Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 40 IDF linkage ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
topatrout914
I have just got a used pair of Weber 40 IDF w/ CB linkage to replace the 34 ICT and crap linkage the PO had installed. The 34 ICTs were set up with the linkage in the back. I have the 40s with linkage properly in the front but I need some ideas on how the throttle cable should be hooked up.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Thanks in advance for the advice!!
topatrout914
QUOTE(topatrout914 @ Aug 1 2007, 10:17 PM) *

I have just got a used pair of Weber 40 IDF w/ CB linkage to replace the 34 ICT and crap linkage the PO had installed. The 34 ICTs were set up with the linkage in the back. I have the 40s with linkage properly in the front but I need some ideas on how the throttle cable should be hooked up.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Thanks in advance for the advice!!

To clarify; where do you have the cable attached to the engine and what angle does it pull from or to?
r_towle
you need to make a bracket the hold the end of the cable.
The bracket gets attached to the fan shroud, dead center, and the cable is aimed at the rear of the car.

Someone will post a pic, or use search.

Rich
topatrout914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 1 2007, 10:28 PM) *

you need to make a bracket the hold the end of the cable.
The bracket gets attached to the fan shroud, dead center, and the cable is aimed at the rear of the car.

Someone will post a pic, or use search.

Rich

I used the search but I didn't find what I was looking for. My existing cable seems a bit long and I can certainly fab a bracket but I know this is a common addition. I am just trying not to reinvent the wheel!! smash.gif beer3.gif
r_towle

Try this in the search window
+carb +linkage

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=66818&hl=

Several pics in that thread.

Happy reading

Rich
topatrout914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 1 2007, 10:43 PM) *

Try this in the search window
+carb +linkage

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=66818&hl=

Several pics in that thread.

Happy reading

Rich

Thanks Rich!! The pic in Aarons post was what I was after. I had searched several times but I didn't choose the correct "wording". Aaron if you read this how about an after pic when the fuel & ignition are hooked up?
Grimstead
It's not the best picture (it was taken for the Mallory setup) but you can see how we mounted the cable for my CB linkage.

I hope this helps...
topatrout914
QUOTE(Grimstead @ Aug 1 2007, 11:03 PM) *

It's not the best picture (it was taken for the Mallory setup) but you can see how we mounted the cable for my CB linkage.

I hope this helps...

Great close up Grimstead! Where do you have the crankcase breather hose connected to?
Grimstead
IPB Image IPB Image
SGB
I've got mine set up a little differently- with bent piece of steel attached at the back like Grims and a stiff rubber piece down at the base attached to the cranckcase. The breather box is in the same location too.
I see now that my carbs are reversed from these, though. hmmm
SGB
Breather setup...
RohJay
...and the Breather Box outlet goes to???

Just got in to Webers myself.
Was not aware of the Breather Box requirement .
Any recommendations whom to buy from?
Kargeek
It's simplier to set up the arms pointing to the rear. Here's a photo of my set up.

URY914
QUOTE(Kargeek @ Aug 1 2007, 09:15 PM) *

It's simplier to set up the arms pointing to the rear. Here's a photo of my set up.

Maybe. I found my linkage arms hit the rear trunk lid springs but I have tall manifolds which caused this. I cut the springs out.
rhodyguy
this works well for me.

k
RohJay
QUOTE(Kargeek @ Aug 2 2007, 10:45 AM) *

Looks like you've avoided the Throttle Cable Arm altogether, and connected the cable directly to the RH side Linkage Arm?
Could this cause an imbalance; ie. additional, un wanted stress on the RH Carb ?
URY914
What type of linkage do you have?
rhodyguy
no on the avoidance. you just can't clearly see all of the attachment points in his picture. i'm not a big fan of the linkage on the rear of the carbs. works swell for some folks i guess. not enough room for me.

k
SGB
With tall manifolds (really needed IMHO), it does get really crowded with the trunk torsion spring when using the rear facing setup like I have. One VERY important lesson I've learned is that the little hex screws on the linkage pieces are NOT adequate to keep the arms from moving around- or even coming off entirely. I ended up drilling into the hex rod and tapping for a real bolt that screws through the arm and into the cross bar so there is no wiggle movement any more.
topatrout914
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
These are the before pictures with the 34ICTs. Should the breather box be connected to the intake somwhere to provide positive venting for the crankcase? And yes the giant Accel coil the PO had on there interferes with the likage on the 40IDFs.
Kargeek
I don't have trunk springs on my car so no interference with my linkage arms. The linkage arm for the throttle cable is slid to one side and I made a simple bracket that attaches to the right side carb mounting bolts. I have been running it this way for 18 years. CB hex bar type linkage.

There is no vacuum port for a PVC connection with these carbs so, you are just venting from the breather box to the air cleaner. Not much else you can do.
jwalters
QUOTE(Kargeek @ Aug 2 2007, 11:40 AM) *

I don't have trunk springs on my car so no interference with my linkage arms. The linkage arm for the throttle cable is slid to one side and I made a simple bracket that attaches to the right side carb mounting bolts. I have been running it this way for 18 years. CB hex bar type linkage.

There is no vacuum port for a PVC connection with these carbs so, you are just venting from the breather box to the air cleaner. Not much else you can do.

Tried to post this awhile ago - but the post went into the nether world I guess...

Second attempt:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.