Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just saw Jake on TV
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spare time toys
Speed was running the Blow it up series back to back. I recorded the one with Jake in it. beerchug.gif
914werke
I saw it as well. Spyder got smoked. Married life must be good to him,
looks like hes eating well biggrin.gif
Jerry
Hey, you know TV always makes you appear 10 pounds more heavy!!!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Aug 3 2007, 09:38 PM) *

Jake never made claim to being pretty... biggrin.gif
newto914s
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 4 2007, 09:03 AM) *

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Aug 3 2007, 09:38 PM) *

Jake never made claim to being pretty... biggrin.gif

poke.gif That's harsh

spare time toys is their any chance you could up load it, or youtube it.
spare time toys
I would if I could. its on a FIOS box and I dont know how to get it from there to here. confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(spare time toys @ Aug 5 2007, 04:51 AM) *

I would if I could. its on a FIOS box and I dont know how to get it from there to here. confused24.gif

looks like you might be out of luck ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_FiOS

dry.gif Andy
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Jerry @ Aug 4 2007, 01:35 AM) *

Hey, you know TV always makes you appear 10 pounds more heavy!!!

Then it must have been Hi Def cause it lookes more like 20 lbs. biggrin.gif
nebreitling
is it just me, or does rich christensen seem really, really... well, gay?
Jake Raby
Yeah, I look HUGE on the show but I really am not that big! I believe it was the shirt they gave me at the event..
Here I am suiting up and see I look 30-40 pounds lighter than on TV....

I only weigh 185 :-) (Yes my wife is a southern girl and can cook like mad!)

IPB Image

No excuse for our crappy performance that day- It was poor preparation (built the car in 3 weeks start to finish) and a driver that had NEVER driven the car before he put it on the dragstrip that hurt us the most.

........And the ever changing rules that were occuring right up to the time the film started rolling.

Don't EVER be stupid enough to volunteer to be on TV. Spare time, think you could burn me a copy of the show?? I didn't even record it and honestly wasn't even going to watch it!

jhadler
I saw it too. My wife was just browsing channels when we came across it. Quite literally as the episode with Jake was starting. I said "That's it!!". And she said, as she continued to surf past "what??"...

Didn't record it unfortunately, but it was cool to see ya there Jake! Sorry the spyder didn't fare as well everyone here had hoped.

As for the show itself? Well, I can't say I'm likely to watch it again. No discussion as to what the heck was going on. I'm sure if they had bothered to explain it to the viewing audience, it might have made more sense. But as it was? It looked like some homemade youtube video with a big budget...

-Josh2
Brian Mifsud
I watched that "Blow it Up" last night, but not "Jake" episode. A red Camaro with 400+ cubic inch smallblock ran 12 passes and they couldn't blow it up. It finally overheated after they shut the engine down after the very stoutly built combo "beat" the blow it up crew.

The "backstory" was that the shop owner couldn't get a car together by show time, so he supposedly borrowed a customer's ride the day before with the promise that they would replace anything they damaged.

If any of that was true, I'd say that is a pretty high benchmark for any engine shop to try and meet.
spare time toys
Don't EVER be stupid enough to volunteer to be on TV. Spare time, think you could burn me a copy of the show?? I didn't even record it and honestly wasn't even going to watch it!
[/quote]

Ill dig out the VCR and run the FIOS box output to it and see if I can. It may be this weekend before I can find the VCR. beerchug.gif
thomasotten
I recorded it on the digital video recorder. I can make DVDs if anyone is interested. Should I upload an AVI somewhere as well?
Lavanaut
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Aug 6 2007, 12:16 PM) *

Should I upload an AVI somewhere as well?

That would be sweet! chowtime.gif
Jake Raby
Don't upload the files.. The producers of the show have already promised to prosecute anyone posting them without written permission.

Let's just say that behind the scenes of these shows is much more dramaitic than the actual show.

The day before the event was taped we had all our shit packed up, car loaded and ready to pull chocks and head back 1100+ miles to Georgia. The only reason I didn't was because of my sponsors and my commitments to them. in hindsight I wish I would have.
byndbad914
QUOTE(jhadler @ Aug 6 2007, 09:54 AM) *

As for the show itself? Well, I can't say I'm likely to watch it again. No discussion as to what the heck was going on. I'm sure if they had bothered to explain it to the viewing audience, it might have made more sense. But as it was? It looked like some homemade youtube video with a big budget...

-Josh2

I have to agree with you Josh - I saw the show a few weeks back on Speed and I didn't see the very beginning, so maybe they explained what was going on then, but I had no idea what the actual point of the show was.

is it just me, or does rich christensen seem really, really... well, gay?

I am horrible with names, but if that is the announcer dude that was clearly in love with the driver of the beetle, they may want pitch that show to Bravo channel grouphug.gif

Ranks right up there with as gay as that dude from "Pinks" is. I figured he got the name for the show from his gang of butt racer buddies.

Let's just say that behind the scenes of these shows is much more dramaitic than the actual show.

The day before the event was taped we had all our shit packed up, car loaded and ready to pull chocks and head back 1100+ miles to Georgia. The only reason I didn't was because of my sponsors and my commitments to them. in hindsight I wish I would have.?

Jake - I agree with you about the TV thing. At the shop I was at a few years back we were constantly approached by TV stuff wanting (of course) free stuff in return for "all the publicity". We donated a short block to Hot Rod TV and they put a shit-a$$ Edelbrock Performer cam and heads on it and dyno'd it at a completely disrespecatble HP, showed the dyno session on TV and then said the name of our shop. That was NOT the publicity we wanted. We could have gotten completely F'd up and made more power smoke.gif

Then donated an engine to Overhaulin' early on in its run. Full engine, Troy got maybe 30 seconds of publicity when he fired it up with one of his T-shirts on to advertise the shop name. Now that show is clearly sponsor driven as they use the same junk over and over again, but back in the first year of that show it was all donated by individuals and we got virtually nothing out of it. Waste of $5K our cost on that engine IMO.

Sorry it went so crappy for you, but that seems to be how it works wacko.gif
Jake Raby
And I was "warned" up fromnt by many people but was still stupid enough to do it...

Biggest mistake I have made in many years..........
grantsfo
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 6 2007, 03:13 PM)

And I was "warned" up front by many people, but was still stupid enough to do it...

Biggest mistake I have made in many years..........

Ego has a funny way clouding ones judgment I hear. biggrin.gif

I gave up on my TV career long ago because I was sure I'd look like a Sumo wrestler with that extra 40 lbs of TV weight.

Joe Ricard
Show is pretty weak. I hope it does not make the cut and become a real series.

I watched one of the 1st ones when it aired. what was the point of running the car that survived the longest for additional passes? then doing big smokey burn outs till the tires gave up and then counting the win to the (what's his name drag racer guy)?
eric914
Jake

Does your radio show fall into the same bucket as TV? I have enjoyed the radio program very much but see it has been canceled. sad.gif What up? confused24.gif
Jake Raby
Yes, the 4th dimension has been canceled and yes, it was a byproduct of the things we experienced at the TV show taping- it was my call to pull the plug. That is all I can say about the subject in public.

The show has/had the chance to be very entertaining- if it would have just had some organization and some producers that had a clue....

spunone
Heh Jake I have an Idea why don't you have a show where the tv guys come to you to build a car. And we'll call the show JUST BLOW ME lol what ya think av-943.gif
Jake Raby
Just call the show "clusterfuck"............
scotty b
Blow it up is weak yes but that OTHER POS "game show" (name that tuner or something gay like that) they had on before it mad me want to chuck the T.V out the window. What a rediculous premise, and then to put " The Big Fa........errr Schwag" on it icon8.gif These pseudo "car guy" show are the biggest insult to those of us who do this for a living. The ONLY one that was werth a damn was "Build Or Bust" and it apparrently was cancelled. dry.gif
spare time toys
[quote name='spare time toys' date='Aug 6 2007, 01:22 PM' post='932185']
[/quote]

Ill dig out the VCR and run the FIOS box output to it and see if I can. It may be this weekend before I can find the VCR. beerchug.gif
[/quote]

Well I checked my hook ups last night and I can not hook a HD Fois box into my ols school VCR mad.gif Sorry bout that headbang.gif
thomasotten
I don't have it on video either...I checked the tape and it stopped recording before it started?! Will it be on again, if so I will tape it/DVD it.
byndbad914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 6 2007, 06:20 PM) *

... and then to put " The Big Fa........errr Schwag" on it icon8.gif These pseudo "car guy" show are the biggest insult to those of us who do this for a living...

agree.gif There are too many shows hosted by some tool that thinks they are a car guy. And producers went to college to learn film, not cars, so they believe them to actually know something because they recognize the word "alternator". Goldberg too, come on. Car guy my arse. A "car guy" to me is someone who actually is into cars enough to work on them and so forth - enjoys the idea of restoring/racing/fixing the car more than just the car itself.

He is a dude that likes Mopars - and that is it. He knows absolutely nothing about cars other than how to pay someone to build it and turn the key. Same with the dude on Overhaulin' that owns a bar now; just a dude that likes Mopars. Any knowledge he has now is from helping on the show at best, but he didn't have it at the beginning of the show. I lose interest in all of those shows for that reason.

I liked that show Extreme 4x4 for instance because even tho' they did some stuff I felt was a bit screwy, they actually worked on the design of the project and the project itself. I don't get it on Spike with DTv tho' so no more of that sad.gif
Jake Raby
Yeah... When the producers of a drag race show can't smell the difference in pump and race gas or don't know what an engine equipped with a rev limiter sounds like its pretty sad that they can even get a show to TV.

My wife is an accountant- she can smell race gas a mile away and knew what a rev limiter sounded like before we ever met!!!

I could tell you guys stories that you simply would not believe- but they haven't pissed me off that bad- yet.
scotty b
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Aug 7 2007, 06:07 PM) *

I could tell you guys stories that you simply would not believe- but they haven't pissed me off that bad- yet.

What can WE do to help them piss you off that much ??? stirthepot.gif happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.