Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone weld on their flares from the group buy?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MrKona
Hello everyone,

I was re-reading the flare installation article in the Sept '07 Excellence, and it reminded me that there were a lot of flares sold as part of the AA group buy a couple months back.

I haven't seen any in the classifieds yet. biggrin.gif

Anyone weld their's on yet? I'm just curious to hear about your impressions, trials, and tribulations. Also, was this your first installation or are you a pro at this stuff.

If you haven't welded them on yet, what's your plan, keeping them in storage for when the day finally comes? Will you attempt it yourself or source it out?
Grelber
Do a search, as there's been a couple of excellent threads on the install.
MrKona
QUOTE(Grelber @ Aug 2 2007, 07:45 PM) *

Yup, done the search, a lot of great information out there. I guess I'm just more curious to hear what happened to all the flares that were just recently purchased in the group buy. People's current or future projects with the flares. Haven't seen any threads or discussions on any of the sets since sold... Which seems strange for this crowd.
jim912928
I bought mine and tucked them away in the basement. Plan is to have them professionally installed this winter or next.

nomore9one4
QUOTE(MrKona @ Aug 2 2007, 06:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Grelber @ Aug 2 2007, 07:45 PM) *

Yup, done the search, a lot of great information out there. I guess I'm just more curious to hear what happened to all the flares that were just recently purchased in the group buy. People's current or future projects with the flares. Haven't seen any threads or discussions on any of the sets since sold... Which seems strange for this crowd.

Actually there have been several threads. Check with Ron S. he had quit the project go in on. sawzall-smiley.gif
rfuerst911sc
I've completed welding all 4 on my car. All went well and they fit fine. I have never done this before but it's not too bad, a little nerve racking when you start making that first cut.
RON S.

Done completed mine. sawzall-smiley.gif sawed welder.gif welded,widened the rears,and finished painting practically the whole car.

Took me about 4 months to complete.

good luck on yours.Once you start,keep pushing yourself to finish it. biggrin.gif

Ron
roadster fan
does this count? If I cranked down on the clamps I could drive it like this for awhile..............oh, except for the 3.2 that isnt installed dry.gif

Click to view attachment
pete-stevers
secretly.....er not so secretively now....
i have been waiting for some to show up in the classifieds.....
nomore9one4
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Aug 3 2007, 12:45 PM) *

secretly.....er not so secretively now....
i have been waiting for some to show up in the classifieds.....

Mine may end up there. I can not commit to cutting off the fiberglass ones.It just took so damn long to do.
ConeDodger
Mine were bought for future project use... I suspect this winter or next. sawzall-smiley.gif I just got the RSR finish Fuchs from Harvey Weidman that go with them though. biggrin.gif
BIGKAT_83
I had mine listed in the classifieds a month or so ago and got no response. Was asking what I payed for them on the group buy.

Bob
dgw
I'll have mine professionally installed if I do it. I don't know how to weld, have no equipment, and have no desire to learn. I've talked to a few folks who say it can be a problem to get them setup so they don't look funny when you are done. It probably takes a lot of patience i would not have to do it right.

I got an over the phone estimate of $600 a corner plus paint and any required body work.
burton73
I have been out of the country for two weeks. Three of the four are welded on and ground in side and out side. It takes a great deal of massaging at the base of each fender to get them just right. A person could just slap them on and from 6 feet and standing up they would look OK but they need very close attention to look like they are a factory fit parts at the bases. We have blended the bases with the same edge the factory has in the door and the fender. In this way the gap should look just right.

In the end my set will cost a lot to install but they will look great. I have said it so when you see it on 914-6 #41 you tell me. No pictures yet. I see the guys saying George is selling sets as a group buy now for $650. Plus shipping. Great deal. Better than we got by $100. If that is true.

I got a perfect fit rear valance from Marty. I am now trying Getty rockers and front valance. I was unhappy with the other brand I bought. All parts must be hand fit and this takes lots of time. Working on a rack helps out and having the pro body shop next door do the work but I still am looking over all the work every day. This is not an easy job if you do not have the right equipment.

Bob Burton
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.