Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2008 PCA Parade - Charlotte
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
I just want to clarify some things about the PCA Parde next year, because I suddenly realized that maybe some of those interested are not aware of the rules, which are routine to me after 34 years of membership.

1. To participate - you MUST be a member of PCA. Yep, you have to pay dues - $42/yr at last count. Worth every buck. Not a member - can't do the Parade. You can spectate at will - just can't participate in any events.

2. This thing lasts a week! Longer for serious concours people. There is NO tougher concours, rally, technical or autocross series of events for a porsche owner - NONE. Every event is the toughest. You don't have to enter every event either. Just play where you're comfortable. My eye coordination sucks anymore, so I'll no longer be doing the autocross.

3. To play, you must abide by the PCR's (Parade Competition Regulations), and they require some study (available at pca.org). These ARE the rules - you must play by them. Get 'em, read 'em, absorb 'em. If you have questions about any aspect, there is a PCR Committee. They administer & debate the rules. I can help you get in touch with them, if necessary. PLEASE - read the rules before you ask questions.

4. This NOT unstructured, "seat of the pants" stuff. It's the Big Leaques! You abide by the Judge's(concours) decision, or protest. BTW, the judges are the BEST there is - look at the name badges & be humbled that they are judging your 914. These guys & gals are not just yanked from the crowd - they're groomed & they're usually the best.

5. Mostly, since you know the rules, chill! Enjoy the buds you are surrounded with. These are people you make lifelong realtionships with. I know I can't wait to make some new face-to-face realtionships, though I'm making every effort to whip you. But, in the long run - who cares who wins.

Pat
Jasfsmith
Just a couple of corrections and additions to Pat's message.

This coming year's Parade spans 5 days (or so I've been told).

The Concours which usually the first competitive event, will be located on the main street in Charlotte. The main drag will be closed to traffic, permitting plenty of space for the event. The setting should be a departure from the past several Parade's where a golf course was utilized, with the historic district offering some interesting backdrops.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
i would even suggest that we prepare as a team to make the highest scores possible. Even something like a get ready and then prejudge by those of us who really know would be great. Would make the competition better.
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 31 2007, 03:56 PM) *

i would even suggest that we prepare as a team to make the highest scores possible. Even something like a get ready and then prejudge by those of us who really know would be great. Would make the competition better.

Not a bad idea, though I'm not sure how we can make this happen.
Johny Blackstain
When & how does one register for next summer? What are the fees? I am a PCA member & got that much down biggrin.gif .
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 31 2007, 05:20 PM) *

When & how does one register for next summer? What are the fees? I am a PCA member & got that much down biggrin.gif .

Look for notices in Panorama (the PCA's monthly mag for those not familiar). The entry registration form is usually made available in March with instructions for how and when to submit it. The online entry is the best way to go.

I expect the next Parade will be sold out rather quickly as the Parade will be the first East coast Parade since 2005 and the 2009 is likely to go out to Colorado from what I heard.

Start by downloading the current PCR's and checking out the Concours event rules.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jul 31 2007, 03:15 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 31 2007, 03:56 PM) *

Not a bad idea, though I'm not sure how we can make this happen.

I'm Ok with it, but how do we make a "vitual" concours happen, because that's what it would need to be.

I see the serious competition spread out amongst a number of states. So, all would need to ready to play. Then....there could be the holdouts - those who prey on our tips & suggestions. Besides, my car is so filthy......

Can only hope that I don't get bumped into Resto class & have to compete with George! Though, I wouldn't feel shabby about getting beaten by a superior. Regardless of class. I'll just show my 914 & be happy to be surrounded by like-thinking people. Humble pie ain't so bad, when you get to know your brothers.
Pat
Johny Blackstain
I agree that a virtual concours seems the best way to go on this idea of team preparation.

This brings up a point that I've discovered lately. I've been documenting the preparation of my 74 w/ digital photos. Every time I start or finish something I've been shooting it & it has helped me a lot. For example, I shot a pic of my interior & noticed a chip on the black paint of the passenger seat handle. I never noticed it till I took a picture. After that I went & touched up the handle.

I guess some sort of concours prep thread is in order?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.