Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny shipping, what is most best and cost efective
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hwgunner
I have a couple sideshift transmitions sitting in my garage just waiting to be sold. Problem is I hate shipping large heavy items because I never know what the best way is and it always seems like a MPITA. So I need to get rid of these and want to have the shipping figured out first. beerchug.gif
gregrobbins
Buy a large plastic storage tub at Walmart. Usually they are blue. First, put the trannie in a large garbage bag to avoid leakes (you should drain the oil to cut down on weight and mess), then I brace the mounting ears with a 2 X 4 and pack real good with rolled up cardboard for protection on all sides.

They ship UPS for around $110. I have a UPS shop 1/4 mile away and they are good to work with. I hear Grayhound is a little cheaper, but their terminal is a long way from the house. I have shipped four this way with no problems.
Cap'n Krusty
Fedex ground.

The Cap'n
rhodyguy
i sent one via gh from tacoma to orlando(?) for roughly $65 and change a year or so ago. you MUST drain the gear lube (no big deal). just roll the trans up in 6mil plastic a couple of times, and duct tape the ends closed. no pallet, no exspensive plastic tub. it made it there in 4 days iirc.

k
BMartin914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 4 2007, 02:22 PM) *

Fedex ground.

The Cap'n

agree.gif

$76 from Denver to Knoxville.
Dr Evil
I use Grey Hound and pay no more than $75 coast to coast. As K said, drain the oil and wrap in shrink wrap. All good to go!
echocanyons
In my recent but limited experience I had a heavy 915 shipped to me in a wooden crate via fed ex. from southern oregon to central cal. it was ~75$. I think there wt. limit is 150 lbs or something and this was under the wire, i am sure a 901 would easily be under the wire.

i have had good experiences with greyhound too but not with a trans.
IronHillRestorations
I made a crate with two plates of 3/4" plywood, one for the bellhousing and one for the tail housing, and then put four 2x2's at the four corners, and then cased the whole thing with double ply cardboard. I countersunk bolt holes for bolts to the bellhousing and then for the mufflerhanger bolts. I had to drill a hole for the mainshaft and then cut out some to relieve the area at the tail housing for the speedo drive section.

Alot of work, I know but the trans was getting a spendy ltd slip and a total rebuild with all new bearings, syncros, etc and I wanted to make sure it would get back in good shape. I went round trip UPS no problems. But I'm a UPS shipper.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.