Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: pushrod tube differences
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orange914
the dirty large one is from 71 1.7 and the thin came from box of 2.0? parts. is one aftermarket? could the large return oil better? i have a chioce what do you think? confused24.gif
Click to view attachment
DanT
QUOTE(orange914 @ Jul 30 2007, 11:35 PM) *

the dirty large one is from 71 1.7 and the thin came from box of 2.0? parts. is one aftermarket? could the large return oil better? i have a chioce what do you think? confused24.gif
Click to view attachment

those are ugly, buy some new ones...they are not that expesive.
BahnBrenner914
Once oil gets hot and pressurized, I dont think you'll have a supply issue unless you have some crazy engine setup.
DanT
better shot

in all seriousness, the seals at both ends are more important than the shape or cleanliness of the tubes. They are just for the pushrods to reside in...
orange914
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jul 30 2007, 11:40 PM) *

eeeewwww, those are nice. unfortunately the dropped valve in the original engine has already turned into $2500 in parts!
seriously i will entertain the idea. roughly how much and where did you get those? do they seal like o.e.m.?
DanT
QUOTE(orange914 @ Jul 30 2007, 11:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jul 30 2007, 11:40 PM) *

eeeewwww, those are nice. unfortunately the dropped valve in the original engine has already turned into $2500 in parts!
seriously i will entertain the idea. roughly how much and where did you get those? do they seal like o.e.m.?

when you build your engine you will need to buy a complete set of seals...
the pushrod tube seals are part of that package.

you must be buying some very nice parts...when I built my motor I spent about $2K total including the machine work on my heads, case, pressure plate, crank and some other assorted stuff.
orange914
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jul 30 2007, 11:53 PM) *

you must be buying some very nice parts...when I built my motor I spent about $2K total including the machine work on my heads, case, pressure plate, crank and some other assorted stuff.

fortunately or UNfortunately my wife is squeezing me to do it ONCE and do it right. again fortunately my wife always liked the 914 and this one is a keeper. half of that $ are in the heads i got from jake. i'm sure it'll be worth it in the end AND i dont want all the effort the guys that are helping us to go to waste. thumb3d.gif
Joe Ricard
Well, you would have more room around your exhaust if you used the skinny ones. Dang I never noticed this before.

Purdy don't count in my car. But it gotta work and as long as they are not dented to oblivion they are fine. this oil is not presurized as it returns from the valve cover to the sump. If it were presurized them itty bitty O-rings would never hold back the flood.
BahnBrenner914
Oh, my bad about the pressure thing confused24.gif , but no supply issue anyway. biggrin.gif

Hey, I'm not done with my ME degree, I'm still learning.
brer
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jul 30 2007, 11:53 PM) *

Nice has a price.
cool.gif
Jake Raby
We carry new OEm pushrod tubes. I'll beat any price you can find for them on the net.
ruddyboys
I have an early 70 1.7 in my car, does anyone know were to get new "o"rings and maybe tubes. I hate to have to have the heads bored out to except the usual tubes
orange914
QUOTE(ruddyboys @ Jul 31 2007, 01:11 PM) *

I have an early 70 1.7 in my car, does anyone know were to get new "o"rings and maybe tubes. I hate to have to have the heads bored out to except the usual tubes

i dont think the bores are any different on early?
914Sixer
Yes, the early 1.7 had different size tubes. It was a one year deal. I do not think it was mentioned anywhere but I know from experience of taking the early engines apart in the early 90's.
orange914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 31 2007, 06:16 PM) *

Yes, the early 1.7 had different size tubes. It was a one year deal. I do not think it was mentioned anywhere but I know from experience of taking the early engines apart in the early 90's.

good triva anyway, i guess if early were changed there must have been a reason? maybe just as simple as supplier. i would think the larger would let the oil return and not collect or puddle in the intake. not becouse of volume but becouse the smaller would create a raised area and "trap" the lower area under the valve cover?

really, why am i concerned chair.gif beer3.gif blink.gif
BxtrBill
QUOTE(ruddyboys @ Jul 31 2007, 01:11 PM) *

I've used -211 Viton o-rings on the cylinder head end of the early pushrod tubes. These are available from McMaster Carr or at a local industrial seal/bearing house if you happen to have such a thing nearby.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.