Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Its time to paint my car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
904svo
I'm going to paint my kit car myself, I'm going to use Dupli-Color, Paint Shop
Brilliant Silver. I'v done so much work by my self I figure why not paint it.

Click to view attachment

Next picture I hope it will be Silver in color.

skline
I am using the same paint just a different color, I am using the Speed Yellow from them. You can do and if you take your time and do all the prep work carefully, it should come out nice. A good paint job is only as good as the prep work. If you can see it or feel it, it will show once the car is painted.

I would start with a 320 over the whole car, shoot a nice coat of primer and then sand with 600 wet, then prime it again and block it again with 600 or higher and then tack it off and shoot the first 2 coats of paint and then check it for run or imperfections and good coverage. Then after about 15 minutes or so, shoot another 2 or 3 coats and then check the whole car again for runs and imperfections. That should be about 2 cans of their paint. Then if you want, I would shoot another can on the car just for good measure. Then wait for about an hour and then shoot at least one can of clear over the whole car and then check it again for any runs or imperfections. They can be fixed after about 20 minutes of dry time. Then you can go back and shoot right over the repair and never know it is there.

Lacquer is so great and easy to shoot, your car will come out nice.

Post up pictures when you get it done.
904svo
Thanks for the great advice. This is the first time I ever try to paint a car.
The only problem I found is to use black primer with silver paint, so you
see were and how thick the paint going on.
thomasotten
If you want a bright silver, VW makes a nice one that is used on their late model cars.
1bad914
I think it's Reflex Silver, I'm about ready to paint my son's R32 in that color! PM me and I'll send you a document I wrote, it covers painting a car in your garage.
dakotaewing
I know you really not asking for suggestions for silvers - I will be painting my car the 07 Iriduim Silver that are on the new MBz's -
I am not sure that I would use a Black primer though... First rock chip and you will see black... I will have to look into this...

Thom
JPB
Freekin ssssssicklyyy SCHWEEEEEET!

Wow, that picture fixed my errectile disorder, or made it worse; at least for a little while. beer.gif
lotus_65
i

can't

wait

!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.