Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine conversion research thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jonferns
ok...have to make a decision for the roller...which way to go on the engine....T-IV, subie power, or /6 ........I have seen the prices of a 2.7 /6 (most need rebuilding) about $700-$900

Havent done much research on the subie engines...

So, which gives the most bang-for-your-buck? What are the "approx" cost for each (remember, approx)

Would not want to go any bigger than 2.7...which 6 engines could be had for a reasonable amount....would like to research this now, so when winter/spring comes along, we can do what we gotta do biggrin.gif

thanks alot -JON
Rand
Start by reading this: Engine Swap/Conversions FAQ
jonferns
thanks very much...very very good info -JON
jasons
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jul 27 2007, 08:46 PM) *

So, which gives the most bang-for-your-buck?

Straight bang for buck, no other criteria involved, small block Chevy V8.

Now if you want to talk about resale, and pumping water, and cutting holes in the chassis, etc. the discussion gets more complicated.

BTW I can't believe I just posted in a conversion thread. This is like pissing into a fan.
Dave_Darling
Figure $10K to have someone rebuild that 2.7 motor. That's why they can be had for cheap.

None of the options will be all that cheap to do well. You pays yer money for a Raby motor and bolts it in; you gets yer Small-Block Chevy and you chops up yer car and pays for cooling and transaxles and so on; you pays your money for the Six motor (and more for the conversion bits)... In general, none of the options are all that cheap.

--DD
rfuerst911sc
I'm currently purchasing the parts needed to do a /6 conversion useing a 3.0 911 engine. If you are going to do the work yourself that will really help control the costs because now it's just the parts that will affect your costs. I was lucky and found a 1978 ( big port ) 911 engine that came out of a running car for $3000.00 so I'm expecting no rebuild costs. Then I stumbled on some 40mm Weber carbs in good condition for $810.00 on a running engine so I have intake covered. I have to buy headers so roughly for $4000.00 I have a running engine. I recently purchased a DW Design oil tank on " promo pricing " for 700.00 including the filler neck,dipstick,cap and filter console. Rich Johnson supplied GT chassis stiffening kit,trailing arm kit and bulkhead engine mount. I still have to do oil plumbing,cooling and I'm converting to 911 struts,hubs,brakes etc. but buying used and having the cash when a " deal " pops up is key to controlling costs. I also have to purchase the conversion parts needed to mate the 3.0 to the 901 tranny. I'm guessing I am going to do this conversion for aprox. $10,000.00 in total............we'll see how close I get to that estimate dry.gif Not sure if this helps you or not but I like the idea of a 911 engine but I'm jaded as I also have a 1983 911SC coupe biggrin.gif
degreeoff
Yep agree.gif

And the cost can REALLY go up...my front mounted cooler was $$, engine tin was 350, throttle cable ad $$ throttle rods/linkage lalalalalalalalalala add for other goods too as they will pop up!

But a six is what was MEANT to be

Porsche snob

Josh
IronHillRestorations
You've got to figure out what really interests you (engine wise), and go from there.

My own preference is air cooled flat six, and I've built a few cars for other people and they have all been very happy with the end result.
TonyAKAVW
I have to say that bang-for-the-buck is based on how much effort you put into the conversion. If you buy an off the shelf solution or have someone do the work for you, its a tough call as to which gives the most bang for the buck. All options are going to be >$10k.

If you are going to do a lot of work yourself, a Subaru conversion can be done cheaply. I did mine for about $3k. But I did a ton of work and spent a lot of time on it.

-Tony
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.