Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Right front high pitch EEEEE sound
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smg914
On my 1971 914-6 when I reach about 15 mph I begin to hear a high pitch EEEEE sound about every half second. It sounds the same at 70 mph as it does at 20 mph. I can take it out of gear and coast and it doesn't change. I can hear the EEEEE sound every half second while coasting in neutral at 70 mph and it continues until the car slows down to about 15 MPH and then it goes away. It seems to be coming from my right front wheel area. Hitting the brakes doesn't change it at all. Swerving back and forth doesn't change it either. I removed the wheel and the pads are not touching the brake rotor. I spin the wheel and it doesn't make any noise at all. Any ideas?
skline
Ok, I give up! confused24.gif

What was it? smile.gif
skline
Or maybe you should check for mice or rats up in your front end, they squeal like little girls when you step on them, maybe you have one addicted to speed
Brando
Wheel bearing...
smg914
Yeah, I kind of think its a wheel bearing too, but based on my description it just seems like it could be something else causing it.
Twystd1
Falfagian belt under the steering rack. I hate it when those go bad.

Skline taught me that trick.

If you listen close. It almost sounds kinda like a Hendrix Sonata on head phones.

German Seal oil is the quick fix. I know they have to kill baby seals to make it.
But what else can we do?

Twystd1
SGB
I think wheel bearing as well. One or more of the rollers is disentigrating. BTDT smile.gif

Or maybe the can of ready whip is running out
Twystd1
OK... I am sitting whith a bunch of gear heads at my favorite coffee house.

Our prognosis..

REAR wheel bearing. Based on all the data you gave us.

SO.... Put your rear end up on jack stands. Start the car in a SAFE PLACE.
Then put it second gear and slowly hit the gas. See if the sounds comes back.

Thats the best we can do with the data you gave us.
I keep thinking we need to ask you more questions. Like...

Does the pitch or regularity change at all??? If so... When?

And.. High pitched noise or lower pitched noise.???

Twystd1
smg914
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Jul 30 2007, 09:33 PM) *

OK... I am sitting whith a bunch of gear heads at my favorite coffee house.

Our prognosis..

REAR wheel bearing. Based on all the data you gave us.

SO.... Put your rear end up on jack stands. Start the car in a SAFE PLACE.
Then put it second gear and slowly hit the gas. See if the sounds comes back.

Thats the best we can do with the data you gave us.
I keep thinking we need to ask you more questions. Like...

Does the pitch or regularity change at all??? If so... When?

And.. High pitched noise or lower pitched noise.???

Twystd1

It is possible that the sound is coming from the rear. I haven't had a passenger to help tell me where the sound is coming from. While driving the car it just seems like its coming from the right front. I could be wrong.

The pitch never changes. Its a very high pitch EEEEE on and off every quarter to half second while moving over 15 mph.
Twystd1
And the regularity of the sound doesn't change with speed?

Twydtd1
type47
i have a similar noise that starts about 30 mph, goes away under 30. no change in pitch, fast or slow. high pitched, like you describe but more of a constant slightly wavering squeal, not on-off. i think mine comes from the rear though.
So.Cal.914

I removed the wheel and the pads are not touching the brake rotor.

Not to get off the EEEEEEE!, and I agree with Clayton, but your pads should

have contact with your rotor.
jonferns
they squeal like little girls when you step on them, maybe you have one addicted to speed

av-943.gif
Jasfsmith
Loose brake dust shield making contact with wheel?
URY914
Steve it could be several things. Here is what I think.

1. You need to let me drive it. You don't have to come along with me. I'll get it to make alot of new noises so that you won't even care about that EEEEEE sound.

2. At your advanced age you are probably hearing things and it has nothing to do with the car. Again let me drive it and I'll fix it.

3. Let me drive it.

OK, when you coming over?

Paul
smg914
You are a very funny guy Paul!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyway, my car is way too heavy for you.

I was going to take my wife for a ride in the car today and have her stick her head out the window and tell me where the noise is coming from (front or back of car) but unfortunately it's been raining most of the day.
URY914
It's not raining at my house. biggrin.gif
smg914
The high pitch squeal sound has been cured, so I thought I would document the fix.

The annoying sound was coming from the right side of my 914-6. It would begin at around 15 or 20 mph and continue at all higher speeds. The pitch of the sound and the rhythm would not change weather it was 20mph or 70mph. The sound didn't change going around a turn, coasting in neutral or slamming on the brakes.

I eventually determined the sound was coming from the right rear wheel area. I took the car to Vortex Motorsports a couple of weeks ago. They put it up on a lift, started the engine, put it in gear and listened to the right rear wheel bearing with a stethoscope and he said it sounds fine. He checked for anything that might be rubbing and even adjusted the emergency brake cable. When I drove away, the sound was still there.

I took the car back yesterday and told them to change the right rear wheel bearing and guess what? That fixed the problem.

This problem was certainly not your typical symptom of a bad bearing. The wheel was not loose on the hub, there were no grinding or knocking sounds. Only a high pitch squealing sound about every quarter second.
Eric_Shea
That didn't take too long. biggrin.gif
smg914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 10 2010, 11:47 AM) *

That didn't take too long. biggrin.gif

Yes, a lot of time but very few miles.
sixers34926
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jul 31 2007, 06:51 AM) *

I removed the wheel and the pads are not touching the brake rotor.

Not to get off the EEEEEEE!, and I agree with Clayton, but your pads should

have contact with your rotor.

they should have contact?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.