Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thunderhill Update
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
nine14cats
Doris and I are at Thunderhill Raceway this weekend for a 3 day event. Weather is hot but not unbearable ~mid 90's. Track is good although the heat is affecting horsepower, at least in our car. I'm currently running 2:14's on a old set of Vracers. Tomorrow we will put on fresh tires for practice and the time runs. It looks to be too hot to get to 2:09's this time. Maybe this fall.

I have been working on Lucille and other folks cars non-stop since Friday noon. It has turned into one of those weekends where everyone pitches together to keep everyone running. It started with my 3rd run of the day Friday (right before noon). Lucille lost the left CV bolts coming out of turn 6. I had to be towed in. I found that the CV worked itself loose and that we had damaged 2 of the 6 CV bolts beyond use. I located 2 bolts from a 944 guy, re-packed the CV and re-attached it. We were back up during our lunch hour.

Later in the day the same guy I got the bolts from snapped off his AC compressor bracket on the track. The AC compressor is attached to his alternator so there was issues about driving the car home in the dark. We moved out Lucille from our canopy in the pits and he used our tools and his to pull the brackets off. The track had a motorcycle repair shop open, so he was able to get the parts welded. We got him back up and running for the drive home to the Bay Area in 2 hours.

The real news is that Doris had a breakthrough in her driving this weekend. An absolute breakthough! She has found the "zone" where she is pushing the car closer to it's limits and has picked up almost 8 seconds a lap from her previous best. She now lines up at the beginning of her run group and leaves them during the session. I went for a ride with her after I had finished instructing my student load and I was blown away at her lines and how fast she was carrying speed through turns. I am a happy camper! clap56.gif

We did have a scare with her today as she had a big off with another car in turn 6. A 964 in front of her lost it in the turn and went spinning backwards at speed through the apex of the turn, bringing all kinds of dirt and plant life onto the track right in the middle of the turn. Doris came through the turn, hit the marbles and did a 360. The Boxster spun out but instead of following the 964 into the outside of the turn, she spun to the inside. They ended up facing each other across the track from one another. Luckily Doris is fine and not too much damage to Lucille. Going sideways at speed through the dirt forced an unbelieveable amount of dirt in the car and into the undercarriage. The right rear tire has rocks forced down into the bead of the tire. It's weird looking at rocks caving in the tire at the bead while still holding air. All 4 tires are flatspotted big time. It's going to take us quite alot of work to clean up the car again. But other than a small crack in the front spoiler and more damage to the plastic wheel well liners, were are still up and running with our back up practice tires. Doris brought the car in under it's own power and we did a safety check, did a little plastic "surgery", and should be ready to do battle tomorrow.

Then at the end of the day a driver in a Boxster pitted next to me overheated his car while on track. He came in and after the car cooled we went through his cooling system to check for leaks. As he was a newbie it appears he was driving around the track all day in 3rd gear, which will boil your car pretty fast on a 3 mile track with temperatures at 95 to 100 degrees. I have extra coolant for our Boxster, so I showed him how to bleed the coolant in his closed system and we had him back up and running before leaving the track for the day. The asphalt gets pretty warm here at Thunderhill.... laugh.gif This is a sweaty sport!

Doris and I also are trying out cool suits this weekend. They really are refreshing, but we only have the shirts and portable refrigerant cans. We will need to invest in the "ice chest" system and mount it in the car. Truthfully, the portable cans only work for several minutes. In the car during a 25 minute session plus pit staging, you exhaust the can's supply of refrigerant quickly. While you can feel the cooling effect, it does not last and the cans are too expensive to use. If anyone has wondered if the cool shirt portable system works the answer is yes...for a few minutes. In practical terms the answer is no, it does not work in the real world of a track car with driver's suit in 95 degree heat.

Hopefully we will have no more drama for the weekend. We have 3 practice sessions and then the timed runs. It would be nice to have an easy day to end the weekend. I don't look forward to cleaning up the Boxster though. That thing is filthy!

Bill P.
smj
Hey Bill!

We haven't met, but should have -- I walked by you a number of times through the day but you always seemed pretty busy, and now I know why. I have a picture or two I'll post here in a minute.

I was wondering why that pretty red Boxster was getting towed in, and was hoping it was nothing major when I saw you jacking up the driver's side. I was also wondering what happened to the fellow in the early red 944 -- glad you were able to help get him on his way safely. And of course, marvelous to hear that you and Doris had a good time, and that Doris was doing so well.

Gotta say, that's why I love these events. It's the people as much or more than the cars... I'm hoping we (Diablo PCA) can lay on a few more days next season, so watch your calendar. In the meantime, I'll just keep an eye out for an update from the rest of the weekend... popcorn[1].gif
smj
Probably the CV bolts...
smj
Best way to beat the heat -- stay out of the sun...
smj
"So instead if you change your line and come in this way..."
smj
Randy's about to get one helluva ride...
smj
Ron Leppke was on-site as the more-or-less official photographer for Friday. Here's the links for the photos he's put online: http://web.mac.com/lepprd/iWeb/Site/Thunderhill%20DE.html
nine14cats
Thanks for the pictures Steve! thumb3d.gif Next time just stop on by, there's always time to chat!

Bill P.
nine14cats
On the 3rd day of the Thill Time Trial the weather cooled off to mid 80's and the day was very pleasant. It appears Doris now has her 3rd TT lap record (she has one for Buttonwillow (CCW) in the old "Y" class in our 914-6 and one at Buttonwillow (CW) in TT8L in the Boxster). I was proud of her for sticking in there after her big off and she sure looked like she was having fun!

I also didn't do too bad during timed runs. The 993's on Hoosiers in my class ran mid 2:10's. I didn't see what the Cayman S did, so we'll have to wait there. 2 996 drivers ran 2:11's and 2:13's. I ran a 2:12.4 which I was happy with considering the heat and the fact I ran the timed runs on the Spec tires (Victoracers 225/255 combo). The smaller front tires made the car push a little. I'm now kicking myself for not putting on the V710's I use for timed runs as I'm usually 1.5 to 2 seconds faster on those tires.

I'll post my in-car Time Trial vid later. You can see how I was overbraking and missing the apexes. The car had a 2:09 in it, but the driver didn't! laugh.gif

Overall, a great weekend and I can't wait for the next event in September!

Bill P.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.