Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Passenger footwell messed up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Belgium914
As i'm busy stripping out my complete interior i came across some, non-OEM stuff

The previous owner has installed 2 speakers in the passenger foot well, just under the feet of the passenger.
He made a construction of wood and expanding foam like used in construction.

But underneath this all, there was a different kind of foam, which looked more or less the age of the car. I was wondering if there was something like this originally. Anyway, it's broken as the guy "made" room for the speakers.
Any clues on how i should restore this foam?

I was just wondering if i should replace it, or just take it completely out.

(And if i take it completely out, will my brand new set of carpet still fit?)

Click to view attachment
1970 Neun vierzehn
Belg,
First.... welcome.png

Second, what year 914, engine type and market spec (I'm guessing a Euro-spec car)? My very early '70/4 has no foam whatsoever, so I'm assuming you've got a later year 914.

Paul
Belgium914
Thanks biggrin.gif

I started a topic, introducing the car in the "garage" section.

But it's a California import smile.gif 1973 1.7

Don't mind the wire laying across in the picture. There is some aftermarket car-alarm installed with a lot of wires. I'm trying to minimize the wires without cutting the one wire that locks the starting. smile.gif This wasn't a critical wire, so it's gone wink.gif
(as is the horn of the alarm, the broken central locking system, the tilt sensor, ...)
jonferns
all 3 of my '74's have them....but wait, yours is a '73...interesting...

why is the tunnel black on your car? is that original, or painted?? -JON
Belgium914
06/1973 to be exact wink.gif

The tunnel is painted black by the previous owner, i guess, it was easier than to get color matched paint smile.gif It will be L13K when i'm finished with it smile.gif

But how could i repair this? Any suggestions?

(Maybe i should be creative with constructive isolation foam too? )
jonferns
well, I would (personally) replace with original....I have an extra one, but I dont know if it would be worth it to you to have it shipped all the way out there, though I have no problem with it biggrin.gif -JON
Belgium914
If you have an extra one laying around, i will be more than happy to pay the shipping.
(Just let me know how we can arrange the details wink.gif by PM? )
Pat Garvey
I'd be more concerned with the "foam", than the tunnel cover (which is covered by carpet & not seen).

The foam is NOT correct - in any 914. I suspect that the PO, who installed the audio sytem, thought it would make the stereo sound more balanced. regardless, it needs to go.

It isn't original, but be careful how you remove it - don't want to slice up the floor. If it were mine, I'd shave it down with cheap, disposable razors as far as possible. You COULD then use brake cleaner to remove the remainder, but it may smear. I'd probably go as far as possible with the razors & forget about it.

Have to admit, this is the first time I've seen this!
Pat
Belgium914
OK, now i'm confused.

I'm quite sure the foam is not correct for a 1970-72 914 (the ones with the loose footrest for the passenger).

But is it or isn't it correct for a 1973 914? I hear a lot of different stories on the board. A lot of people seem to have this foam.

I think it will be critical for the correct fitment of the carpets.
Richard Casto
My 72 (build date 5/72) has the footwell foam piece. I don't however know which models/years have or don't have this item.
anderssj
build date on mine is 02/72; no foot-well foam.

iirc, the shape (length?) of the pass' side carpet also changed at the same time they added the foam . . . .
Pat Garvey
My '72 is build date June - no foam!
xperu
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 31 2007, 09:18 PM) *

My '72 is build date June - no foam!

I have one from my 73 and one from my 76 and both are the same. I prefer not to have it in the car. Mike
davep
The foam was placed under the carpet from 1973 models and replaced the tethered footrest found in the earlier cars.
Richard Casto
QUOTE(davep @ Aug 1 2007, 11:48 AM) *

The foam was placed under the carpet from 1973 models and replaced the tethered footrest found in the earlier cars.

I mentioned earlier the my 1972 has the foam, but I also want to be clear that I have no idea if it originally had it when new. Who knows how many things on it are pieced together from multiple model years by the PO. biggrin.gif

Dave, where does the tethered footrest attach? Do 1973+ also have the tethered footrest attachment points?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Aug 1 2007, 12:38 PM) *

QUOTE(davep @ Aug 1 2007, 11:48 AM) *

I mentioned earlier the my 1972 has the foam, but I also want to be clear that I have no idea if it originally had it when new. Who knows how many things on it are pieced together from multiple model years by the PO. biggrin.gif

Dave, where does the tethered footrest attach? Do 1973+ also have the tethered footrest attachment points?

The "72 1/2" 914's, produced in (my uderstanding) 05/72 had the inertia reel belts, different jack & no more ability to use the moveable footrest. Mine is one month later in production & agrees with those changes...& I've owned it since new.

No foam either. I guess the only way anyone would ever see the foam would be to remove the carpet cover, something the don't do in any concours I've EVER heard of, because it's destructive (to say the least).

Interesting topic - I learned something!
Pat
Belgium914
Well, some progress in this topic smile.gif

All the "foam" is removed and some protective layer is sprayed over the blank metal.

Click to view attachment

And the "foam" is definetily OEM or original, see nr. 26 on the Parts Catalogue drawing.
Of course it was NLA at Porsche but i managed to get a used one from www.914parts.nl

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
davep
I've never seen the footrest tethered, however I understand it used a screw for the speaker grille.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.