Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Harness Installation Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chuck
I picked up a set of new and never used 4 point harnesses from my brother along with some used Sparco seats. The harnesses have the bolt through attachment versus the wrap around the bar attachment for the shoulder straps. Due to concerns about spinal compression in the event of an accident, I don't really like the option of bolting through the firewall.

Is there a harness bar out there that has bolt on attachment for the belts? Alternatively, is there a special mount for connecting the bolt end to a harness bar? Thanks.
So.Cal.914
I have seen them bolted thru the fire wall, just make sure that the belt is not below the sholders.
Joe Ricard
Bolt in is probably safer as far as holding you in the car. Bolting the shoulder straps even with the holes in your seat is about as best as you can get.

Howerever the Sparcos will be too high is most cases unless you fab up some way to mount the seats lower.

I did modify some stuff but I would not advise it, so I won't tell you. Welcome to Street prepared.
SirAndy
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Aug 1 2007, 10:39 AM) *

I have seen them bolted thru the fire wall, just make sure that the belt is not below the sholders.

agree.gif

bolt through the firewall is not a problem as long as the bolts are in the right place.
you don't want them much lower than your shoulders.

if they're level with your shoulders, there's no way of compressing the spine ...
bye1.gif Andy

PS: if the seats are too high, mount them directly to the floor.
Joe Ricard
If you mount a Sparco to the floor the front cross brace is in the way unless you take off the sliders and then the seat better be EXACTLY where you want it and are the only driver.

Wife will be co-driving with me soon so sliders are required.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Aug 1 2007, 11:21 AM) *

If you mount a Sparco to the floor the front cross brace is in the way unless you take off the sliders and then the seat better be EXACTLY where you want it and are the only driver.

since when does that slow us down? blowtorch.gif

i know the cross-brace is in the way for certain seats. easy fix, get a plasma cutter and cut out the brace about 1/4" above the floorpan.
clean the inside with ospho (or similar product), cut off top of crossbrace and weld it back on.
add a similar brace (about 1/4" high) to the rear and voila! you got yourself a nice front and rear support for your seat.

smilie_pokal.gif Andy
Chuck
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 1 2007, 11:50 AM) *

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Aug 1 2007, 11:21 AM) *

since when does that slow us down? blowtorch.gif

i know the cross-brace is in the way for certain seats. easy fix, get a plasma cutter and cut out the brace about 1/4" above the floorpan.
clean the inside with ospho (or similar product), cut off top of crossbrace and weld it back on.
add a similar brace (about 1/4" high) to the rear and voila! you got yourself a nice front and rear support for your seat.

smilie_pokal.gif Andy

The crossbrace will probably be in the way with these seats. In addition, I MAY let my wife drive it when it is done so sliders will be nice. Also, the cross brace in my car is pretty rusted and in need of replacement along with the floorpan so some sawzall-smiley.gif and welder.gif will be required either way. Funny thing is, the brace is actually in worse shape than the floorpan. I think the tar kept my pan pretty well protected from the leaking rear window. Previous owner confused24.gif
Dave_Darling
Another option would be to use a harness bar as a "guide bar". Bolt the belts to the firewall, but pass them over the bar on the way to your shoulders. That's the way other, "lesser" cars (like those with their engines in the front or the rear) are set up.

--DD
Joe Ricard
I am using the Harnes bar in my car. I don't like it at all. Got a roll bar hoop being made and I will put the cross bar exactly where I want it.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 1 2007, 07:20 PM) *

Another option would be to use a harness bar as a "guide bar". Bolt the belts to the firewall, but pass them over the bar on the way to your shoulders. That's the way other, "lesser" cars (like those with their engines in the front or the rear) are set up.

--DD

agree.gif That's what I did and it works fine. Last year I didn't have the harness bar and I felt that I had the holes a little to low. Now with harness bar I don't feel like my shoulders are being crushed. Works great for AXing.

YMMV
driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.