Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where can I purchase Braided Brake Lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
quadracerx
Where can I buy new braided brake lines for both front and rear caliper to fitting?

Thanks...

Steve
BMartin914
The usual suspects...

skline
Not really, he just needs to change the title, he is looking for information on where to buy some, not if anyone has some to sell him.

Check Pelican or even Eric here in the vendors section. I think he sells them.
DanT
forget the braided lines and just buy some nice new factory rubber lines.
they are just fine for almost all applications. even cars used for AX and track duty...
markb
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jul 31 2007, 09:21 PM) *

they are just fine for almost all applications. even cars used for AX and track duty...

agree.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(markb @ Jul 31 2007, 09:42 PM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif
McMark
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 31 2007, 09:58 PM) *

QUOTE(markb @ Jul 31 2007, 09:42 PM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif

agree.gif
G e o r g e
agree.gif WTF.gif biggrin.gif

or if you still want braided contact Hwgunner on here. he sells them on eBay
bbrown
I have braided lines on my car but don't do it. Just my 2 pennies worth.
jd74914
Just remember that braided lines decay from the inside, so you can't really inspect them for problems. You will just have catastrophic failure when they go. Don't do it.
Joe Ricard
I have never not had braided lines on my braking systems. Both 914's and my 928 for 60,000 miles on each of them.
Racing and street.

Yes maintenance is required and inspection is required. But I do that as regular practice.
rfuerst911sc
I'm curious on the negative feedback on the braided lines why is that? It wasn't mentioned but if you're buying DOT rated what is the issue? And don't most OEM rubber AND aftermarket braided break down from the inside? If so then how do you inspect either? I would think if you replace every 5 years or so with yearly fluid flush either would be acceptable?
markb
Rubber lines will crack and/or swell before they fail, giving you some kind of warning. Braided will not. When a braided line goes, it's total loss of pressure and immediate failure. Not a good thing.

DOT approved braided are fine if you check them on a very regular basis, but if it's on a street car, that kind of maintenance usually isn't regular enough. Plus, why so insistent on braided? Bling factor? Not a good enough reason, but that's only IMHO.
Cap'n Krusty
You're all waiting for me, right?

Failure mode for OE lines is usually internal swelling causing the brakes to stay applied on one or more wheels, and occurs mostly after 15-20 years of never changing the brake fluid. Occasionally, one will break at the crimp, but it's rare and usually related to installation error. Failure mode of SS braided teflon lines is utter, instant, and total loss of brakes. Furthermore, it's recommended they be inspected every few months (remember, you CANNOT see the actual pressure line under the braid, and the covering over the braid, in some cases), and changed every couple of years. The braid can (and often does) trap dirt and sand, which then eats up the teflon liner, or the SS gets damaged and cuts through the teflon like a Sawzall with a fresh blade.

Sure, they run 'em on race cars. They're installed by guys who do it every season, sometimes more. They're checked before, during, and after every outing, and the cars run on racetracks, where there's a greatly reduced chance of becoming involved with dirt, sand, and general road debris. The fluid gets flushed after every race or practice session, giving further opportunity for visual and physical inspection.

Most of us, and that includes those who compete in their cars, can't tell the difference in pedal feel between cars equally equipped, with the exception of the type of brake hoses. New OE type lines have the same pedal feel as new SS braided teflon lines.

In most cases, OE type lines are cheaper, last for 10-20 years (and probably more if the fluid is flushed every 2 years as it's supposed to be), and provide safe, reliable braking. Even if the SS hoses were the same price, and required no adapter pieces, they'd cost you 10 times as much over that 20 years, and you'd have 10 times the labor, and the irritation of 4-6 careful inspections a year.

But they're shiny! Well, sort of ........................

BTW, I've PERSONALLY seen 2 or 3 failures of SS lines, and 1 of OE type lines. The SS line cars represent less than .5% of my clientele, and there over a thousand cars on that list. I've also seen pictures from a guy on the quattro list from a brake line failure at a Quattro Club track day at Watkins Glen (or maybe Bridgehampton). Not pretty, and NOT cheap. If you have a brake failure related accident, and your insurance company finds out you have SS braided hoses, they may very well tell you "so long, and thanks for all the money ...........". That MAY even hold true for DOT approved SS lines, just because they can.

Have a nice day, The Cap'n
propricer
If, after all that discussion, you still want braided lines (???), I have a brand new DOT approved braided set still in the Troutman / Pelican package ( PN SS914D ).
Pelican gets $ 66.10+ship+tax
I'll sell them for $50 including ( flat rate ) shipping.
email ed.ducey@gmail.com
rfuerst911sc
Thanks for the education.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jul 31 2007, 11:21 PM) *

agree.gif even more than you guys!
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.