Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear-ended on the way home today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
szuccaro
Went to my first breakfast meeting today.. met some folks.. had a good time, nice breakfast...then.... while at a stop sign waiting to get on to 280 from Lawrence, a young lady smashed into us (had my 5 yr old with me). He is fine. My neck is hurting pretty good, probably because of the impact. Car is not so good. It was a good jolt that happened. The lady admitted that her foot slipped off the pedal... her insurance (Geico) already contact me and the claim has been filed.

Need recommendations for body/paint work in the SJC bay area. Thanks.. Steve
McMark
ohmy.gif That's horrible. sad.gif

Scott Yeoman @ Yeoman's Auto Body

He does all the 914 collision repair work in the bay area.
skline
Pain and suffering, night mares, bloody stools............

It all adds up to a very expensive bill for Geico

Some 20 years ago, The one and only accident I ever had I bumped a Mercedes doing about 3 MPH and the only damage was it cracked the tail light lens, they sued for bodily injury, pain and suffering and the bill was like $40k, I was shocked at the claim. What a joke.

Too bad about your car, it does happen and there is not much anyone can do about it, however, I would go for what you can and do not let them low ball you and try to go cheap on the repair, also get yourself checked out soon.

Again, sorry to hear about your car, it looks like it was a clean ride.
lotus_65
if your neck hurts, you get paid. end of story.

gl with the repair. looks like a nice car.
neo914-6
Steve, sorry to hear the bad news. I thought about attending but getting myself and my daughter up early on a weekend is improbable...especially after seeing the Simpson late show.

My experience early this year from my rear end collision was not fun and am still depressed about it. I dealt with ~8 different adjusters/reps and it took about 4 months. Their insurance will highly devalue your car and your only chance is to get reputable body shop estimates. Special parts are devalued even more unless they were purchased within the past year.

They did pay for two months of chiro treatments but very little for pain and suffering / lost time.
brp914
Some 20 years ago, The one and only accident I ever had I bumped a Mercedes doing about 3 MPH and the only damage was it cracked the tail light lens, they sued for bodily injury, pain and suffering and the bill was like $40k, I was shocked at the claim. What a joke.

same thing here except no damage, plus I had pictures to prove it. Well lo and behold, next thing ya know I get notice from DMV that my license was to be suspended for not filing accident report (which is only needed if damage is >$500 or injuries). It seems all 4 occupants in the other car needed chiropractic care from the brother of one of the occupants, and their car was undrivable. Had to go to DMV hearing and face the stromberg.gif . I wanted to ar15.gif the F'er. The scumbag atty they hired was later disbarred by the state, so they hired another. They saw my parents house and figured I was rich, but at the time I was penniless and had Assigned Risk coverage from CA which was basically worthless. In the end I kept my license, they got nothing and crawled back under their rock.

But, thats not all...today I go out to my '76 to see what?! Did somebody have a booboo? Oh, and surprise surprise, no note left behind. This F'er needs to be tarred, feathered red,white, and blue and left in Baghdad.
Michael N
QUOTE(szuccaro @ Jul 28 2007, 02:51 PM) *

Rich at Bodylines on Winfield Ave (near Golfland and Oakridge Mall)in San Jose did the bodywork and paint on my wife's Bumblebee. He did a perfect job on the black paint. When I get around to doing my car he'll get my business again. I am close by and you are welcome to check out the quality of the work he did on the car.
Dave_Darling
Steve, really sorry to hear that!

Get yourself to a doctor--now. If your neck is already hurting, that's not a good sign. It could just be muscle cramping, but it's very worth finding out! It's also good to have a paper trail.

Too bad the gal has Geico--they are notoriously bad about paying anyone. The more you can document things, the better!

--DD
jimkelly
this sucks - no questions about it !

are these cars like magnets - or what ?

wishes for a speedy recovery - all involved and 914 .

jim
Johny Blackstain
stromberg.gif ! Did the trunk top survive unscathed? Looks OK from the photo. Both taillights, bumper, bumper top, lower valence, probably a trunk lock & a lot of pulling & hammering. Good luck replacing the Porsche reflector. Check the trunk hinges for damage. Check the muffler & exhaust as well. Sorry for your loss... makes me scared to drive in traffic.
DanT
Concours Autobody in Campbell, Derrick is the owner. Very nice guy.

here is what some of their work looks like when displayed at San Jose Auto Show in Jan '07
DanT
another with better light
SirAndy
QUOTE(szuccaro @ Jul 28 2007, 01:51 PM) *

Scott Yeaman in Palo Alto. Yeaman Auto Body. he's a fellow 914 guy and does a lot of insurance work.
bye1.gif Andy
skline
If they give you any guff at all, go straight to a PI lawyer and start proceedings to sue the crap out of them. Their insured hit your car out of carelessness so it is their job to compensate you for damages and if you are hurt, the bill just goes up from there.
elwood-914
Scott Yeaman's

Click to view attachmentScott Yeaman's

Click to view attachment
szuccaro
Thanks everbody for the encourgagement.... so I got these recommendations and will be checking into which one is the best for 914 repair:

• Concours Auto Body in Campbell,
• Rich at Bodylines on Winfield Ave (near Golfland and Oakridge Mall)in San Jose
• Scott Yeoman @ Yeoman's Auto Body
• Bodystyle (Cecil Beech) * 524 E. Brokaw Rd. * San Jose, CA 95112 *

PS... its now starting to sink in.. and I am pissed! And my neck hurts like hell.
smj
Sorry to have missed you at breakfast, but sorrier to see what's happened. Please get to the doctor as soon as you can. And I'd hire a lawyer and let them have at Geico's lawyer, because Geico's people are going to look for every way possible to reduce what they pay out.

Hope to see you at the next breakfast despite this ugliness. But I'd suggest you drive the Merc Main Battle Tank we can see in the background...
fiid
So sorry to hear about this. Your car is (was sad.gif ) beautiful. I'm sure a good shop will have it fixed up in no time though. I've heard very good things about Yeaman's and I'm sure Dan's shop is excellent too looking at his car.

Good luck with the insurance co's - although hopefully you wont need it. The only advice I'd have is to make sure YOUR insurance co knows about it, since they'll go after the other guys for you in the event of the other guys not playing ball.
Jamie
stromberg.gif DO NOT treat a whiplash lightly! I had a rearender 12 yrs. ago- dude in a new F150 talking on a cell totaled my Taurus wagon. I was fine at the scene, but for several days afterward didn't even want to think about moving my neck. Now I have migraines from deteriorating neck disc cartilage and will eventually have to have replacement surgery. Document even if you feel fine in a few days!
Toast
ohmy.gif

sad.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
Zuke,
Is that an early rear bumper? If it is, insist an early one replaces it if the damaged one can't be straightened.
JPB
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 28 2007, 11:54 PM) *

stromberg.gif ! Did the trunk top survive unscathed? Looks OK from the photo. Both taillights, bumper, bumper top, lower valence, probably a trunk lock & a lot of pulling & hammering. Good luck replacing the Porsche reflector. Check the trunk hinges for damage. Check the muffler & exhaust as well. Sorry for your loss... makes me scared to drive in traffic.

JB is right on the head on this one. If it got hit on the pipes, it might crack your heads. Sometimes, neck injuries don't hurt until later in life when we get older. Don't settle for everything right now for cash and make sure your lawyer allows your case to be opened for future compensation if your health get worse. Good luck and sad to see this beautiful ride mangled. sad.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Better get started finding comps and getting a good valuation right now, 'cause they're gonna to try to total it. The Cap'n
McMark
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jul 29 2007, 11:29 AM) *

Zuke,
Is that an early rear bumper? If it is, insist an early one replaces it if the damaged one can't be straightened.

Appears to be a late bumper.
newto914s
QUOTE(brp914 @ Jul 28 2007, 03:05 PM) *

same thing here except no damage, plus I had pictures to prove it. Well lo and behold, next thing ya know I get notice from DMV that my license was to be suspended for not filing accident report (which is only needed if damage is >$500 or injuries). It seems all 4 occupants in the other car needed chiropractic care from the brother of one of the occupants, and their car was undrivable. Had to go to DMV hearing and face the stromberg.gif . I wanted to ar15.gif the F'er. The scumbag atty they hired was later disbarred by the state, so they hired another. They saw my parents house and figured I was rich, but at the time I was penniless and had Assigned Risk coverage from CA which was basically worthless. In the end I kept my license, they got nothing and crawled back under their rock.

But, thats not all...today I go out to my '76 to see what?! Did somebody have a booboo? Oh, and surprise surprise, no note left behind. This F'er needs to be tarred, feathered red,white, and blue and left in Baghdad.

brp914
If you have uninsured motorist coverage as part of your policy, your insurance Company should cover the damages to your 76. The damage would be considered a hit-and-run and Uninsured Motorist coverage covers that.

Steve, that suck! go to the Doc. You've already received a bunch of great advice. Follow it and I'm sure it will work out for the best.
Good luck
Samson
scruz914
Steve,

Sorry about your accident. Glad to hear your son is OK. Sounds like you aren't doing too good. I saw you pulled over to the side of Lawrence Expy as I was going through the intersection onto the 280 on ramp. I was moving too fast to see anything then and was wondering what happened. Painful to see the damage to such a beautiful car.

Too bad you have to go through the hassle to get the car repaired. Hopefully it will be as good as new for the next breakfast.

Good luck. Hope you feel better.

-Jeff
EdwardBlume
Sorry you have to go through this. Luckily your kid is OK.

On a lighter note, based on your license plate frame, was the lady who hit you a USC alum? If so, you know what to do....
Trevorg7
QUOTE(szuccaro @ Jul 28 2007, 10:55 PM) *

Thanks everbody for the encourgagement.... so I got these recommendations and will be checking into which one is the best for 914 repair:

• Concours Auto Body in Campbell,
• Rich at Bodylines on Winfield Ave (near Golfland and Oakridge Mall)in San Jose
• Scott Yeoman @ Yeoman's Auto Body
• Bodystyle (Cecil Beech) * 524 E. Brokaw Rd. * San Jose, CA 95112 *

PS... its now starting to sink in.. and I am pissed! And my neck hurts like hell.

Scott at Concours did my car too. The work was good (contact me if you want to see it in person), the strung out time to repair/paint was not (quoted 2 weeks, took 3 months).

Before and after photos below.

Good luck.

T
Jenny
Oh, God, Steve! I don't know how I missed this thread, but I'm so sorry this had to happen to you! Like others have said, I'm relieved your son is alright (although too bad about your neck) and hope that this won't deter you from attending another event.

Scott Yeaman at Yeaman autobody is a great guy, and their shop is very familiar with 914s. Beautiful work. But I think they're also $$. Which may not matter since it won't be you forking over the $$. Good luck!

Jen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.