Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TimK's electric 914 video!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
racunniff
Link: http://914ev.blogspot.com/2007/08/my-first-ev-video.html

smilie_pokal.gif

This is the same 144 volt AC kit I'm (slowly) installing: http://volt914.blogspot.com
scotty
A very slickly done install!

When gas hits $75 a gallon, I guess I'll convert mine.

I'm very tempted to find a roller and do this now though...it'd be a great project for my high school students. I'd want to go for power over range so we could dominate the high school drags (Woodburn or PDX)

...something like Otmar's 914 would be very cool for my 5-mile round trip to work (as the teacher, I'd have to check it out happy11.gif )
Bartlett 914
I would love to do a conversion. I am a little concerned about sticker shock. What kind of budget have you planned for this project?
racunniff
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Aug 4 2007, 07:44 PM) *

I would love to do a conversion. I am a little concerned about sticker shock. What kind of budget have you planned for this project?

Not counting restoration work (ahem) I estimate I'm about 15,000 into the conversion - the kit was roughly 12,500 and the batteries are another 1,500, with another 1,000 misc costs (tools, etc.). You don't do this if you're doing it to save money dry.gif

You can do it cheaper probably. But I wanted the AC kit for the following reasons:

1. Regen braking extends battery life for city driving
2. Regen braking adds to your stopping power (there are 1150 pounds of lead in there now...)
3. The AC kit seems to have a somewhat higher power to weight ratio than the DC kit (although that's a little debatable)

Some day I hope to replace the lead acid with exotic tech batteries (LiIon, etc.), but for now, that will cost you an *additional* 20-30K... blink.gif
Bartlett 914
Thats about how much I suspected. Maybe these conversions will come down a little. I agree it's not about saving money. I just think it would be great to go to the office every day in a clean emission free cool car. Maybe down the way a bit this will be doable for me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.