Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Running cooler ..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
My summer engine temps have been running in the 210-220 range this summer, particularly in traffic conditions.

Removed the rain tray, the engine temps appear to have dropped 20 degrees. I'm running 180-200 now.

Was curious if others have found the same

Jim
Dave_Darling
Yup. Didn't help as much on my car.

Removing the engine lid can help a little more--that's part of the principle behind the GT engine lid.

--DD
Jake Raby
Ummn, those aren't engine temps- they are oil temps...
Not one in the same! Oil temp is NOT engine temp!
SGB
Does anyone know what volume of air the engine fan pushes? I guess it would be a relationship of RPM to CFM, and probably isn't linear. And then there is the volume of air inducted for combustion, too. I'm theorizing about car speed and ram-air, etc. just wondering what quantity of air would need to be pushed into the engine bay to surpass the low pressure induced by all that air flow out of there. Perhaps it is reasonable to try to increase air going in, but there is too much rain around here to remove the tray, so I'm wondering if it would be worht it to try to increase access of outside air to the engine bay some other way...
toon1
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 31 2007, 08:50 PM) *

My summer engine temps have been running in the 210-220 range this summer, particularly in traffic conditions.

Removed the rain tray, the engine temps appear to have dropped 20 degrees. I'm running 180-200 now.

Was curious if others have found the same

Jim

QUOTE(SGB @ Aug 1 2007, 07:40 AM) *

Does anyone know what volume of air the engine fan pushes? I guess it would be a relationship of RPM to CFM, and probably isn't linear. And then there is the volume of air inducted for combustion, too. I'm theorizing about car speed and ram-air, etc. just wondering what quantity of air would need to be pushed into the engine bay to surpass the low pressure induced by all that air flow out of there. Perhaps it is reasonable to try to increase air going in, but there is too much rain around here to remove the tray, so I'm wondering if it would be worht it to try to increase access of outside air to the engine bay some other way...

IF those are oil temps., according to Jake's radio show they are normal. Below 180 is getting too low and 220 is getting a bit on the high side but still ok. Oil temps. and CHT are two seperate things and for the most part DO NOT correlate.

I would also interested to know how much air flow the engine bay would need to create a positive or equal pressure.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(SGB @ Aug 1 2007, 07:40 AM) *

If you don't want to remove it, drill big holes in the bottom for more air. smile.gif huh.gif
IronHillRestorations
Regardless of where and what the temp is measured from, I think the point is that he saw lower temps by pulling the rain tray.

Jim, you might think about getting a second engine lid and making a double grill "GT" engine lid. The best one I've seen was disassembled (cut spot welds), and then the solid panel was cut out leaving about a 1/2" perimeter. Then a second engine grill was flattened and welded to the back side of the cut out panel. Much smoother looking IMHO. If I can pull it out of the rafters I'll take a pic.

With a double engine grill or no rain tray, you'll need a 914 Umbrella Cover to keep the rain out though! biggrin.gif (I'm thinking Jim has one though)
Allan
I run a gt style grill on my /6 and oil temp dropped from around 220 to 205-210.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Headrage @ Aug 1 2007, 09:24 AM) *

I run a gt style grill on my /6 and oil temp dropped from around 220 to 205-210.

Allan isn't mentioning that he lives in Bakersfield. It is hot as hell at ambient. The GT lid must be pretty effective to drop oil temp by 10-15 degrees.

The other secret that shouldn't be a secret with these cars is to keep your revs up. You can't just drop an air cooled motor into 5th gear and lug along...
dbu356
"Does anyone know what volume of air the engine fan pushes?"

According to the "Technical Specifications" book...
Delivery rate Approx. 800 l/sec at 4600rpm
Demick
QUOTE(dbu356 @ Aug 1 2007, 02:28 PM) *

Delivery rate Approx. 800 l/sec at 4600rpm

That's about 1700 CFM (cubic feet per minute) for those of us that live in the States.

BTW, I notice no engine oil temperature difference when I switch between my standard engine lid with rain tray, and my GT style lid (no rain trays obviously).

Demick
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(9146986 @ Aug 1 2007, 08:57 AM) *

Regardless of where and what the temp is measured from, I think the point is that he saw lower temps by pulling the rain tray.

Jim, you might think about getting a second engine lid and making a double grill "GT" engine lid. The best one I've seen was disassembled (cut spot welds), and then the solid panel was cut out leaving about a 1/2" perimeter. Then a second engine grill was flattened and welded to the back side of the cut out panel. Much smoother looking IMHO. If I can pull it out of the rafters I'll take a pic.

With a double engine grill or no rain tray, you'll need a 914 Umbrella Cover to keep the rain out though! biggrin.gif (I'm thinking Jim has one though)

Have a GT lid and will compare next week. Reason I removed the rain tray was I could reach the shelf the GTG lid is stored, so I did the next best thing.

Not a lot of rain in So Cal.

Interesting remarks, thanks for the comments.

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.