Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flat towing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
Cleaning out my garage (shut up Rob). Found my nearly new VW tow bar.

Objective is to flat tow the car to events so the wife can come along and co-drive. Where have those that have done this attached the mounting to the car.

This has to be quick and easy to disconnect, light wieght and NOT UGLY.

What was on the VW was a square shaped clevis that surrounded the tube that had a through bolt going through it. Probably do something in the spot where the driving lights used to be. Just want to make sure there is enough structure for pulling and braking.
BigDBass
I think the definitive solution is DLee's tow bar brackets. Look in the member vendors' area. He is dealing with some health issues at the moment, so it might not be a fast implementation.

Edit: Link to tow bar brackets.
Joe Ricard
Cool but not what I am looking for.
Needs to be A LOT lighter. and I do not want to have to take off the whole front end of my car. Air Dam and splitter.
The part that stays on the car must be less than 5 pounds total. Maybe more if it is really slick to attach.
URY914
I used to take off my frt bumper and bolt on a bracket for my tow bar. I used a Super Beatle tow bar. It was different than a early bug bar. I still have it somewhere.
Joe Ricard
OK well this used to tow a 74 super so yea that's the one. It is just a matter of opening up my mad bag of fabrication skills and make something.
Allan
I've seen someone, Howie IIRC, mount brackets inside the fog light grills.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Headrage @ Aug 1 2007, 03:08 PM) *

I've seen someone, Howie IIRC, mount brackets inside the fog light grills.

and used a draw tite or reese towbar
Carlitos Way
Yup, that would be Howie
watsonrx13
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Aug 1 2007, 03:28 PM) *

Cleaning out my garage (shut up Rob). Found my nearly new VW tow bar.

I guess this is the LOST garage..... laugh.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif smoke.gif thumb3d.gif w00t.gif cool.gif

-- Rob
Joe Ricard
Yea Rob This would be the garage KEEPER of all sacred 914 parts. It now echos with emptyness.
I am now shopping for a new garage with ahouse attached to it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.