Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning Tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
Well, like it says. got primer over spray on the decent roller tires I have; they will be promoted to driver tires once the car is off its stands.

What's the best cleaner? Paint thinner? Acetone?
r_towle
type of paint needs to be part of the question.

Rattle can primer...goof off.
Two part epoxy primer...sandpaper
Two part acrylic enamel primer....sandpaper

Rich
scotty b
Go to the local paint supplier and drop $25.00 for a set of wheel covers dry.gif As for removing the pain tyou can try laquer thinner and a scotch brite pad.
scotty b
Remember kids overspray gets EVERYWHERE !!!!
skline
Scotty is right, I would have said steel wool and thinner but a scotchbrite pad will work almost as well, the steel wool will conform more to the tire than a flat pad.
black73
Spray the overspray with flat black or black primer. cool_shades.gif
Pat Garvey
Please! Stay away from acetone! Never ever use it!

Trust me, I worked with this stuff for years. It's explosive, carcinogenic, and just plain bad for the environment when set loose (no, I'm not a tree hugger - this is really BAD stuff).

How about trying this....Mr. Clean double strength Magic Eraser. Not nearly as abrasive to the tire as steel wool/SOS, yet it WILL take the crap off. Follow directions.
Pat
SGB
Primer should deteriorate pretty rapidly- especialy when undergoing constant deformation. Let it sit until time to be driven, then remount with it reversed on the wheel. you may have to do all four to match properly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.