Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Which Air filter do you prefer for my 2005 Pathfinder?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
abc123
QUOTE(abc123 @ Jul 26 2007, 03:59 PM) *

Which type of air filter do you guys prefer for my moms brand new 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. A k&n or Fram??

QUOTE(jgara962 @ Jul 26 2007, 04:04 PM) *

QUOTE(abc123 @ Jul 26 2007, 05:01 PM) *

BTW, you have no idea what you are talking about. You can only dream to live our lives when you grow up - if that ever happens.

No I do not want to live your lives. I don't need to go on eHarmony.com to get a girl.

I figured you weren't into girls.

abc123
I need 15 more hp its worth it with an intake so which one do you guys prefer?
914nerd
Edited so as to prevent the propagation of the flame war raging in the "other" thread
abc123
You do realize that if you start just spamming the board with topics, you will get banned
If, by chance, you are looking for actual information, then you got off to a really crappy start in your other thread
Either way, I would recommend going back to your pathetic little life and leaving the 914World alone

THIS ONE ISN'T A JOKE I'M SERIOUS????????????????
geniusanthony
I was really hoping that if we ignored "THE ONE WHOM WE MAY NOT SPEAK OF" long enough he would go away.

2nd point, I really want to turbo my 914, do you think I should?
Oh yeah, I wanna use naws too, like a 500 hp shot.
Dr. Roger
K&N BABY!!!

edited: =)
Cap'n Krusty
That's like asking whether you'd prefer losing a leg or having one eye poked out. Both filters are crap, and those zoomie intake tube setups are not far behind. ALL are proof that you can sell anybody anything if you spend enough money trying to persuade them. If you really believe you're gonna get 15HP from a piece of pipe, stop to ask yourself why they don't make them that way from the factory. The Cap'n
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 26 2007, 08:35 PM) *

That's like asking whether you'd prefer losing a leg or having one eye poked out. Both filters are crap, and those zoomie intake tube setups are not far behind. ALL are proof that you can sell anybody anything if you spend enough money trying to persuade them. If you really believe you're gonna get 15HP from a piece of pipe, stop to ask yourself why they don't make them that way from the factory. The Cap'n

Cap'n- I'm not going to argue HP w/ you, agree.gif , but I am willing to argue MPG. I swapped out my stock Civic intake system for a cold air w/ a K&N & my mileage went way up. Most stock airboxes today are very restictive, because they're designed to keep the car quiet. That's quiet over efficient- not very logical form a performance point of view, but very logical to marketing & sell-ability. People Most people biggrin.gif , like quiet cars.

PS- hijacked.gif happy11.gif
DrifterJay
what Johny said... lol
914nerd
I simply was commenting on the fact that his original comment (quoted) included part of the other thread
Sometimes you just have to stir the shit a little

As for the actual question, I would be inlined to agree with Johny that intake restriction is a common problem given the designs of many modern cars
It certainly can't hurt to take away this restriction to ome degree (although you have to be careful that you still retain the filtration so as to avoid getting a bunch of crap pulled into the engine)

Btw, Tony, those aren't bad looking ashes in your avatar
biggrin.gif
blitZ
I have a Pathfinder also, but post my related questions here:

http://www.nissanforums.com/pathfinder/
D1A3
QUOTE(blitZ @ Jul 26 2007, 05:11 PM) *

You have a Pathfinder too? So, we have the same vehicles in our driveways... next thing you will tell me you have a Lexus GS430 too...

As for my Pathfinder, years ago I replaced the filter witha K&N that fits the stock box. I like it and think it gives the truck a bit more pep...
blitZ
QUOTE(D1A3 @ Jul 27 2007, 12:04 AM) *

QUOTE(blitZ @ Jul 26 2007, 05:11 PM) *

You have a Pathfinder too? So, we have the same vehicles in our driveways... next thing you will tell me you have a Lexus GS430 too...

As for my Pathfinder, years ago I replaced the filter witha K&N that fits the stock box. I like it and think it gives the truck a bit more pep...

No, the wife's broom is an Odyssey. I replaced my intake and exhaust with high flow components. It really helped my gas mileage, in city I get 17-18, plus a little extra grunt in the pedal.

My Pathfinder
JmuRiz
Personally I don't believe anything like an air filter can get you more than 1HP. Remember more air getting through typically means more dirt is also getting through. Only when you modify the air tract do real results come.
If it was a full sealed new air-box setup, maybe it'd work...perhaps one that replaces the accordian intake hose with a smooth one and a velocity stack integrated. The guys on the audi 12v forum have done tests and find the Akimoto Funnel Ram is a good one (integrated VS etc).

Just some thoughts, personally I'd stick with stock.
sww914
I put a K&N in all of my cars. Why? It's not so I can get an extra 90 HP for $50.00. It's because paper filters are $12.00-$20.00, for the price of 3 I can get a K&N and never have to buy another filter. I haven't had any problems with them, ever.
blitZ
I used an Apexi filter as it actually does a good job of filtering, much better than K&N. It costs a bit more, but worth it if you are considering an alternative intake setup.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(sww914 @ Jul 27 2007, 10:27 AM) *

I put a K&N in all of my cars. Why? It's not so I can get an extra 90 HP for $50.00. It's because paper filters are $12.00-$20.00, for the price of 3 I can get a K&N and never have to buy another filter. I haven't had any problems with them, ever.

In yet another edition of my anti-K&N marketing rant, I beg to differ with you. There's a TON of information available describing actual scientific tests, performed on real test equipment, done with controls, that show little or no HP improvement vs. stock paper filters. The number of square inches of filter media is FAR fewer in a K&N, the pores are larger, and they depend on proper, frequent cleaning and oiling to maintain even the most remote resemblance to the effectiveness of stock filtration. Think of it. Less filter area, more air flow. How do they achieve that? BIGGER PORES in the material! TANSTAAFL. YOU may think you have more power, but it's more likely to be the combination of a lighter wallet, justification for the expenditure, and an increased noise level. Hey, if it's louder, it has to be faster/more powerful, right?

I once counted the pleats in a stock 2 litre paper air filter, and extrapolated the square inches. Did the same for the K&N. I forget the exact numbers, but the paper filter had something over TWICE the filter area. If I had both here again, I'd refigure the numbers and write it up. Maybe someone would like to help out, here, and figure it out for a K&N. I'll do the stock unit and we can get a figure. Volunteers?

Last, but certainly not least, while you're painstakingly (and properly) cleaning and servicing your K&N, I've dropped in a new OE filter and have about a half hour to relax and enjoy a couple of adult beverages with my friends. The Cap'n
jasons
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 27 2007, 11:03 AM) *

TANSTAAFL.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch," That was a new one for me, I had to use the google to figger it out....

I always looked at it like this, could K&N's engineering budget and resources even be in the same ballpark as BMW, Porsche, Honda, etc... I doubt it.

I take my wifes 4runner to an independent pro for service. He scolded me for using a Fram air filter and told me to only use Toyotas products.
Cap'n Krusty
"I always looked at it like this, could K&N's engineering budget and resources even be in the same ballpark as BMW, Porsche, Honda, etc... I doubt it. "

I've often wondered about the ratio between K&Ns advertising and R&D budgets.

The Cap'n
sww914
Cap'n, I said that it's NOT for HP that I buy them, it's just money savings. I was trying to sound facetious when I said 90 HP for $50.00.
I like having the ability to clean the filter. When I used to live up a 2 mile long dirt road I cleaned them every 3,000 miles when I changed the oil. They needed it. I didn't want to spend an extra 10 or 20 bucks at every oil change for a new paper filter. I don't know what the scientific studies say about the HP, but my wallet says $45.00 once is cheaper that $14.00 30 times, (what it would have been for the 90,000 miles on my WRX at this point).
Cheers, Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.