dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.