Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Running light stays on when ignition is switched on
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
OK, I'm back to trying to fix my electrical problem. Currently my driver's front running light stays on when the ignition switch is turned on. I tried to diagnose it using the following steps, as provided by 904SVO with a link to this post:

Do these steps and let me know what happens.
With Key off!
left turn signal on= front and rear marker lights on front running light has both elements lit. rear marker working correctly
right turn signal on= front and rear marker lights on front running light has one element lit. rear marker working correctly
This is a quick check of the grounds for each light circuit
turn signal switch in netural
turn on parking lights=front and rear lights on
this checks the power and wiring to each light
Turn off parking lights
Turn on 4 way flasher
this check power and the flasher.
Turn off 4 way flasher.
Turn on key!
step on the brake pedal= rear brake lights should work
this check the fuse and brake switch
Check turn signals now, they should work
if both turn signal indicators lights light this is telling you
the bulb for the other side is burn out or is the wrong type
bulb installed or the flasher is bad.
Note. Turn signal inducator bulbs use the bulb for the other side for ground
to light it
Apply the hand brake= brake light should flash
checks the switch on EM brake and flasher

If any of these steps fail,

FIX IT first before doing the next step

I disconnected the driver's front running light wire, then tested all of the other steps. Everything appeared to be working correctly.

I cleaned the ground wires, on both sides, near the head light motors. I also checked that fuse #5 and #6 were good.

The car is at my shop, so I won't be able to verify anything until tomorrow, so please let me know what steps you would recommend me checking next...

-- Rob
904svo
Since step one failed on the left side with both bulbs lighting. The most likley
cause is the wires are shorted together some were!! Go back to step one and
try to find the short or where the two wires are connected together.

PS your 4 way flasher switch may be be wired wrong also.
watsonrx13
Where should I check, at the blinker housing, turn signal in the steering column, the fuse box connections?

-- Rob
904svo
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Aug 6 2007, 07:03 PM) *

Where should I check, at the blinker housing, turn signal in the steering column, the fuse box connections?

-- Rob

Start at the blinker housing. Let me know which color wire it is so we can check
its path into the car.

I'm glad I found this tread,..my car does the same thing! Very interested in the outcome of this question.

In the case of my car - the running lights ARE ALWAYS ON:(
Any suggestions with mine?

Thank you!
904svo
I look over the wiring diagram, the only way that I can see this happen is for the
turn signal switch is bad. You should be able to unplug the turn signal plug from
the sterring column and see if the lights go out. If they don't its in the light switch.

Hope this helps.

PS

This a saftey requirment in europe for parking the car a night on a road.
watsonrx13
QUOTE(904svo @ Aug 8 2007, 12:03 PM) *

I look over the wiring diagram, the only way that I can see this happen is for the
turn signal switch is bad. You should be able to unplug the turn signal plug from
the sterring column and see if the lights go out. If they don't its in the light switch.

Hope this helps.

PS

This a saftey requirment in europe for parking the car a night on a road.

Thanks, that's kind of what I thought was happening. Sorry I didn't respond yesterday, but it was a 'honey-do' day. I'm going by the shop after work and will let you know what the outcome is. Unfortunately I don't have internet access, so I'll post when I get home tonight....

-- Rob
BigDBass
it was a 'honey-do' day

Isn't that every day?
904svo
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Aug 8 2007, 10:29 AM) *

it was a 'honey-do' day

Isn't that every day?

My honey said do this, are you won't get any for awhile!!

watsonrx13
OK, I removed the turn signal switch....

1. You're going to have to remove the steering wheel...Here are the steps...

Click to view attachment

2. Twist the horn ring counter-clockwise...

Click to view attachment

3. Remove the horn ring, remember to detach the horn wire, then remove the large nut and washer. You can use a 1 1/4" socket....

Click to view attachment

4. Remove the steering wheel, then unscrew the (4) small screws that hold the turn signal/wiper washer to the steering column...

Click to view attachment

watsonrx13
5. Remove the knee pad. There are (1) small screw on each end and there are (5) larges bolts w/washers underneath...

Click to view attachment

6. Disconnect the (2) electrical connections underneath the steering column....

Click to view attachment

7. Now carefully pull the turn signal and the wiper washer out until you can see the hoses connected to the wiper washer...

Click to view attachment

8. The turn signal/wiper washer is now disconnected....

I cleaned all of the contacts, reinstalled and everything is now working correctly....

-- Rob
watsonrx13
BUT..... This small contact fell out and now I don't have the use of the horns...

Click to view attachment

Can someone tell me where it goes????

Pic #1 - front shot

Click to view attachment

Pic #2 - blinker side

Click to view attachment

Pic #3 - top shot

Click to view attachment

Pic #4 - wiper side

Click to view attachment

-- Rob
904svo
Check your pictures I believe this is it.

Click to view attachment

watsonrx13
Well, after dinner I started trying to fit it into various spots, but finally found this spot on the wiper/washer side....

Does this look correct?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

If this is correct, does anyone know what it's function is?

-- Rob
Joe Ricard
Nah, I think you need to flip it over. The hole looks like it would match up with one of the 4 long skinny screws that hold the whole thing together.

I think it provides a path to ground for the horn.

But I have really no idea.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.