Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Battery Is Best For A 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kfieler
Click to view attachment

Okay... after sitting 10 years, this 1973 914 1.7 is cleaned-up, "prepped" and ready to be started!

BUT FIRST I NEED A BATTERY!

1. I am considering an Optima "gel" battery, but don't know which one is going to work best for a car with "stock" battery tray and stock battery cables.

Red top or Yellow top? Top post or side post? If you have an Optima, which one do you use?

2. What is the best way to mount an Optima battery to a stock battery tray?

3. I have never started the car and don't know if the engine is "junk" or not. Therefore, in your opinion, should I jump into an expensive (Optima) battery or first buy a cheap "Pep Boys Special" and replace the battery with a "gel cel" later if I decide to keep the project going?

4. Am I overlooking any other options (other than a cheap conventional or Optima battery)?

I really appreciate any feedback you experts out there can provide!

Thanks in advance for your input!

- Keith
orthobiz
Optima for me.

Start here:

Optima discussion

Paul
Rand
Optima red top 34R. (Yellow top is deep cycle - best for applications that run down between charges, unlike a car that has an alternator keeping it topped off.)

I like the Odyssey PC680 because it has enough cranking power and it is a lot smaller/lighter. If you have a lot of accessories drawing on the battery though, you may need the larger Optima.
jimtab
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 6 2007, 03:32 PM) *

Optima red top 34R. (Yellow top is deep cycle - best for applications that run down between charges, unlike a car that has an alternator keeping it topped off.)

I like the Odyssey PC680 because it has enough cranking power and it is a lot smaller/lighter. If you have a lot of accessories drawing on the battery though, you may need the larger Optima.

agree.gif Love mine.
Joe Ricard
Oddessy PC680
12 pounds can be laid on it's side/upside down/ right side up. don't matter.

There is one a step bigger also if your car is hard starting.
kfieler
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Aug 7 2007, 07:42 AM) *

Oddessy PC680
12 pounds can be laid on it's side/upside down/ right side up. don't matter.

There is one a step bigger also if your car is hard starting.

That is great information! I was not familiar with Odyssey Batteries until this thread.

I've seen Optima installations, but never an Odyssey in a 914. Does anyone have a photo they could share (showing what the Odyssey looks like installed in a 914)?

Thanks!

- Keith
Joe Ricard
Mine is not in the stock location. But it will lay down just perfect in the battery tray. You can use a metal strap or Nylon strap to hold it down.
I did not get the posts. Just put some soldered loop cable ends on the cables and secured them with the cap screws included with the battery.
Rand
QUOTE(kfieler @ Aug 7 2007, 09:58 AM) *

Does anyone have a photo they could share (showing what the Odyssey looks like installed in a 914)?

Stock location on it's side, ala Retrotech...
IPB Image

Mark (mskala)...
IPB Image

Rear trunk ala JP...
IPB Image

More pics can be found by searching for "odyssey."
They have also been mounted in the cabin behind the passenger seat and in the front trunk, among other places. Personally I wouldn't run the heavy cable all the way to the front trunk for such a light battery.
anderssj
Just put another Optima 34R in my car--to replace the one I bought in 1992 (that one got moved to moved it to the 914 sitting at the shop).

I use a quick disconnect on the negative terminal, so there's no drain on the battery when the car is parked. COuld be part of the reason it lasted so long?

Best,
mskala
Wow, I don't even have to post any more laugh.gif my pic is already there
Rand
QUOTE(mskala @ Aug 8 2007, 10:43 AM) *

Wow, I don't even have to post any more laugh.gif my pic is already there

laugh.gif From a previous thread. Nicely done. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.