Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: distributor orientation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
itsaporsche914
after my 74 2.0 webbers stopped running, i started looking for the problem. the dist. was loose, so i turned it ,back then forth. found bad fuel pump . replaced that . still wont start. can anyone tell if it is in the right spot or is there a way to position it (markings)?
Brando
Doesn't matter how the distributor is positioned relative to the case... Just relative to the rotor/crank.

Open the vent on top of the fan shroud. Turn the engine over by hand until you see the TDC mark. Look to see if the rotor on the distributor is positioned under the point for cylinder #1.

You can also pry back the rear tin piece and look for the TDC mark on the flywheel if you can't see it on the fan. You may have a TDC and a timing mark on the fan so looking at the flywheel might be better.

Once you're on TDC #1, you can try starting the car and making minor adjustments until your timing is correct.

**IF you have an adjustable timing light, you can set the car at TDC 1, put the trigger over the plug wire for #1, set to your specific timing and rotate the distributor housing until you see it flash. Then you're close enough to get it running and make the final adjustment.
itsaporsche914
thanks for the info
rhodyguy
your 009 dist should have a little line on the top rim. i highlighted this one for clarity. in theory this should be the spark point for cyl#1. follow the plug wire from cyl #1 to the cap terminal. turn the engine over ensuring it's at tdc for #1. the dist rotor should be point at that line. if not, rotate the dist body so the line and the rotor are together. this is close, although prob a bit retarded. your car should start.

k
itsaporsche914
never mind found it
rhodyguy
dr side. cyl nearest the flwheel.

k
itsaporsche914
thanks
r_towle
rotor points almost right at the hole in the fan shroud then you are set at number one.

Make sure the firing order is correct, and the wires are hooked up correctly.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.