Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuilt tranny too tight?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenpolives
I finally got my Car/ rebuilt tranny back from the mechanic today, new 1st gear, slider, and syncro. However getting into first is very hard and reguires a good amount of force, is this normal? and will it get better as the gears are worked more.

No grinds on anything like that I am happy to say.

74 side shifter

Thanks
SGB
When I got my gear stack back from Dr Evil it was a little stiff for a few weeks. Never crunched or clanked, just a lot of resistance on the lever.
Dr Evil
Yup, normal. Your synchro band is beefier and your 1st gear stuff actually has teeth! They will mesh soon, you must drive it! If it grinds, that is a different story. Congratulations!
ChrisFoley
Is it the same wrt getting out of first gear? I've driven the LE restoration car a bit and getting into or out of first is a bit troublesome so far.
Dr Evil
Good to hear the LE is driving biggrin.gif In and out can be tight. The synchro also needs to move into its happy place where its blocks and bands are all optimized. There is no real way to screw up 1st as far as the shifting mechanism goes. Its straight forward. Ya just got to work it in. You can shift it like ya mean it and it will not grind. It is not an internal shift rod binding (only possible internal cause and verrrrrrrrrrrry unlikely).
PRS914-6
Here is something I posted on the bird board for a 915 but it would work the same for a 901. Basically the new syncros texture is like sand paper and until you get it rubbed off, it will be stiff. Try this, it works...

I thought I would share this since it worked so well. The "concept" but not the method came from John Walker and Carquip.

I fully rebuilt a 915. New sliders, syncros, dog teeth, bearings etc. As usual, it shifted very stiff.

I filled it with cheap 90 wt. With the car on jack stands and the drive shafts disconnected I ran the engine at about 2500 rpm and started shifting gears back and forth with NO CLUTCH. I probably shifted 200 times fast\back and forth. Then I hooked up the drive shafts and mounted the tires and repeated the procedure with no clutch again but still on the stands. This added extra weight and inertia for the syncros to have to slow down.

I then dumped the cheap oil and refilled with a quality oil and took it for a ride. This thing shifts like butter! Can't believe it's a 915......Needless to say, I'm a happy camper.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.