Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DIY Shock replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rav914
My '74 914 has the original shocks (and springs) all the way around and they really need to be replaced. I float and bob coming to a stop and especially when going around a corner.

I've called twice to a reputable shop south of me known for setting up Porsche's. Plus sent an e-mail to an employee I was deferred to. No answer. OK, they don't want my $

So I figure I'll do it myself. But I've never done this type of job and haven't dealt with springs before. Is this doable or should I press with taking it to a shop?

Thanks,

(By the way, I've got pretty good mechanical skills and plenty of tools)
URY914
Its about a 5 out of 10 on the difficutly scale. Plenty of people here have done and can help you with any questions.

GO FOR IT! biggrin.gif
914nerd
No problem
The rears are pretty easy. Pull the bolt connecting it to the trailing arm and undo the nut on top and it's off.
The fronts take a little more time, but still aren't too bad.
Do it all yourself and save the money (or spend it on parts)
biggrin.gif
Chris Pincetich
I did mine, no problems...actually the rear didn't seat perfect at first and the ride height was off by 1/4 " so I loosended it then grabbed the shock and muscled it in better for a perfect fit.

Rears need a 19mm and 27mm open end wrench for big bolt and NO spring compressor needed. KONI yellows might not fit some springs, Bilsteins fit all.

Fronts I did VERY CAREFULLY w/o removing brake...the front caliper fluid hose is just barely long enough to allow the strut housing to bend out and insert the new, compressed shock... if you *search* using the link on the upper right there are good write ups on this with photos. Just a 19mm open end wrench plus tools to remove front wheels I think.

Good luck! beerchug.gif
Rav914
Perfect! Just the encouragement I needed. I'll check the thread history and start getting everything together. Thanks again.
blitZ
By all means go for it. It's a good starter project and will get you own your way to becoming intimate with you car. wub.gif
Brando
Very doable. From a safety standpoint I suggest renting spring compressors for the rear springs.
BxtrBill

Rears need a 19mm and 27mm open end wrench for big bolt and NO spring compressor needed. KONI yellows might not fit some springs, Bilsteins fit all.

[quote]

Uh....if you have stock springs, you will definitely need a spring compressor unless you are unusually adept at dodging spring-shaped missles caroming off the garage walls. The (usually) stiffer aftermarket springs are shorter and do not require a compressor.....just be careful to get them located correctly on the perches before you set the car back on its wheels.
rhodyguy
if you're still planning, just take the rears to a les scwhab and have them put them in their fancy press to loosen the top nut that retains the upper spring plate. less $$ than renting a set of spring compressors, fast, and completely safe.

k
Rav914

Uh....if you have stock springs, you will definitely need a spring compressor unless you are unusually adept at dodging spring-shaped missles caroming off the garage walls.

Good safety tip biggrin.gif

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 5 2007, 07:40 AM) *

if you're still planning, just take the rears to a les scwhab and have them put them in their fancy press to loosen the top nut that retains the upper spring plate. less $$ than renting a set of spring compressors, fast, and completely safe.

k

I do this after I remove them from the car right? Am I correct in saying the shock absorber and spring are one unit? The spring being compressed and retained on the shock absorber. I'm still a little fuzzy on the anatomy of the whole thing, but I'm getting there. Thanks for the tip.
rhodyguy
the rears come out as complete units. one nut on top, and the nut on the bottom bolt. on jackstands, remove rear tires, slightly compress each side with the floor jack under the rear of the rear control arm, loosen both fasteners, remove the top one, lower, remove bottom, do the other side. call L.S. first and carry them in. if you lived closer i'd run over and give you a hand. if you're stumped, offer a north sound member a bit of gas money and ask for a hand. have you already sourced your replacement items?

k

Rav914
Great info. Thanks. Makes a lot of sense now.

No I haven't sourced everything yet. Pelican has the stock springs and then the racing springs with nothing in between.

Do you have recommendations?
rhodyguy
sending you a pm in a few minutes.

k
Brando
if you don't have a spring compressor... there's always the floorjack method. I would be advised not to do this on more than 200lb springs...

Jack up trailing arm, loosen top nut with impact gun, slowly let the trailing arm down.

Remove shock and spring, install new shock and spring, jack up trailing arm (SLOWLY), align spring in perch as you slowly raise it, get the strut through the top hole, tighten nut on by hand and torque. Let floorjack down and you're done!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.