Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door Lock Problems on a 1973 914...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kfieler
I am experiencing door lock problems on a 1973 914.

On both the driver's and passenger's doors, I can lock the doors (from the outside of the vehicle) using the key. However, when I try to unlock the doors - using the key - I encounter so much resistance that I am afraid of breaking the key off in the locks. sad.gif

If I attempt to unlock the doors with the key while gently pulling on the INTERNAL door lock, I can feel that the key is attempting to unlock the door. This, and the fact that the key will lock the doors, leads me to believe that I have the correct key for this vehicle.

Assuming that I do have the correct key for this car (the car is new to me and this is the key given to me by the PO)...

Is this a common problem and what steps should I take to troubleshoot and repair this problem?

Should I start removing the door panels or is this something that can be cleaned / adjusted (FIXED) without a tear-down?

Thanks for helping a "newbie"!

- Keith
dr914@autoatlanta.com
typical clean the catching mechanism inside the door so it slides easily up and down You can read the procedure in the "Tech Tips 700" by Dr. 914
Joe Ricard
Yep yank the door panel off and remove the latch mechanism. wash rinse and repeat till all the crud is gone and things start moving easily. then LIGHTLY lubricate and reassemble.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.