Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift rod separation at tranny
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jaybird840
Replacing the NONEXISTENT shifter bushings in my '75 teener and have read and re-read the Pelican article. I have removed the rear tapered screw but was unsuccessful in removing the shift head from the shifter bar in the rear. I wanted to check here before I moved to a bit more persuasion. If they put a cone screw there, I assume that means it separates.... Should just tap off the end of the shift rod with the cone screw removed, right?
--Jaybird
Click to view attachment
r_towle
Take the screw out of the part that is on the shifter rod itself.
Then I use a flat punch, or a small hammer and tap it off the end of the bar. Shift the car so its in neutral, you need to move the rod as you seperate it from the rod.
Do not put strain against the rod going into the tranny...it does fit, it will come off, and then clean it.

Rich
swl
btdt recently. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=72509
Joe Ricard
Could be buggered up from a past removal.
Push it further on and examine the end of the rod. If need be you can use a file to dress up the end.
jaybird840
Well, that wasn't so bad.... It actually slid right off with a few light strokes with a hammer. I can't believe it--I actually had NO bushings left anywhere. Firewall bushing.... gone. Ball cup bushing... gone. Coupler bushings? Came tumbling down when I removed the rubber boot. They're all refreshed now, tho.

One last question. I haven't had a chance to drive it yet, but I jumped in last night expecting to feel buttery-smooth shifting, and the shifter seems to be binding up pretty good. I'm certain I got the ball cup bushing seated properly (after not having seated it properly three times) and the coupler was smooth as silk. Any thoughts? headbang.gif

--Jay
Joe Ricard
Did ya lube it?

If it feels like it is binding you may have trouble getting into some gears which will require you to adjust the shifter on the front section of the front rod. Remember to only move the coupler one spline at a time and they are very fine splines.
Bartlett 914
Can you change gears at the transmission by hand (with the shifter disconnected) easily? If the gears are easily selectable there then maybe the shifter rod is bent.

Edit
How it the shift coupler between the front and rear rods?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.