Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: VW bus question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Dr Evil
So my friend and I were talking and I mentioned that I would like to sell my 4Runner and would love to get a VW bus. He tells me that friend of his has a VW bus in perfect physical shape, but not running, hidden in a warehouse in Philly. He said that that guy would let it go to him for a song if I were interested. When I asked what year he said that he was not sure, but it was the one with "all those windows all over it, 25, 21 something like that."

Arent those worth like, a lot? Should I investigate further?

He also has a line on a combi that was imported from Germany and is in great shape other than one hole of rust. Possibly another low cost acquisition.
Ferg
nope not worth much rolleyes.gif

give me your friends number idea.gif

21 and 23 window bus's are worth big $$, I'd be in a car going to see it now, if I were you.

Ferg beerchug.gif
Dr Evil
If your serious, I can be an intermediary if I dont buy it. Contact me and let me know what to look for and such.
dflesburg
Highly collectable car.
jasons
Finding one of those in a barn would *ALMOST* be like finding a Shelby GT350 in a barn. A rust bucket with a VIN is probably worth 5 digits.
Dr Evil
I had a feeling as such. I am all over it then. biggrin.gif
jaminM3
Cool thumb3d.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Put it this way, my neighbor just added a 23 window to his rotating collection. No motor, but otherwise all there down to the smallest detail, and paid a bit under $20K. Made a 1500 mile Banzai run to fetch it in southern AZ the next day. After he's done, it'll be well nigh perfect, and it'll be worth $70K. Not bad for the less than $30K he'll have in it, and it'll sell the day he puts up the ad, if not before. He's 6 months into a similar 21 window, less investment, but it'll also bring in major dollars. Best part for him, is he keeps a really good body man and an excellent upholsterer busy enough that they can almost do just his projects, he makes a ton, and he can still go to his job every day. The Cap'n
Rand
Saw this one at a local car show and had to snap a pic...
John
Now that would make a hell of a hood badge for a 914!
Dr Evil
QUOTE(John @ Aug 6 2007, 09:27 PM) *

Now that would make a hell of a hood badge for a 914!

Your SICK man! av-943.gif
scotty b
Grab the Kombi too thumb3d.gif .....I hate you ........... dry.gif
Dr Evil
I hate me too right now biggrin.gif If you want the Kombi, let me know. I would love to seed the family with my good fortune wink.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 6 2007, 05:55 PM) *

I hate me too right now biggrin.gif If you want the Kombi, let me know. I would love to seed the family with my good fortune wink.gif

Do I want it yes.....do I have the $$$ NO....do I need another NO.....I'm more interested in the Am. junk I asked you about right now. BUT do not let the Kombi escape your grips. If the price is right.....Oh GOD .....I might bite headbang.gif headbang.gif
type47
ahhh, not the old bus in a barn in philly story.... biggrin.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(type47 @ Aug 6 2007, 06:13 PM) *

ahhh, not the old bus in a barn in philly story.... biggrin.gif

Yeah, it belongs to some old lady. She'd going to start cleaning out the garage so he can get to it and take some pics rolleyes.gif
Leo Imperial
How about a trade?????????

Click to view attachment

OPPS!

I mean for this???

Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
I want your bus, but I can poop my own diapers! Leo, I need to talk to you. You are a candidate for a health project I need to do happy11.gif
Leo Imperial
PM sent, cut me open.
GWN7
I bought a 72 Westy last yr......had it appraised due to my ongoing fight with my insurance company about it. In #3 shape it's worth $9200 (15K if it was a #1) acording to the collector car value guide.

Check out the prices of split window buses on Samba.com
Dr Evil
I just went to Samba, WOW! Yup, gonna have to sell something to pay for that rolleyes.gif
KELTY360
Sell your 914 for 25 large. Buy the bus and a nice driver 914. Restore the bus and sell for big bucks; next thing you know you've got a big garage with lift & fridge and great wife.....and you haven't even finished your internship. Just do it!
Dr Evil
And, I havent finished my internship because I failed out of medical school due to diverting my attentions thusly wink.gif In a few years, that will be the case, but for right now, NO MORE PROJECTS! If it cant be left alone for 5 years before I need to touch it, I dont want it wink.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 6 2007, 10:06 PM) *

And, I havent finished my internship because I failed out of medical school due to diverting my attentions thusly wink.gif In a few years, that will be the case, but for right now, NO MORE PROJECTS! If it cant be left alone for 5 years before I need to touch it, I dont want it wink.gif

Well then, sell the benz, buy the bus and you can use it to store parts for the next five years!

biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
av-943.gif
Shhhh, dont give away the plan
KELTY360
thumb3d.gif Your secret's safe with me.

shades.gif

Seriously, an old bus makes great yard art and old hippies will knock on your door wanting to buy it......rich old hippies.
Dr Evil
Ok, the thing I was calling a Kombi is not a kombi, it is what ever you call that thing that looks like a 1/2 bus 1/2 truck. What is that?
Leo Imperial
Single or double cab. I'll take it, so stop talking about it here in public splat.gif
McMark
sad.gif I've been searching for a nice double cab. If nobody else steps up, keep me in mind Mike.
Coy
There's a guy running around Portland that owns a painting company and drives a double cab. It's not even fixed up, and it just reaks of cool! Somebody here has to buy that thing!
Dr Evil
Looking on the Samba for buses and double cabs and almost all of them are in CA, OR, WA....what gives rolleyes.gif They are coin, too. I had no idea they went up so much in price.
GWN7
That's what my insurance company can't understand ......

buses and double cabs and almost all of them are in CA, OR, WA....

I have a quote for transporting a replacement up here for $2,600....there are almost 0 buses for sale up here......or they are "projects" and I need another one of those like a third thumb...they won't factor in transportation costs in my settlement....
Dr Evil
Well, his idea of a steal for the bus was $5k. For that it better be something special (to be a real find), otherwise it is just your average bus.

I hope to talk to him tonight or tomorrow. There are a lot of single cabs for sale in the west for not too much. They all need some love, though.
Rand
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 7 2007, 04:55 PM) *

Well, his idea of a steal for the bus was $5k. For that it better be something special (to be a real find), otherwise it is just your average bus.

I thought we were talking about a 21 window, or a pickup/double cab? Those are special and $5k could be a steal. Damn, what did I miss while I was in the bathroom? laugh.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 7 2007, 12:24 AM) *

Ok, the thing I was calling a Kombi is not a kombi, it is what ever you call that thing that looks like a 1/2 bus 1/2 truck. What is that?

Damn I hate you, you muther fucher, I hate you with all my blackend heart chair.gif
Dr Evil
What? You like the single/dual cab better or worse?
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 7 2007, 08:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 7 2007, 04:55 PM) *

I thought we were talking about a 21 window, or a pickup/double cab? Those are special and $5k could be a steal. Damn, what did I miss while I was in the bathroom? laugh.gif

Sorry, let me clarify...med skool has made me car dumb, its true.

I have a line on a potential warehouse find 21 or 23 window bus. I need to get more info, but when he described it to me and I asked about the little roof windows he concurred. He said we could likely get it for $5k so I am hoping it is what we think it is and not just a regular bus.

I also have a line an a double cab that is in pretty descent shape. I have no more info on this one for now, but hope to get more tomorrow.

I really want a bus, but if the price is right I would go for a nice dual cab biggrin.gif
I intend to help flip the bus if it is a 21/23 window.
Dr Evil
Well I verified with my friend today the type of VWs he has access to. He said that the bus is a dead ringer for the one pictured below and and the "3 door truck" is a split window dual cab biggrin.gif When I showed him how much these sold for he was like, "well lets get 'em!"
scotty b
dry.gif arsehole dry.gif
Dr Evil
Cant you just be happy for a brother/ Dont be hater mueba.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 13 2007, 06:05 PM) *

Cant you just be happy for a brother/ Dont be hater mueba.gif

dry.gif A hater A A A A

hole
Dr Evil
Aw, c'mon grouphug.gif dont be a sourpuss.
scotty b
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 13 2007, 06:08 PM) *

well at least you got the A in that time. dry.gif I'm just jealous. All I ever seem to come across is.........crap? owned.gif
markb
QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 13 2007, 06:04 PM) *

dry.gif arsehole dry.gif

agree.gif

biggrin.gif
markb
QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 13 2007, 06:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 13 2007, 06:08 PM) *

well at least you got the A in that time. dry.gif I'm just jealous. All I ever seem to come across is.........crap? owned.gif

Me too.......
scotty b
[quote name='markb' date='Aug 13 2007, 06:10 PM' post='934620']
cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Aug 13 2007, 06:09 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
[quote name='Dr Evil' post='934617' date='Aug 13 2007, 06:08 PM']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Me too.......
[/quote]

Let's kidnap him...assume his identity and take over the evil operation !!
Dr Evil
cat.gif gayfight.gif
type11969
Evil - you need someone to check out that 21 or 23 for you, a place to crash or a place to eat, drop me a line.

Or if you need someone to take it off your hands too. I was looking for a mid 70s westy but I guess I could deal with a 21/23 . . .

-Chris
Dr Evil
Sorry brother, this 23 window is a pure investment and he/we are looking to get it to $60K status...the one pictured above is on sale on the samba for $60k right now. The dual cab, on the other hand, will likely be purchase-patch-and pass, but Leo has first offer. biggrin.gif
type11969
Kidding about the 23, you don't pass on an opportunity like that, but the offer stands on food, beer, and a place to crash.

but wait, theres more, I have 2 sweet unknown tailshifter trannys you can have in trade for the 23 . . . I know you are always looking for spare parts for your rebuilds. Whaddya think??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.