Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Well, I dragged an ugly duckling home today!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
I looked long and hard for the ugliest 914 in Washington or Oregon while on vacation with my RV this summer and found one! After coming home with the RV, wife, dog and bird, I turned around and went back-up to Salem to pick-up a 75 914 and a ton of extra parts that came with the car. The paint job sucks, and the interior is less than pristine, but it's solid--the longs, battery tray, front trunk, and jack points, floorboards were all good...I will have to put a replacement panel in the rear part of the rear trunk near the tailights.

The 1.8 engine looks good and was just put in by the PO along with a set of 34 TIPO Webers... WTF.gif ...I don't know what's up with that small of carbs. Will a 1.8 run OK on that small of carbs? The carbs and linkage look new.

The car also came with an extra 1.8 motor, trans, and a zillion parts off a 73 & 74 parts car that came with the deal, i.e front and rear sways, dash, fuel pumps, another set of solex carbs, console with gauges, valances, 3 pairs of ripped seats, etc, etc. Looks like a wrecking yard in my garage right now.

Overall, should be nice winter project. I think I'm going start by gutting the car and stripping it down to bear metal, like I did my 74, and get the body straight , blocked and primered. Not to sure what I'm going to use as a powerplant, I have another 2.0 in the gargage that I could rebuild, or keep the 1.8. What I would really like to do is a conversion of some sort...sounds like fun. It would be great to have something with 2-250 horsepower that would be reliable (sorry Jake...no type IVs or Porsche sixes.
type47
dang it! i hate it when your ugliest car looks better than my pride and joy.... mad.gif
jonferns
Looks good, nice find!
JRust
Wow nice looking trailer! Man I should have asked for more than $200 for it. Glad you made it home Mark. Knowing you that car will look sweet next spring. If you need any parts I know a guy that just got a ton of them thumb3d.gif
Lou W
Are you selling the trailer? biggrin.gif

I really think that you should look at the subby conversions.......it sure would be fitting for a car from Washington/Oregon. biggrin.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Computers4kids:

That 914 looks great,good find. I have direct experence with those 34 ict carbs. Had a pair on my 1.7 ,in ran great,and the mileage was fantastic.

BUT above 55 mph it couldn,t get out of it's own way. Don,t try to pass anything on the highway,without miles of room to let wind up . IMO very
dangerous. Get a set Of weber 40,s 2 barrles it will really wake up that engine to something you will really like. My 2 cents Dave slap.gif
rhodyguy
it's my understanding CALTRANS will no longer allow you to cross the state line into oregon towing an empty trailer. jamie is a bad, bad, influence.

k
plymouth37
Nice find! That is the best looking ugly duckling I have ever seen!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.