Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Shady PA vehicle inspection places?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
So my vehicle inspection is due for my 4Runner (which I HATE as it bleeds me when it can) and I decide to take it down to the Meiniki (SP) shop that is right down the street and that I have taken the new VUE to before with no problem. I get a call a few hours later telling me that the 4Runner needs ~$750 worth of work; Both front lower ball joints, alignment after ball joint install, new exhaust pie and muffler because both have holes in them (I believe this part), and a front sway drop link because one of them is "broken or missing" according to the shop foreman. No freakin way I can afford $750 right now, and I know how to change a ball joint and drop link so I pay them $340 for the inspection, oil change, and all the exhaust work.
Here is where it gets weird. I get home, look under the front end and to my surprise I find BOTH drop links are there and neither is broken. I knew the Rt one was good as I just replaced it last year, but how the hell can they say that the drop link is broken? Its kind of like a pregnant lady, she either is or is not pregnant. Ball joints are a bit harder to diagnose, but I wasnt about to pay them $75ea when I can get both for that price or less. I need to give them a call and find out what the deal is with the front.

What do you all think?
SteveL
First impression?
Tech paid on production.
RUN and don't go back.
balljoint
agree.gif

Big Time

Dr Evil
I called and got a little more info. The link is a special (as far as 4Runners go) type with an end like a tie rod. He said the joint is badly worn. This again is a hard diagnosis. I am going to replace it anyway. Since they told me it was the side with the old one (they couldnt tell the other was newer) I guess I have no conclusive evidence that they are bad. I just hate being at the mercy of the people doing the inspection. In CA they stopped that crap because their was too much corruption; shop inspects car also fixes car = too much temptation to screw over the populous.
John
Did you at least get a new exhaust for $340? I hope so.

Me thinks you got the shaft.
balljoint
When I was a stoopid kid (I am now a stoopid adult), I had a squeal in the front end when applied the brakes on my DD. Took it to Midas (same type of place) and they told me I needed all new brakes $800 for the job and I might as well get the oil changed for another $15. Eeep. No money, so I thanked them for the free estimate and went down the road to another shop. They pulled the stone out from between the pad and the rotor and sent me on my way for $0.00.

Demick
Ball joints, tie rod ends, drop link bushings, etc can all be easily verified by you. Just jack up the front end of the car and start trying to shake, pull, and push on the joints. Grab the left and right edges of a front wheel and wiggle back and forth. Do the same by grabbing the top and bottom of the wheel to try and twist the wheel in that direction (think camber direction). You are trying to feel if any joints are in any way loose. If you feel any sort of looseness or clunking - track down the joint where it's coming from.

Any of those ball joint couplings will have some play if they are bad.

Demick
Demick
It's also possible that they are telling you they need to be replaced because the rubber boots which hold the grease in and the dirt out are split or torn. That's easily inspected for as well. If they are, but there is no play in the joint - then replacement will come pretty soon, but isn't exactly necessary to do right now (depending on how badly it's torn).
fitsbain
Mike -

My dad's 67 Buick Skylark has had a "bad" balljoint in it since I was 7.

Still just fine. Only good year seems to think it is bad.

Cap'n Krusty
I'll skip most of my chain store rant, and simply tell you that the managers of most of the national chain store branches, or the franchisees, are likely to be on a first name basis with their state attorney general, and it's NOT because they're golfing buddies.

Opportunities and temptations are there when the techs and service writers get a piece of the parts net, not to mention labor commissions. It's sad, but true, and it's a LOT more common in that type of shop than in an independent facility where reputation means more than advertising.

The Cap'n

GWN7
to check ball joints , jack car so the tire up just off ground and put a bar under the tire.....lift it up and down....if there bad you will see movement
in them.
Dr Evil
I HATE working on this damn Toyota! I figure that the ball joints probably do need replacing as this was a neglected vehicle that I had the luck of buying after its abuse. It sucks that my first though is whether or not I am getting screwed, but as Krusty pointed out, there are reasons for such. I found an independent shop in the opposite direction, but still on biking distance so I will try them next (because I have too many damn cars!). I cant wait until the 914 gets inspected, I know every inch of it personally.
Thanks for the tips on inspecting the ball joints, on a tall 4x4 the method described by Bruce is what is recommended. I'll be checking them as I remove them just to make myself feel better (already bought the replacements). I will be saving a bunch doing it myself, but I need to be studying for the USMLE dry.gif I have some MP3 lectures I can listen to while working on it. Nothing like covering cardiac/renal/GI/and endocrine while whacking the hell out of some ball joints biggrin.gif
wilchek
Meinke, OWWW. Don't go there, kids right out of highschool 12 bucks and hours. Did you get you inspection sticker. In PA they will not put the sticker on if their is something they have to fix. Caveat Emptor in PA, it is good and bad. Less BS when it comes to the small points but as you said you need to find a mechanic you trust.

FYI: if you plate the 914 as an antique you do not need to get it inspected (ever) and you have a one time registration fee.
ptravnic
I don't have experience w/PA inspection BUT my orange 914's last year's NY inspection was done by a shop in Manhattan's meatpacking (not the kind w/peanut butter you sicko) district.

The guy took a look at the car in the drive way, wrote down the VIN, printed out a fresh sticker and said (in a very Coming to America sort of way) - "That'll be $10".

gotta love nyc...
r_towle
Dude,
If you hate it, sell it.
Buy a simple cheap front wheel drive car. It will get you anywhere, and its cheap..

Look, you just replaced the muffler for the new owner, and you have a new sticker on it.
Sell now, run away while you can, move on to another cheaper car.

Rich
Dr Evil
I want, have wanted to sell this thing ever since I bought it, but it is a necessity at the moment. I need to get the MBZ or the 914 up and running so I can sell it. That will be a happy day!

I did not get the safety sticker, I will be dropping it off tonight so they can reinspect (and charge me again) tomorrow. They did give me the emissions sticker which is like the kiss of death because no other shop would want to look at my car lightly if I had one and not the other and came in for an inspection. The guys at this shop are not the typical 18yo type. They are older.

The postmortem on my car: The drop link was not broken, the nut was loose (saved me $69), one of the lower joints may have been going out, the other seemed fine to me, but for $50 I did them both and it is done.

Damn soul sucking 4Runner dry.gif
Dr Evil
Oh ya, if I title it as antique in this small town, the cops will notice that I am driving it more often than I should. rolleyes.gif
scotty b
Was the shop "manager" wearing a pair of assless chaps when he gave you the bill?? poke.gif
wilchek
Ya it always freaks me out that I drive around with my inspection sticker out of date. You just need to get to know the cops. Small town cops work both ways. They bust your balls or let you go, when they should be busting you. Just get to know all five of them and you will be good to go. You can drive it as much as you want for the most part as long as you have another car registered as you primary vehicle. They don't track the miles.

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 1 2007, 10:19 PM) *

Oh ya, if I title it as antique in this small town, the cops will notice that I am driving it more often than I should. rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.