Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: caliper bolts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
swl
Well I'm out of gas for one day so I thought I'd sit at the 'puter and see if there are any geniuses out there.

The rear caliper bolts don't have enough clearance behind them to get a socket on them (least wise nothing in my tool box works) I got the drivers side off using a 19mm open ended wrench and smacking it with a hammer. Took some work but it eventually let go. Over on the passenger side I'm not having as much luck. Tried making an extention out of steel pipe but that started peeling the shoulders. I'm sure the vibration is the key - I just have to keep hammering away. I sure would like to get a 6 sided tool on it though just to make sure the shoulders don't get any worse.

Any brilliant ideas out there on how to make this easier? Steroids? Hire a kid on steroids?

BTW - the book gives a torque setting for those bolts. How the heck to you torque it if you can't get a socket on it!
JPB
To all things I say PB Blaster and hot wrench if required. Heat up the opposit side you are spraying hoping the oil will chase the heat. beer.gif
swl
thing is that you can't get to the opposite side cause the rotor is there. Heat and lubricant would have to come from the bolt side and get past the brake shield. Not terribly efficient but I may have to give it a try.
Johny Blackstain
Stop using an open end wrench & use a shallow box end wrench... less chance of stripping. Hold it in place w/ one hand & hit it w/ a rubber mallet on the other end. Stopping is # 1 on any car. Don't have one? Go buy one and/or new bolts!
Spoke
I use a 19mm box-open wrench. Open end wrenches only touch 2 sides of the bolt where box wrench will sit on all 6 sides. Put box side on the bolt, open side I interlock another large box wrench (7/8 inch) for leverage. Heave-Ho!
swl
My long 19mm is a combo so I have the box end sitting there. I've always avoided the box end for high torque since they have a reputation as shoulder eaters. I hate to seem dense but what is the significance of a 'shallow' box end.
Johny Blackstain
2 19mm box end wrenches... one deep, one shallow.
swl
Al - got it - thanks.

Spoke - that interleaving of the of the two wrenches pretty much qualifies for genius in my book!
swl
smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif piratenanner.gif

I remember well the wise words of my dear departed daddy - "If that don't work get a bigger hammer."

Soaked it over night in liquid wrench (don't think that helped but it certainly didn't hurt)
Put the box end on her. Grabbed a 4lb maul and beat the crap out of it. Ta-Dah!

I also grabbed a tennis ball cut a slit in it and used it as a handle on the end of the wrench. Easier to get a good grip on it plus it protected my palm from the vibrations as I hit it. Worked well.

Geez - all that work for 2 freaking bolts. No wonder restorations take forever.

BTW - Snap On sells 6 point box wrenches. If you happen to have $36 to drop on a single wrench!
Eric_Shea
I was going to mention a 6-sided box and... a MAPP torch but, if you don't want to spend $36.00 for a wrench you probably don't want to spend $49.00 for a MAPP torch. (you can find 6-sided for less)

Gents -- A MAPP torch is a necessity with a 914, not a luxury.
swl
Actually $50 for a MAPP is something that even I would spring for. You just can't get any serious heat from a propane torch and you need heat on frozen bolts.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 5 2007, 09:13 PM) *

I was going to mention a 6-sided box and... a MAPP torch but, if you don't want to spend $36.00 for a wrench you probably don't want to spend $49.00 for a MAPP torch. (you can find 6-sided for less)

Gents -- A MAPP torch is a necessity with a 914, not a luxury.

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

That and a good impact rubber mallet, a few good (((WACKS))) and its off.
rwjames
QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 3 2007, 08:19 PM) *

I use a 19mm box-open wrench. Open end wrenches only touch 2 sides of the bolt where box wrench will sit on all 6 sides. Put box side on the bolt, open side I interlock another large box wrench (7/8 inch) for leverage. Heave-Ho!

Great idea! I have used this interlocking wrench trick when removing calipers and it does give you the extra torque to losen the bolt. Heat and penetrants can help, but ultimately this method is necessary for me.

I have also used a hydraulic floor jack with the interlocking wrenches to remove some of the really stubborn bolts. Just take the normal safety precaustions to block the front wheels, jack up the rear on jack stands.....Doesn't work on all the bolts though, due to accessability.

Good luck!
davep
Talking about torches, I have an acetylene plumbers torch. No oxygen tank, so not as hot as a regular oxy-acet torch. Nice fine flame for pinpoint control.
orthobiz
And I was going to recommend the Sears Craftsman weirdo open end wrenches that work on rounded corner bolts. Somehow they bite the flats at two points and don't care if the bolt has been ruined with previous attempts at removal. They look fairly beefy and up to the task. I never used one...

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.