Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brakes - inner adjuster won't adjust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
swl
This was supposed to be a quick brake pad replacement. Ha! is anything ever quick with me headbang.gif

The caliper was leaking but no problem I had a spare rebuilt and ready to go. Retracted the pistons all the way to allow for the new pad thickness. Now when I go to push the pistons back out the adjuster won't grab. Occassionally I can feel it trying but it just jumps without moving the piston. I have the old one here so I can test and make sure i'm turning it the right way and compare the effort required ...

I've tried:

hooking it up bleeding the brakes and trying to get hydraulics to move the piston - no joy.

operated the handbrake - no joy.

Smacked it with a hammer - made me feel better but no joy.

Tried cursing, pleading conjoling - damned thing wouldn't listen.

Tech Tips 700 says
"When adjusting the inner piston, if the piston will not adjust, the adjusting spring clip isn't in place in the caliper. Push in on the piston while adjusting the caliper outward (clockwise turning motion"

I tried that using a C clamp to provide the pressure. Still no joy.

Any advice?
swl
never mind. Did the squeeze and screw one more time and this time JFM happened. On to venting and bleeding.
Cap'n Krusty
I have a question. Did you push the pistons back while turning the screws, or simply try to pull them with the screws? NEVER retract the pistons in this type of rear caliper using just the screw! EVER! The Cap'n
rhodyguy
you mean as is NEVER... EVER!!!!?

k
swl
That could have been the problem.
highways
Is that why my inner parking brake pad on one side is not actuating?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(highways @ Aug 3 2007, 07:21 PM) *

Is that why my inner parking brake pad on one side is not actuating?

Pretty likely ...................... The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.