Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing badges and engine grill, windows from doors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tobra
Looks like it is a little plastic grommet deal, same in both places, do they just slide off the pin?. Want to remove black grill from engine lid and numbers off back for painting.

Also taking out door windows, any tricks to doing this? Can I take out glass and leave regulators in there, or should I remove all of it?

Would appreciate any disassembly tips anyone has. Would just as soon buy as little stuff as possible due to breakage or bendage
Richard Casto
I haven't removed the grill from the lid, but the engine grill on each side of the car that is mounted to the body has little rubber coated metal push nuts. McMaster-Carr calls them "Push Nuts for unthreaded shaft". As far as I can tell they are made to be pushed on once and a pain in the ass to remove. Sort of like those plastic cap nuts that go on the end of an unthreaded rod on the axels of many toys.

They do seem to slide off, but they don't want to come off easily. I ended up tearing about 1/2 of mine up as I removed them when I removed those grills. I can see them coming off much easier if there was a special tool to apply the pressure in just right place. Like a mini claw hammer style tool. I have not sourced replacements yet (McMaster-Carr doesn't seem to have direct replacements).
VaccaRabite
The black nuts that hold on the grill:
Get a hold of them with a pair of vice grips, and pull straight down. It will take a couple tries, and at least 3 of them will be really stuck on there and won't come off unless you let loose a sting of profanity. It helps to do this on a hot and humid day, trust me on this.

For the door windows. Remove all of the trim. it all comes off, if it does not look for a hidden screw. The door glass is just friction fit into a channel. Once the trim is off, you will be able to carefully remove the door glass fairly easily. I took the cranks and other hardware off the doors as well to make them easier to paint. Once you have the door that much apart, whats another couple pieces of hardware.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.