Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battery Cover
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Johny Blackstain
How was the old black plastic battery cover attached? BTW- does not fit Optima... terminal positions are too narrow for the old cover.
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Aug 3 2007, 09:02 PM) *

How was the old black plastic battery cover attached? BTW- does not fit Optima... terminal positions are too narrow for the old cover.

The early cover used a round elastic band that hooked over the tops of the tabs on the end of the cover and under the battery's side lip. The later style cover covered the whole battery and has tabs on the sides tha clipped unto the sides of the battery's top.

I'm not sure either would work correctly with an Optima battery.
Pat Garvey
The original cover, with the rubber loop, was replaced by the fuel line campaign with a cobbled up Audi cover. I recall that it was an Audi part (#211.914.411), but haven't tried to verify. When I say it was cobbled up, I mean that the local mechanic snipped chucks from it until it fit. They are usually pretty ugly.

I always use my original, but I have a four & a drip pan. If I had a six, I'd grit my teeth & use that later one, at least for daily driving.

In the pics, the one on the left is the original. Sorry, the pics are low-res. If anyone wants hi-res send me your e-mail addy.
Pat
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 4 2007, 08:18 PM) *

The original cover, with the rubber loop, was replaced by the fuel line campaign with a cobbled up Audi cover. I recall that it was an Audi part (#211.914.411), but haven't tried to verify. When I say it was cobbled up, I mean that the local mechanic snipped chucks from it until it fit. They are usually pretty ugly.

I always use my original, but I have a four & a drip pan. If I had a six, I'd grit my teeth & use that later one, at least for daily driving.

In the pics, the one on the left is the original. Sorry, the pics are low-res. If anyone wants hi-res send me your e-mail addy.
Pat

For those 914-4 owners who do not mind being "dinged" at a Concours and would rather protect the battery area, apply a layer of black racing tape to the underside of the grille "wing" adjacent to the engine cover.

You'd be surprised how much water is diverted from the battery area by this simple technique.

Also not only place a battery absorbent pad under the battery, cut one to the profile of the cover and place it immediately under the cover to pickup possible battery fumes before it mixes with any moisture present. Learned this trick some 30 plus years ago on my 914-4 and I can honestly say it has kept my paint in the "hell hole" area intact.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Aug 6 2007, 10:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 4 2007, 08:18 PM) *

Pat

For those 914-4 owners who do not mind being "dinged" at a Concours and would rather protect the battery area, apply a layer of black racing tape to the underside of the grille "wing" adjacent to the engine cover.

You'd be surprised how much water is diverted from the battery area by this simple technique.

Also not only place a battery absorbent pad under the battery, cut one to the profile of the cover and place it immediately under the cover to pickup possible battery fumes before it mixes with any moisture present. Learned this trick some 30 plus years ago on my 914-4 and I can honestly say it has kept my paint in the "hell hole" area intact.

Nice tips!
Rather than being "dinged", why not just pull the tape off before the judging & put fresh on after?
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 6 2007, 10:19 PM) *

Nice tips!
Rather than being "dinged", why not just pull the tape off before the judging & put fresh on after?

Never had the need to as I never have campaigned my 914-4, and there is little reason to tape of the wing grille on my 914-6 with the rest of the engine grille area sans rain pan.

I do know that the tape trick is a one use only. I've never been able to reattach the tape once removed from the underside of the grille. At least to the point that I'm comfortable that the tape won't become undone and sucked into the fan.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Aug 7 2007, 01:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 6 2007, 10:19 PM) *

Nice tips!

Never had the need to as I never have campaigned my 914-4, and there is little reason to tape of the wing grille on my 914-6 with the rest of the engine grille area sans rain pan.

I do know that the tape trick is a one use only. I've never been able to reattach the tape once removed from the underside of the grille. At least to the point that I'm comfortable that the tape won't become undone and sucked into the fan.

Understand your concern! And here's why - think I've told this story before - somewhere.

1974 - Pocono Parade, my first Parde concours win. A friend of mine, Bob White (Chicago) hd a (?) Conda Green early 911 & we all expected it to win. It was a very HOT day that seemed to have no end & class winners were all told to keep the cars is place for final Division judging.

Jan (my wife) & I just kept dusting, as did Bob. But he was a zone rep at the time & when called away for PCA business, threw some Porsche shop towel over the fan shroud of his 911 to keep dust off. Well, I didn't win division - but Bob did! When he was called to bring his 911 up for division trophy, he jumped in & fired up. The shop towels were sucked into the fan! Stopped it dead!

We hand pushed his car to the judging podium to get his win!

Any time I bitch about PCA, remind me of the good times. Those are the things that make us buddies!

The point is, particularly with you six cylinder guys, what out for loose objects! Andif, unlike 4 banger guys, you need a push - we'll be there.
Pat
2pointOH
Any help on the correct battery cover strap for a 914-6? Have an original cover but not sure what strap goes with it and where to find one??

Thanks--John
Cap'n Krusty
"211.914.411" is a VW number, not Audi. I worked at a dealership when the battery covers were still mostly there, and I remember only gravity as a hold down. Never saw any rubber thingies. The Cap'n
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 8 2008, 07:51 PM) *

"211.914.411" is a VW number, not Audi. I worked at a dealership when the battery covers were still mostly there, and I remember only gravity as a hold down. Never saw any rubber thingies. The Cap'n

Oh great Krusty One - you are correct in that the replacement DID have a VW part number. I was told (and who knows if this correct) that the "program" cover was supplied by Audi, specifically the Audi 4000. If you look at any of the program cover, you'll see that they have been cut, crimped & mangled to make them fit. Quite frankly.... they're grossly crude.

Now, as to the rubber "thingies", they are real. I suspect that many of the early owners, or thier mechanics, threw the thing in a corner because it's a bit of a pain in the ass to make fit. So, the cover would slide off with the first autocross, or hard drive. Or, remember this? We used to have to top off our batteries with H2O, so the cover and "thingy" would have to be removed. Once again, a slit bitch to replace the "thingy", so many probably got pitched. They are REAL though. Look at the earlier posts/pics of mine. Original.

And...as far as I know the cover & "thingy" were the same on a six (which really needs the coverage).

My 2 cents worth & my eyes are crapping out.
Pat
JeffBowlsby
But the HO cover has the coolest sticker... biggrin.gif

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 8 2008, 10:44 PM) *

But the HO cover has the coolest sticker... biggrin.gif

Here's what I think the sticker SHOULD have said....

"Danger!
Use of this cover will NOT stop battery slop!
You have your choices:
1. Leave the cover on & slop battery acid into the tray & down onto, and destroying the rear suspension mount!

2. Leave the cover off & slop battery acid onto the high pressure fuel hoses, risking a devastating fire!

Have a nice day!"
Pat
jk76.914
Is this how it goes? I just guessed. I got mine at AA.

Jim
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.