Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: selling on ebay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
will
When selling on ebay, what is the best method for accepting payment? I heard paypal is not all that good because buyers can "chargeback."

How do I prevent fraudulent payments.

thanks
914-8
I usually just take paypal, which I don't like, but most buyers expect it and it is easy. I'll do this for smaller items where I can accept the loss if it happens.

But for any higher dollar items (like $1500+), I insist on a cashier's check, money order or bank check. I then deposit it, and ship the item when my bank confirms it has cleared. (Or at least confirms that it is valid and there is no hold or stop payment on it at the time I am depositing it. They can check that by calling the other bank while you wait).

I don't like the fact that a buyer can receive your goods, then chargeback on Paypal, and put the burden on you to get the money back.
STL914
QUOTE(will @ Jul 27 2007, 09:45 PM) *

When selling on ebay, what is the best method for accepting payment? I heard paypal is not all that good because buyers can "chargeback."

thanks

According to PayPal, a chagreback occurs when a buyer, for what ever reason, asks his credit card company to stop payment to PayPal. PayPal then will debit the seller's account that amount.

My PayPal account will not accept a credit card payment from a seller without my approval and a small fee that I would pay. I will not do it in any case. How is your account set up? If it will not accept credit card payments, chargebacks shouldn't be a concern.
slim72914
I had a bad experience with paypal... Sold an item and was paid for it with a stolen account. Payment cleared into my bank account so I shipped the item. The next day I looked at my paypal account and had a negative $150.00 balance. Had to eat it because the buyers address was not CONFIRMED in paypal. Only ship to confirmed addreses to protect yourself!!
will
QUOTE(STL914 @ Jul 29 2007, 07:31 PM) *

QUOTE(will @ Jul 27 2007, 09:45 PM) *

thanks

According to PayPal, a chagreback occurs when a buyer, for what ever reason, asks his credit card company to stop payment to PayPal. PayPal then will debit the seller's account that amount.

My PayPal account will not accept a credit card payment from a seller without my approval and a small fee that I would pay. I will not do it in any case. How is your account set up? If it will not accept credit card payments, chargebacks shouldn't be a concern.

my account is setup to accept credit cards. My car is on ebay now and I got several emails from people wanting to buy it now. One potential buyer is a new ebay member. he is from florida and something doesn't add up with this guy. He wants to use paypal but his account is not confirmed. I don't want a chargeback to happen and me losing my car.
Dr Evil
Dont do it! You just described a few factors that = possible fraud. Tell them to withdraw the money and get a bank check. Then wait for the check to clear. Any reasonable person will be ok with this and if they are not, forget them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.