Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Proper EARLY rain tray- Success? NO!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2
Pat Garvey
I've been searching for 4 years now for an early rain tray. I have my original, but it is trash because it split at one of the mountings. And, there is NO glue that will put it back together. Porsche used some sort of imperious plastic for these things!

I just counted them up (the responses indicating that the HAVE ONE & IT'S PERFECT) 87! Guess how many of the 87 had the proper part - 3! Guess how many had a useable part? ZERO!

Isn't there someone out there with a flat bottomed rain tray that they want to make some money on?

Yeah, I know, this doesn't belong on this forum. I'm desperate & about to give up!

Please ..... help me! You can flame away after I find one.....

Never mind - doesn't belong on this forum. Sorry. Desperate!
Pat
jonferns
crap....now I see, its NLA....ahh...

search ebay DAILY....things pop up....
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jul 26 2007, 09:59 PM) *

crap....now I see, its NLA....ahh...

search ebay DAILY....things pop up....

Been doing that for a couple of years & no luck - not even a bad one!
GaroldShaffer
I have one, but it is in the same condition as yours. Have you called Rich a HPH? or try Brad Mayuer at 309-694-1797. Also look up 20th street auto in Phoenix AZ they have a lot of 914 parts.
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 26 2007, 11:31 PM) *

I'm desperate & about to give up!

Pat

It wouldn't be a problem if you'd just buy that 914-6 you've been looking for... <grin>

BTW, I have a perfect "early" rain tray. Sorry to get your hopes up though, it's going onto MY 914-4 when the time comes.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jul 27 2007, 02:49 PM) *

BTW, I have a perfect "early" rain tray. Sorry to get your hopes up though, it's going onto MY 914-4 when the time comes.

Now that's just mean! rolleyes.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jul 27 2007, 12:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 26 2007, 11:31 PM) *

I'm desperate & about to give up!

Pat

It wouldn't be a problem if you'd just buy that 914-6 you've been looking for... <grin>

OK, let's look at this rationally. You're a "six" guy. Yeah, you have this nice 4 banger, but you'll always give priority to the six (like me - my '73 T gets no attention).

So....by the time you get around to the 4, if you ever do, that tray will have rotted away into dust. Why not release it to someone who will do something positive with it? I promise - I'll give credit. Please, please, please! If that isn't begging.....
Pat
orthobiz
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Paul
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jul 27 2007, 10:43 PM) *

Paul

Are we talking about a photo of the piece, or Pat on his knees begging for one? <grin>
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jul 29 2007, 12:12 AM) *

Paul

Are we talking about a photo of the piece, or Pat on his knees begging for one? <grin>

Damn! No mercy biggrin.gif ! How about both photos?

av-943.gif
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 27 2007, 07:17 PM) *

Pat's a big boy. He can take it (and give it).

Besides, I need to get all my licks in before our first competitive meeting, where he's sure to bury me... <grin>
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 28 2007, 10:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jul 29 2007, 12:12 AM) *

Paul

Damn! No mercy biggrin.gif ! How about both photos?

av-943.gif

Well, for now, here's a pic of the correct tray. Doesn't show the cracked mounting hole on the drivers side.

This is close as I'll get to the other photo - pray.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jul 29 2007, 05:18 AM) *

Besides, I need to get all my licks in before our first competitive meeting, where he's sure to bury me... <grin>

I CAN take it - if you're going to dish it out......

I think the burying will be on the other side. Remember, I've had a repaint (even though it was almost 30 years ago), and my underside is a disaster area. Seems like every boot underneath has gone south in the last couple of years. Every week I find another that'll have to replaced & some of them are horrible to work with. Bring your shovel - I can take it!

BTW, there are a number of others who, should they decide to attend, can easilly bury both of us. I'm a little nervous about about the "quiet ones"!

Pat
unsure.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 29 2007, 12:19 PM) *

BTW, there are a number of others who, should they decide to attend, can easilly bury both of us. I'm a little nervous about about the "quiet ones"!

Pat
unsure.gif

agree.gif & think it's time for stealth mode. Not good for the forum, but good for warfare shades.gif
Jasfsmith

I think the burying will be on the other side. Remember, I've had a repaint (even though it was almost 30 years ago), and my underside is a disaster area. Seems like every boot underneath has gone south in the last couple of years. Every week I find another that'll have to replaced & some of them are horrible to work with. Bring your shovel - I can take it!

Pat
unsure.gif

A true CW. Always have the excuse on hand for ones failings. <grin> Reminds me of my golfing days. When someone asked what my handicap was, I would respond "my wife".

Without question, they are many others that can (and will) put us in our place. It's just your more fun to pick on.... <grin>
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jul 30 2007, 08:35 AM) *

Pat
unsure.gif

A true CW. Always have the excuse on hand for ones failings. <grin> Reminds me of my golfing days. When someone asked what my handicap was, I would respond "my wife".

Without question, they are many others that can (and will) put us in our place. It's just your more fun to pick on.... <grin>

Wel now, just hold on a minute! I'm a sensitive guy - I have feelings! You can't just pick on me "willy nilly". I don't pick on you, do I (.....YET!)

My 914 is so full of flaws that I'll be embarrassed to show it. It's been almost 15 years since the last showing (burned out). It's full of cobwebs underneath, has an oil leak I can't find & it has those bolts in the bottom of the front trunk from an ancient sway bar! Hasn't run in 2 years, needs new tires, brakes need redoing.

See 'm sayin? The car's a mess. I'm not joking here!

Anyone with a detailed Yugo can beat me!

But, I'll be there.
Pat smilie_pokal.gif
orthobiz
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 29 2007, 12:10 PM) *

Well, for now, here's a pic of the correct tray. Doesn't show the cracked mounting hole on the drivers side.

This is close as I'll get to the other photo - pray.gif

We need a NEW emoticon: This Thread is Worthless WITH Pictures!!!!!

Paul
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 30 2007, 09:35 PM) *

Wel now, just hold on a minute! I'm a sensitive guy - I have feelings! You can't just pick on me "willy nilly". I don't pick on you, do I (.....YET!)

My 914 is so full of flaws that I'll be embarrassed to show it. It's been almost 15 years since the last showing (burned out). It's full of cobwebs underneath, has an oil leak I can't find & it has those bolts in the bottom of the front trunk from an ancient sway bar! Hasn't run in 2 years, needs new tires, brakes need redoing.

But, I'll be there.
Pat smilie_pokal.gif

Damn. You DO have the CW excuses down cold. PLEASE STOP! av-943.gif

(Note: this is the first time I've used an "icon". My standard "<grin>" just wasn't enough. <grin>)
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jul 31 2007, 03:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 30 2007, 09:35 PM) *

But, I'll be there.
Pat smilie_pokal.gif

Damn. You DO have the CW excuses down cold. PLEASE STOP! av-943.gif

(Note: this is the first time I've used an "icon". My standard "<grin>" just wasn't enough. <grin>)

Excuses? I "don need no stinkin" excuses! It's the truth - my car is a train wreck!

Oh, by the way - think I've finally found the Holy Grail! Could be more perfect, but the mount holes ARE perfect. I can fix the rest, though I don't have it in my hands yet.

What are you talking about "CW excuses"? Just tring to be honest here.

Besides, if we wre talking about racing here, do you think I'd give up what I consider to be an advantage? Course not, and you know it. And so does the Doctor!
Pat
Johny Blackstain
I was born & raised in Dixie & I know whitewash when I see it biggrin.gif !
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 31 2007, 08:39 PM) *

I was born & raised in Dixie & I know whitewash when I see it biggrin.gif !

Oh Al,

I'm so sorry you feel that way!

Or, on the other hand - maybe I should run for public office?

No, I still have me integrity & my filthy 914. All I need.
Pat Garvey
It's done!

Found a really nice one - no cracks or splits. Hardly even needs a cleanup.

Four year search is over! Never would have found it if it weren't for 914World.

The guy is restoring a six and I promised I'd put the word out that he needs a working period-correct radio & some tool pieces.

If anyone has any info regarding these, let me know & I'll give you his e-mail address. He's one the "world" as "freezing914".

Phewww!

Pat
Johny Blackstain
Noooooooooooooooooo! Darth Garveys' Achilles heel has been repaired! Noooooooooooooooooo! biggrin.gif
jonferns
nice job man....finally! thumb3d.gif -JON biggrin.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Aug 3 2007, 06:25 PM) *

Noooooooooooooooooo! Darth Garveys' Achilles heel has been repaired! Noooooooooooooooooo! biggrin.gif

I have more "heels" than a foot fetish convention, but this one was the worst. The majors left are proper, period-correct and sized tires, and getting Eric to redo my calipers.

The tires will have to come from Coker, I'll need 5, and they'll be way overpriced.

The brakes are 35 years old, and although they've never given a hint of failure, the rears are nearly impossible to pad-adjust. They also need to have a proper finish put back on them. These will also be not cheap, but worth every penny.

Also thinking about replacing the rotors, though they have less than 10k on them. Don't like the stupid paintwork I put on them when they were new (don't evean ask how many years ago!).

Oh, yeah - I have "heels". Some of you will have to find them in Charlotte next year. If you do, it's forbidden to snitch to the judges. Remember, I have a lot of "contacts" in South Philly. I could get Vinny or Joey to bodyguard my car.
Pat
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 4 2007, 08:32 PM) *

The tires will have to come from Coker, I'll need 5, and they'll be way overpriced.

agree.gif Michelin 165/80 HR15... $191.00 each + shipping @ Coker mad.gif . Kind of makes me happy to take a hit for my tire size.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Aug 4 2007, 06:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 4 2007, 08:32 PM) *

agree.gif Michelin 165/80 HR15... $191.00 each + shipping @ Coker mad.gif . Kind of makes me happy to take a hit for my tire size.

Yeah, I'm having serious doubts about the sense of this myself.

I'm not really happy about spending $1100 bucks for 35 year old tire technology (remeber, they have to have tubes too. Probably another $2-300 bucks for mounting & balancing (remember, they have tubes in them - should be RAL fun trying to find someone competent, with equipment that won't touch my wheels!).

I could very easily decided to take the tire hit myself. And, I've always hated any Michelin tires I had & prayed for them to wear out.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 4 2007, 09:55 PM) *

remember, they have tubes in them

huh.gif ? My old Dunlops were tubeless. Knikki has never run tires w/ tubes. How do you put a tubed tire on a Mahle or a Fuchs? They are tubeless rims. I realize these Michelins are tubed tires, but I'm wondering if you just found a loophole? What did you say before Pat... no Kuhmos allowed? What if they're the only ones available?

Sorry Pat, not trying to pull a hijack here but this might be one of those "team" issues we've been thinking about.
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 4 2007, 09:55 PM) *

Yeah, I'm having serious doubts about the sense of this myself.

I'm not really happy about spending $1100 bucks for 35 year old tire technology (remeber, they have to have tubes too. Probably another $2-300 bucks for mounting & balancing (remember, they have tubes in them - should be RAL fun trying to find someone competent, with equipment that won't touch my wheels!).

I could very easily decided to take the tire hit myself. And, I've always hated any Michelin tires I had & prayed for them to wear out.

And plan on having them re-balanced is a 1,000 miles or so. I now remember when I ran XAS tube type on my 914-4. Getting them balanced was (and remains) a pain.
Pat Garvey
Success can be a fleeting thing - dammit!

The tray turned out to be unacceptable - again!

Decent shape on the front edges, but really badly warped on the rear. Eeben the front edges had been "repaired".

So...back in the hunt!
Pat
orthobiz
You should make the rain tray search into a movie.

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Sep 17 2007, 08:51 PM) *

Paul

Ah, yes. It would be one of those b&w French movies. Full of hearthrobs & dejection. Friends who try to help the depressed star (that would be me), yet, in the end, depress him even further. Until THAT day that the elusive tray becomes available, which is the morning that the star croaks!

Yeah, yeah, fun & games. But.....I'm beginning to think that this part is the most unobtainium part out there for a 914. No, take that back - it IS the most unobtanium part out there for a STREET 914!

I've finally realized that my original, which I thought to be cracked beyond repair, is worth a shot at rejuvination. I'll post a pic of the one & only crack (severe) if anyone thinks there might be a way to repair it.

Yo, any plastic melt gurus out there?

Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 18 2007, 07:37 PM) *

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Sep 17 2007, 08:51 PM) *

Paul

Ah, yes. It would be one of those b&w French movies. Full of hearthrobs & dejection. Friends who try to help the depressed star (that would be me), yet, in the end, depress him even further. Until THAT day that the elusive tray becomes available, which is the morning that the star croaks!

Yeah, yeah, fun & games. But.....I'm beginning to think that this part is the most unobtainium part out there for a 914. No, take that back - it IS the most unobtanium part out there for a STREET 914!

I've finally realized that my original, which I thought to be cracked beyond repair, is worth a shot at rejuvination. I'll post a pic of the one & only crack (severe) if anyone thinks there might be a way to repair it.

Yo, any plastic melt gurus out there?

Pat

Here are the pics. Anyone up to a melt party? Figure I need a pencil point butene type fire breather. No loss if it's ruined......because it's already ruined.

rhodyguy
i've resisted entering the fray over this part. a ?. how do you remove the tray from the lid and retain what i presume are the correct rivets? interesting that there is an embossed grain finish to the tray. similar to the graining found on other plastic/vinyl items. unfortunately, this one has the same train wreck on one of the mounting screw points and a few glitches in the field. i was hoping to fund a trip to maui. sad.gif

k
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 20 2007, 10:22 AM) *

i've resisted entering the fray over this part. a ?. how do you remove the tray from the lid and retain what i presume are the correct rivets? interesting that there is an embossed grain finish to the tray. similar to the graining found on other plastic/vinyl items. unfortunately, this one has the same train wreck on one of the mounting screw points and a few glitches in the field. i was hoping to fund a trip to maui. sad.gif

k

Youll just have to punch out the rivets - they're nothing special & available anywhere, though make sure you use aluminum.

Tried a butane torch on a POS other tray I have, with worse problems. Too much heat! Melts the exterior dramatically, before it even starts heating the interior of the crack.

So......any other lower heat ideas, because I think this can be done with the right heat source.
Pat
1970 Neun vierzehn
Pat,
I'm coming in from way out in left field here, but...........a soldering iron? unsure.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 20 2007, 09:52 PM) *

So......any other lower heat ideas, because I think this can be done with the right heat source.
Pat

Try using a real heat gun instead Pat. Looks like an industrial hair dryer & you'll be happy you did. If you can't rent one fork out & buy a good one. You'll get the results you want & not bubble up anything.
Another solution might be 3M panel adhesive- you can build a house w/ the stuff. $45.00 per tube. It's dark grey to boot.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Sep 21 2007, 03:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 20 2007, 09:52 PM) *

Pat

Try using a real heat gun instead Pat. Looks like an industrial hair dryer & you'll be happy you did. If you can't rent one fork out & buy a good one. You'll get the results you want & not bubble up anything.
Another solution might be 3M panel adhesive- you can build a house w/ the stuff. $45.00 per tube. It's dark grey to boot.

Al,

Where does one get the 3M panel adhesive? And what is its intended purpose.

Pat
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 21 2007, 06:31 PM) *

Pat

Pat,
GOOGLE is your friend. poke.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 21 2007, 10:31 PM) *

Al,

Pat

3M panel adhesive is the epoxy-like glue most manufacturers use today to secure fenders, for example, onto the chasis of a car. There are other uses on the vehicle but the fenders are the 1st that come to mind.

So you wreck your car. You have to remove the L front fender. You manage to unbolt it & it still won't come off. It's been glued & that's why. Usually a heat gun is used to soften up the stuff enough to shove a putty knife into the seam & get the fender off. Any good body shop will carry the stuff & so will their suppliers, for less. Supposed to use it in a special $300.00 gun, but it can be manipulated out by hand as well.

It is the most amazing stuff I've ever used. You can build almost anything w/ this stuff. I suspect, however, that it's not UV protected. Had some on the outside of my truck for 2 years & it dried up & turned grey. Why would it be- no sunlight in a seam? So, get some panel adhesive, glue your damage & then cover the glue w/ a clear-coat that's UV protected. Good luck Pat & practice, practice, practice!

Oh yeah, Google is your friend biggrin.gif
Garland
Found this in the 914 Garage late last night.
Two splits, one at mounting hole. And one at latch point.

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Garland @ Dec 2 2007, 11:07 AM) *

Isn't it sad! A perfect part, except for the splits - have one just like it. Don't understand what happens to this piece - why does it split?
Beamer13
My brother in law used to use the 3M type stuff, it is called duramix. Yes the gun is kinda expensive, and a bag of tips for the gun is like $10. I know this, cuz I had him do something for me and my payment was buying him a new bag of tips. If you know anyone that does body work, I would totally ask them. This stuff is actually stronger than a weld. They tested it with their frame rack vs. welding. The metal that was put together with the epoxy stuff ripped apart on the side of where it was stuck together, the weld eventually gave way..
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Beamer13 @ Dec 2 2007, 06:40 PM) *

My brother in law used to use the 3M type stuff, it is called duramix. Yes the gun is kinda expensive, and a bag of tips for the gun is like $10. I know this, cuz I had him do something for me and my payment was buying him a new bag of tips. If you know anyone that does body work, I would totally ask them. This stuff is actually stronger than a weld. They tested it with their frame rack vs. welding. The metal that was put together with the epoxy stuff ripped apart on the side of where it was stuck together, the weld eventually gave way..

Yeah, but does it show?
Pat
Garland
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 2 2007, 06:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Garland @ Dec 2 2007, 11:07 AM) *

Isn't it sad! A perfect part, except for the splits - have one just like it. Don't understand what happens to this piece - why does it split?

OK, I'm going to the barn.

Garland

It's becuse people remove them.
Never removed Part History:
1970 914
1978 I'm second owner.
1981 11 years of michigan salt bath, ear breaks, park car.
1981 - 2002 21 yr's stored indoors, metal still rusts! Everything else ok.
2002 - date parts car. Building up a 72 cal. tub.

PERFECT!
As long as I don't take it off. smoke.gif
(I did remove the rubber bumper and metal plate)
Garland
My 1970 of 29 years. Factory paint.
jonferns
take it off! take it off! happy11.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Garland @ Dec 2 2007, 10:43 PM) *

It's becuse people remove them.
Never removed Part History:
1970 914
1978 I'm second owner.
1981 11 years of michigan salt bath, ear breaks, park car.
1981 - 2002 21 yr's stored indoors, metal still rusts! Everything else ok.
2002 - date parts car. Building up a 72 cal. tub.

PERFECT!
As long as I don't take it off. smoke.gif
(I did remove the rubber bumper and metal plate)

So.......
Is it available? 016.gif
sixnotfour
Wow popcorn[1].gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.