Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I want to clean my throttle body
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
levonfarra
Hi,
Can I spary some throttle body clean directely into t.b. clean with a towl and start engine up. Or is there something else I need to know.

thanks,

Lev
john rogers
You should remove it. The insides of the engine are pretty important and I would not want to blow that gunk, dirt, cleaner, etc into the inlet plenum. There used to be a shortage of base gaskets so make sure to get a new one or material to make a new one from scratch before removing.
Cap'n Krusty
Accepted practice is to spray it in the intake while holding the speed at about 2500-3000 RPM, but I've never found much benefit in cleaning the TB in an L- or D-jet car. Berryman's Chemtool is the factory choice of TB cleaners. The Cap'n
Rand
The inside of your throttle body is dirty?? That's a little scary. What kind of air cleaner do you run, and how often is it serviced?
shaggy
just remember that cleaners will screw up electrical components like air flow sensors.

its not hard to remove.
i did mine with brake cleaner and q tips. and the butterfly and corresponding screws and bar i did in carb cleaner.

it dosent take long and the hardest part is just to get the throttle return springs back on.

also note that the TB is aluminum and abrasive cleaners(carb and most chemical dips especially hot tanks) will eat aluminum and you will retuen to find part or no TB left.

-jim
tod914
I had the 2.0 throttle body gaskets remanufactured. pm me if u need one.
Brando
Best cleaning practice so far...

Take the throttle body off of the car.

Take off any electrical or plastic parts.

Let it sit in a vat of carburetor cleaner for a day in the sunlight. Stir it up every few hours but don't get any on you!

Next day, take it out, clean with solven or brake parts cleaner, hose it off, hit it with compressed air and re-assemble.

The carburetor cleaner can be bought in a 5 gallon drum from Kragen...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.