Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My ongoing /6 vs. big /4 debate - an illustrated approach
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lavanaut
I have an almost stock '74 2.0 that I love. Owned it for just over a year, what a fun car! It drives like it was designed for my little town of Bend, Oregon. Here's why:

Click to view attachment

If you notice, (one of) my favorite brew pubs is in the upper-left corner. My house is down south of the lower right. Between the two? 4 miles of twisty, turny roads including 6 large traffic circles (one of them wouldn't fit into the image). These are big traffic circles, single lane, that work well to keep traffic flowing. When I first got my car with it's stock-size tires, I could easily break the rear of the car loose going around these things (they're big, as evidenced by the cars in the image). This is a really fun drive, one I do all of the time. And this is the basis for the broader subject of this post. I love my stock 2.0, but I crave more power and torque! rocking nana.gif

So, I know the /6 vs. big /4 debate has been done to death. But perhaps applied to this particular situation, we civilized adults might be able to choose a clear winner. See the thing is, the above driving route is absolutely typical of the use my teener sees. Rarely am I driving more than 65 mph, and 85% of the time it's less than 45 mph.

So I ask ~ is it even possible to get my money's worth out of a /6? I'm convinced a big /4 (Raby 2046 or 2270) would be right at home in these conditions. But still, a low-mileage, matching numbers factory /6 is appealing to me for performance, aesthetic, and collectible reasons. You can't change my mind there. smile.gif But I've yet to drive one, and I'm not sure it'd my a good choice for me and my traffic circle time trials...

It's Friday! Cheers all! beerchug.gif

Reid

ps: To those of you that I've spoken to about this topic directly, thanks for your input to date, and for the patience. It's almost final decision time. boldblue.gif
McMark
popcorn[1].gif

There is no clear winner. Power/HP/Torque is available regardless of platform so IMHO, that's out. To me, the decision comes down to installation labor. I'd rather bolt a big four into a car in an afternoon than spend months of downtime building up a six.

AVOID THE JACKSTANDS!! biggrin.gif

Soooo, let the games being. ph34r.gif
Lavanaut
Thanks McMark. To clarify (and it wasn't clear headbang.gif), I'm looking at converting to a big /4 or selling my '74 and buying an original, factory /6 to KEEP original.

Reid
blitZ
OK, so what time to we meet at your pub? huh.gif
mike_the_man
Buy the six! I have no real justification for that, I just think a real six is super cool! Though a Raby 4 is pretty badass as well. That's a pretty rough spot you're in to have to make a decision like that! biggrin.gif
Lavanaut
QUOTE(blitZ @ Jul 27 2007, 12:06 PM) *

OK, so what time to we meet at your pub? huh.gif

It's pretty much happy hour in Georgia anyway right? See you there in 15?

QUOTE(mike_the_man @ Jul 27 2007, 12:16 PM) *

Buy the six! I have no real justification for that, I just think a real six is super cool! Though a Raby 4 is pretty badass as well.

Hey Mike it sounds like our take on the topic is pretty similar! I appreciate your reply, I too digress beyond my personal opions such as "cool" and "badass". laugh.gif
iamchappy
I use to spend summers at ski racing camp at Mt Bachelor, and my daughter is going to school at the academy now. The wife will be there in a few weeks visiting her, and whitewater rafting.

I have a 3.1 turbo charged six and had a 2.0 - 4, I would not enjoy going back to the 4.

Nothing wrong with the 4, I like the 6's better.
pffft
IF by keeping it original you mean leaving it as a 2.0 T motor,
the stock 2.0 six will sound better and be smoother than a big four.
Not much else in it. They weigh more, cost more to live with and
come in older cars that don't have the ongoing updates later 4s got.

BUT, having had a stock four, two big fours and a mild 2.4 six, I really
really prefer the sound and feel of the six.

patrick
PanelBilly
Problems like this are easy to fix. Get one of each! If times are bad and money gets tight; put them both up for sale and then give up the one that sells first. That way you don't need to decide between them.

And not to wish you bad luck, but if you end up putting them both for sale, save my name because I want to be the first shopper in line. That way I get to test drive them back to back.
smj
Here's a different question -- if you get an original factory /6 and wish to preserve it, are you really going to feel comfortable hanging the tail out around rotaries?

I was looking for a conversion /6 because when I looked at good original /6's, I could already feel the burden of preservation looming in my mind. "Don't touch the fenders, do you know how few unmolested originals are left???" "You can't touch that engine, it's a numbers-matching original! You keep that displacement right at 1,991 cc, mister!"

When this modified factory /6 turned up I decided to go for it. My thinking was that I'd feel more comfortable modifying it further, as the original sins weren't mine. But of course, either way I still need a large pile of $$$ to do these things... sad.gif

Anyway, I'd suggest you meditate upon whether or not you'd even be able to stomach risking a preservationist factory /6 on some serious traffic circle time trials.
smj
"Problems like this are easy to fix. Get one of each!"
Heh -- I wish it were that simple! But now the two teeners compete with each other, the 944S, and the house for funding. Imagine if I actually had a family in the mix! unsure.gif
IronHillRestorations
Mark has a good point about down time.

My "patented" statement is "I don't know anyone who's converted to a six, and said I should have just kept it a four".

Funding is a consideration, however from my perspective the price of a good used six (although finding one can take time) vrs a big hot four isn't that much difference, unless you want a 3.6 or a fully rebuilt fresh six. A rebuild on a six IS expensive, so getting a truly good ready to rock used engine is critical.

The six does require a pretty good pile of spendy parts to make it work; oil system, throttle linkage, exhaust, extra oil cooler if needed, clutch, etc.

Finally, you can't approach either upgrade with the hopes of someday selling the car and getting your investment back. You get the investment back with (another of my "patented" statements) "Miles of smiles". Of course if you are young and keep your 914 long enough, prices are gradually increasing.....
scotty
I don't think Bend isn't so little anymore (compared to 30 years ago anyway... Damn, I'm old! blink.gif ) ...although the good news is that you can find good beer there now beer.gif

You have a tough choice...flip a coin! I have to agree with Patrick though, I do like the sound of a six. However, I HATE the crap they put in gas these days that seems to turn to gel in my carbs more quickly than it used to. At least they're easy to clean.

Either way, both should be good for an occasional blast down HWY 31 to Lands That Time Has Forgotten happy11.gif
degreeoff
Six, six, six, six....six, six, six.......six, six......sixes are SICK!

On ride in a 200hp six...now Johny Blackstains car and I HAD to HAVE one! (oops! I mean build one)

Josh
BK911
I've gone back and forth several times between a -6 and -4. As of now, I plan on building up a ~125 hp -4. Nothing too extreme, just a little something to help me pass people when necessary.

I am fortunate in that I have several -6's just lying around in my garage, but I just can't justify the price of the conversion parts. They will almost cost as much as upgrading the -4. Then add in the cost for the 5-lug conversion and brake upgrade, and you could have had a 911. Decent SC's are approaching the $10k range.

My first 911 was a 71T Targa, which had 125 hp and was an absolute blast to drive. The same hp in a lighter, mid-engined car would have to be just at fun, but I am thinking more so.

Just my $0.03.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
anthony
Best bang for the buck IMO is a hot 2056 with a mild cam. Everybody should get a ride in one just to see what a 50% boost in torque feels like. Can you say "scratch the tires in 2nd gear"? IMO, it makes a 914 the car it should have been from the factory.

Personally, I don't think the six makes a lot sense until you go the big six route (3L+). But then cubic dollars are involved at every step of the way.

degreeoff
QUOTE(anthony @ Jul 28 2007, 06:41 PM) *

Best bang for the buck IMO is a hot 2056 with a mild cam. Everybody should get a ride in one just to see what a 50% boost in torque feels like. Can you say "scratch the tires in 2nd gear"? IMO, it makes a 914 the car it should have been from the factory.

Personally, I don't think the six makes a lot sense until you go the big six route (3L+). But then cubic dollars are involved at every step of the way.

I have to disagree....Big six little six no difference...what you lose on one hand you gain on another torque VS rev's....the difference is in the "way" the engine feels...I had the 2056.....cost a fair penny in and of itself to put together, still a VW bus engine. The guy's I know who build class racers her spend 10K to have there 180hp 4 cyl race motor built every year because it just won't last....The six will

The Porsche 6 is unique AND will fetch every bit of the $$ in when you sell (done properly)

But what do I know......ONLY that a ride in the 200hp 2.7 made every 4 I'd ever ridden in (let alone other cars) feel SOOOO inferior....well there was the 2000 M5...but we are talkin banana's and limes

Ok I am done yellowsleep[1].gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(smj @ Jul 27 2007, 06:53 PM) *

"Problems like this are easy to fix. Get one of each!"
Heh -- I wish it were that simple! But now the two teeners compete with each other, the 944S, and the house for funding. Imagine if I actually had a family in the mix! unsure.gif

agree.gif , get both... I know what I'm talking about happy11.gif . Sell the wife, sell the kids, sell the house... av-943.gif
degreeoff
Now Johny....which one do you like best? Be honest now......

OK now I am REALLY done....
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(degreeoff @ Jul 29 2007, 12:01 AM) *

Now Johny....which one do you like best? Be honest now......

OK now I am REALLY done....

They really are 2 different beasts. The four comes w/ a little sway bar up front & a bigger one in the back. The six is the opposite- big in the front & small in the back. One is ultra nimble & one is ultra fast... I feel like an Arab w/ multiple wives laugh.gif
John
Since you limit performance to a stock, numbers matching 914/6, I would opt for the warmed over 4-cyl.

The performance of the stock, original 914/6 was not much better than the stock, original 914/4 2.0. They had a little bit different gearing, but performance was close enough.

Now if you opened it up for conversions (and I am biased), I would opt for a Motronic 911 engine (3.2 or 3.6). While I have never driven a 914 -3.6, I can imagine the additional 60-70 HP above and beyond my 3.2 cars. Performance would be incredible.

It comes down to how deep your pockets are and how much time you have.

A 4-cyl is quicker to bolt in to a 4-cyl chassis.

My last conversion took me 6 months (evenings and weekends). The end result is what I always wanted for my street car.
smj
Johny Blackstain wrote:
Sell the wife, sell the kids, sell the house... av-943.gif
Don't be absurd! That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard... dry.gif

... I mean honestly, if he sells the house where will he keep the cars? happy11.gif
JPB
I'd be all in for a Suby four. thumb3d.gif

Don't sell everything you have bro, just manhoe yourself for a little while.
Words to live by, by:JPB
degreeoff
QUOTE(smj @ Jul 28 2007, 10:26 PM) *

Johny Blackstain wrote:

... I mean honestly, if he sells the house where will he keep the cars? happy11.gif

He has a good point there..................
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(smj @ Jul 29 2007, 02:26 AM) *

Johny Blackstain wrote:

I don't agree- the dumbest thing would be to do it for Col. Kurtz instead of a Teener. It's from Apocalypse Now biggrin.gif .

Now the real fantasy is to get 40 acres in Montana for $40K, build a $25K all steel warehouse & go buy a used Winnebago/RV to park inside & live in. Surround the RV w/ tools, Teeners & Teener projects w00t.gif ! Eventually you could build your own track on those 40 acres as well! laugh.gif

Sorry about the hijack, I still vote for both.
Brando
I vote for both...

But after having driven many 914-4s and a few 914-6s I would opt for the six, suby turbo 4 or sbc 8. Even a hopped up type 4 can't compete with a 3.0L six. Acceleration is key, and those extra cylinders really help. If cost is the issue, then a subaru turbo 4 would be the best bet. Conversion costs are what makes these changes feasible. But if you want the strongest type 4 out there, raby would be the best bet - and you can get very close to a mild six in price and performance.
JPB
Take my advise friend, if you dance for a group of women, make sure you explain all your terms. Things might get ugly and they might rush you and use you as an amusement park. The various sites, pungent smells and invasively compromising positions may traumatise you for a long while. beer.gif
Lavanaut
clap56.gif

Some great feedback here. Seems like a few people glossed over my second post, though John saw it:

Since you limit performance to a stock, numbers matching 914/6, I would opt for the
warmed over 4-cyl.

...which is exactly right. Original, stock /6 or a big /4 from Jake. The whole reason I'm asking the question is because I've never driven a stock 6-cylinder 914, and I'm wondering if I could even get the most out of it that it has to offer, given how the car is typically driven ~ around town. I KNOW the big /4 would be fun around town, all that extra low-end torque. But I'm not sure about the six. At the same time, the /6 is appealing to me for other reasons as well.

Eh, I'm having a hard time putting it into words right now. I blame the Coronas. But one thing I do know is that while I can appreciate the "get both" approach, reality currently has my pocketbook by the balls. dry.gif

Feedback's appreciated gentlemen, thanks!
Johny Blackstain
My six is far from stock but I have driven a stock 2.0 & was impressed at the wide band of torque out of that little 2.0. Not balls to the wall like my 2.7 or bigger, but a lot more umph that the stock 2.0 4 cyl. Four is lighter & more nimble & could be fun around those curves but the six would rule the straights. I know, no help.
Lavanaut
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 29 2007, 06:54 PM) *

My six is far from stock but I have driven a stock 2.0 & was impressed at the wide band of torque out of that little 2.0. Not balls to the wall like my 2.7 or bigger, but a lot more umph that the stock 2.0 4 cyl. Four is lighter & more nimble & could be fun around those curves but the six would rule the straights. I know, no help.

Actually Johny, that's exactly the feedback I'm looking for. A lot of us haven't had the good fortune to drive both cars. sad.gif I don't know anyone personally that has, either. It's the people that have that can offer the best (or at least, most well-informed) take on this topic. Thanks.

Anyone else? biggrin.gif
hwgunner
There is a great little section of road not far from where I live that is my favorite place. I have had the pleaseure of driving this road with a couple friends who have cars with a great deal more power than mine. When we have gotten together and run no one wins. It is all about handeling. From your picture you are not limited by much more than your fear of a ticket which probably keeps you pretty sane around town. I think a McMark 2056 would be the way to go. Also, if reality has your checkbook by the balls now, then really, how are you going to sell your car and afford a real 6. Now I have never seen your car but chances are it is not worth more than about $10,000 tops. You sell it and then you need to come up with $15,000 on top of that to get the real 6. If you go with the 2056, roughly $6,200 gets you a great motor and MS FI ready to run and it all instals in one weekend. Save a little more money and add a tangerine and get another 7 to 10hp. If you have a little extra $$ spend it on suspension upgrades.

my .02
Lavanaut
QUOTE(hwgunner @ Jul 30 2007, 12:26 PM) *

Also, if reality has your checkbook by the balls now, then really, how are you going to sell your car and afford a real 6. Now I have never seen your car but chances are it is not worth more than about $10,000 tops. You sell it and then you need to come up with $15,000 on top of that to get the real 6.

That comment of mine was in consideration of getting BOTH cars. One or the other? Doable. Both? Not. smile.gif

Thanks for the feedback.
McMark
I've driven a 2.0 six (after I rebuilt it) and it was pretty docile. My feeling of ALL six motors has been that the peak torque is too high in the power band for my liking (yes even the 3.6). I prefer a wide flat torque curve, and the 911 motors are nothing like that in most cases. Think: turbo lag. Step on the throttle in a six car and yeah, you start moving pretty good, but once you pass 4500 rpm you really start moving. The best example to my ideal power was in a VW R32 (thanks Tom!). Step on the gas in that thing and it pulls the same at 2500 rpm as it does at 5000 and it's pulling HARD! There's no waiting around for the power to come on.

But all that being said, you need to decide what kind of driver you are. Sixes can be great fun and are perfectly suited for certain situations and people. I have no intention of insulting those people. The above is only my opinion pertaining to what I want for MY PERSONAL car.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 30 2007, 03:41 PM) *

I've driven a 2.0 six (after I rebuilt it) and it was pretty docile. My feeling of ALL six motors has been that the peak torque is too high in the power band for my liking (yes even the 3.6). I prefer a wide flat torque curve, and the 911 motors are nothing like that in most cases. Think: turbo lag. Step on the throttle in a six car and yeah, you start moving pretty good, but once you pass 4500 rpm you really start moving. The best example to my ideal power was in a VW R32 (thanks Tom!). Step on the gas in that thing and it pulls the same at 2500 rpm as it does at 5000 and it's pulling HARD! There's no waiting around for the power to come on.

But all that being said, you need to decide what kind of driver you are. Sixes can be great fun and are perfectly suited for certain situations and people. I have no intention of insulting those people. The above is only my opinion pertaining to what I want for MY PERSONAL car.

When was the last time you drove a stock 2.0/4? The engines you build must dust them. I found the power band to be greater in the stock six over the stock 4. Yes, you do have to wind them up a bit, but the six seems to keep going when the stock 4 peaks out.
McMark
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 30 2007, 12:36 PM) *
The engines you build must dust them.

Pretty much. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.