Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SW OHIO windshield trim help please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dflesburg
Anyone near S. Dayton that can get Windshield trim to go on...

I could use some help.

Thanks.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Aug 3 2007, 12:26 PM) *

Anyone near S. Dayton that can get Windshield trim to go on...

I could use some help.

Thanks.

the problem with used is that it is usually bent where it clips in and because of that needs some glue to supplement the hold! If you were here we would give you a used set for free! (you could wander back in the back and pick the best set!!)
John
George is probably right. If you could take some pictures of the BACK of the trim, I may be able to help you figure out how to get yours to clip in.

Is the problem that your trim does not snap in and hold onto the clips?

Can you feel the trim start under the clips?

If you had a spare clip, you could hold it next to the back of the trim and figure out how it fits in there when the trim is in there. (maybe this might help).

Just drive it over here and I'll put it in for you.
dflesburg
Two of my three pieces are new.
The lower is used and it seems to be the piece that wants to go in the best.

dflesburg
What kind of glue?
flesburg
Does it press in tight and then pop back out or does it seem too tight and not want to go in at all? They are very tight, and require considerable pressure in the area right over the clip. It might help to put a little white grease on the top surface of the clip and the bottom edge of the trim.

As John said take some pictures. If the new trim pieces do not want to go into place at all, it is because they are new and press in very hard. Be awfully careful, as you can crack a windshield if you try to hammer the trim in place. Ask me how I know. Are your clips installed properly? The beveled edge should be up, and it helps direct the aluminum trim under the clip. I hope so, because you will have a heck of a time getting them out and replacing with new ones.

I would not use glue, I would place a piece of towel over the trim right over each clip and using both thumbs, press down with considerable pressure in the area right over the clip. When they do snap in place you will hear it go into the clip.
Tobra
How best top remove the trim to not damage it, besides carefully?
John
QUOTE(Tobra @ Aug 4 2007, 02:50 PM) *

How best top remove the trim to not damage it, besides carefully?

Using a trim removal tool is the best way.

They are inserted under the trim and hook onto the clip which can be pulled out slightly releasing the trim. The other method is to insert the tool near the clip and slightly pry up on the trim which pops the trim out from the clip. (this can damage the trim if not done carefully).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.