Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Would this devalue a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jonferns
OK, so we have a 2.0 engine from a '76, and may put it in our yellow '74 1.8 (for the extra, what, 20hp?)....would this be a wise decision? The 914 is very original, but in no way a concours car...the only "mods" may be the koni's...

now, would putting this engine in this car heavily devalue it? I am against it, but my dad insists...

any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Carlitos Way
Value? what value?

If you're thinking about selling it... sure, someone might say it has the "wrong" engine. However, if you plan on keeping it... why not go for the bigger engine? Just get rid of any additional smog crap you don't need.

Personally, I have no problem with an "unoriginal" engine in a mostly stock car. There's a HUGE difference between a concourse car and a daily driver, and a stock car. Unless you plan to go to an originality contest... do what makes the most sense.
sixerdon
Jon,
To answer your question, check out the green '71 on ebay right now with a 2.0 '76 engine. It also has the '76 tranny and the '76 tan interior. The car is a gem! Watch where this price goes. Imagine if it just had a 1.7 with tail shifter and standard '71 interior. This car won 1st place at this years Zone 1 event in Newport. This baby is ready to drive anywhere. Turn key and smile.
Don
jonferns
so, the 2.0 would be more desirable?
BMITCHELL
yes!!

I sold my 1.8. If it had a 2.0 I would still have it.
sixerdon
Swapping to a 2.0 isn't a bad thing. You can always sell the car with the original engine when you are ready. Good experience on understanding these cars. Your decision.
Don
jonferns
just wanted some support. the engine swap is still a ways off....maybe winter....so, should the car be labeled as such (2.0)?
jonferns
gotta put some serious time into cleaning/detailing this engine biggrin.gif FERG.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jul 29 2007, 06:47 PM) *

for the extra, what, 20hp

in your dreams ... biggrin.gif

the '76 2.0L was the least powerful of the 2.0L, and that was when they were new. now after god knows how many miles, don't expect too much "improvement" over your 1.8L ...

bye1.gif Andy
dflesburg
If your wife had bigger boobs and a smaller butt, would you leave her?
BMITCHELL
Replace a tired 1.8 with a tired 2.0. Your still ahead of the game with more HP.
Spoke
I have a 1.7 and 2.0. Put the 2.0 in. 20HP more when talking about 93 HP total is more than 20% increase in power. I vote to do it.

Spoke
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.