Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CIS into a TIV, trying to gather info
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
newto914s
I'm thinking down the road this would be a simple and effective swap. I've read a lot of folks are happy with the results, but don't provide too much info on how they did the job. So that's what I'm looking for. Pics would be great and any insight into what some of the hurdles were. also which cars are best to pull the systems from, rabbits, Volvos, jettas would be great.
This is what I have so-far aircooledtech, Gary Miller, and EvilEd.
Thanks
Samson
904svo
I'm also planning to add CIS to my car, so far this is what I plan to use

CIS-E from 87'-90' Fox, Mid-Late 80's Audi 4000 or 16 Valve Golf. The reason is

that they use a Aluminium Fuel Distributor with Differentail Pressure Regulator,

Simple Computer with a 3 wire Qxygen Sensor.

You can also check out Dune-Buggy.com for more info on CIS injection.
McMark
The physical design of the CIS airflow vane is closely related to the VE of a motor. Designing a motor to match the VE plot of the donor motor would give you the best results. Redesigning the airflow vane is impractical.

I love CIS, but it's my opinion that it's not very adaptable to other motors and that your time and effort would be better spent tuning an electronic FI system.

Have fun and good luck! thumb3d.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 2 2007, 04:55 PM) *

The physical design of the CIS airflow vane is closely related to the VE of a motor. Designing a motor to match the VE plot of the donor motor would give you the best results. Redesigning the airflow vane is impractical.

I love CIS, but it's my opinion that it's not very adaptable to other motors and that your time and effort would be better spent tuning an electronic FI system.

Have fun and good luck! thumb3d.gif

agree.gif I spent years trying to adapt other injection systems to Datsun Z cars. I consider it time wasted. These systems are not flexible enough to be "fooled" and you would be far better served to put your money and effort into a programmable system. I even had a web site called PlanetZ that outlined how to adapt a Turbo Z L Jetronic system to a NA Datsun Z. It never works everywhere in the RPM range. Driveability suffers.
ejm
I'm running CIS-E on my '74 turbo. System was adapted from a 2.5L 5cyl VW Quantum and uses a heated O2 sensor and idle stabilzer valve. Engine starts instantly hot or cold and idles rock steady. Transition and power are smooth from any rpm. Check the link in my sig for some pics.
Dr Evil
Ed, you never cease to impress and amaze me thumb3d.gif

I have heard that your turbo car is exactly how it is supposed to be; quick, reliable, etc. Jim was impressed biggrin.gif
andys
I'd prefer to hear more opinions from those like Ed who have adapted it successfully.

Andys
newto914s
agree.gif
Jake Raby
I did it for the first time in 1997...

I did this set up in 2000 on my company Bus with stroker TIV power. The last time I adjusted or serviced the CIS was also in 2000.

IPB Image
IPB Image

Watch camshaft duration, CIS doesn't like the stock cam at all and it also doesn't like any cam with much overlap at all.

I have built about 20 CIS injected engines, all for VW Buses and most of the time I could do the swap for less than 300 bucks in junkyard and new parts.

The engine I pictured is being Turboed over the winter the CIS arrangement will be retained.
davep
I understand that CIS likes a very smooth airflow to work correctly. That is why the cam has to be very mild. A turbo would also tend to smooth out the airflow, so that is an option. Generally, power/performance with CIS comes from displacement and/or a turbo.
newto914s
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 3 2007, 04:25 AM) *

I have built about 20 CIS injected engines, all for VW Buses and most of the time I could do the swap for less than 300 bucks in junkyard and new parts.

Please Jake some more info if you will. Which Junk cars do you like to pull parts from?
It looks like you used the stock Bus Throttle body and intake runners, did you just weld a mount for the CIS injectors on them?
A write up of the swap would be sweat, maybe over on your Forums. I'd be all over that.
Mueller
I have 2 complete n/a CIS systems for a '78/'79 2.1 Volvo 4 banger...free, just pay shipping !!!

I also have one for a Turbo Volvo, but I'm not going to give that one away smile.gif

914werke
so outside of the "reliability" factor is there any performance or tune-ability to be gained? if the stock cam dont work the only application is if your doing a complete rebuild anyway?
Twystd1
You might want to go over to the "Shop Talk Forums" and look in the
"TYPE 4rum" articles. Ray Greenwood and Piledriver as well as some others can show you how to tweak the CIS system adnauseum specific to the TYPE IV engine.

STF Linky

Try the search function. Theres lotsa reading to do over there.
Just thought I would throw out an additional option for you.

Cheers,

Clayton

newto914s
Thanks Twystd1,
I did search over there before posting this thread, and did find some use full info. I thought some of the folks over here might be willing to give a short step-bystep on how they did it in a teener.

QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Aug 3 2007, 02:01 PM) *

You might want to go over to the "Shop Talk Forums" and look in the
"TYPE 4rum" articles. Ray Greenwood and Piledriver as well as some others can show you how to tweak the CIS system adnauseum specific to the TYPE IV engine.

STF Linky

Try the search function. Theres lotsa reading to do over there.
Just thought I would throw out an additional option for you.

Cheers,

Clayton

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.